Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-09, 05:35 AM   #1
Bigslick258
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Need help with rod and reel,

I Have a pflueger patriarch that i want to use for a froggin rig,

im looking at a couple rods, one of them is the St croix MOJO Bass Slop and frog, its a 7'0" heavy power fast action rod,

the only thing its a huge powerful rod that i think over powers the reel. and doesn't make a good match up, i was thinking a calcutta would look and feel better on the rod?

what do you guys use for froggin, round style bait casters or the newer really low profile reels that palm easily and are light weight, i would really appreciate some help on this one, By the way this is my first post, so i also want to say hello to everyone,
Bigslick258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-09, 07:27 AM   #2
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome Bigslick258, you joined a fine house here.
Has for a reel for froggin, I would think that any of the 7.1 reels would work.
Old 06-07-09, 07:35 AM   #3
Cavs1123

i dont know
Cavs1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-09, 07:35 AM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

I don't think you should be worried about your rod being to big! I want a 7' + H action rod, with a fat, or extra fast power! As long as the rod is stiff, and well balanced imo, it makes a good frog rod!

For my reel, I think a low profile bait caster, with a very fast gear ratio. 7.1:1 is great!

For you line, get 40lb braid or higher, I prefer 50 - 60lb through!
Old 06-07-09, 01:04 PM   #5
cassidyta

On my frog rods, I prefer the low profile reels simply because they are much lighter. I throw a lot of frogs so it does take it's toll.
I have a Calcutta fort big swimbaits. I love the reel, but fishing it on a large rod is a workout.
Old 06-08-09, 12:34 AM   #6
Bigslick258
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys,

another question is what kind of line? i know braid is the #1 choice, but all my expierence with it has been bad, should i just spool up with some 20-25 lb suffix mono?
Old 06-08-09, 04:22 AM   #7
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

For froggin I would stick with braid. Go like 50 lb power pro or suffix if you can afford it. It really is a plus when pullin bass out of the slop. I think you will begin to really like braid when used in the right situation and the right brand. That being said, you probably could get away with 20 lb suffix, but you will probably sacrifice some castability due to diameter, definitely some strength, and more missed hookups due to stretch.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 07:25 AM   #8
Bassboss

Yes! Go with braid! 40lb will do 50 - 60 lb is better! Power Pro, Sufix, and Fire line are great brands!
Old 06-08-09, 10:46 AM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

bigslick, welcome to the website.

Nowdays, I never worry about if a reel isn't powerful anough. With some reels pushing 24lb of drag, you can pretty much do whatever with it. I use low profile reel for all my bass fishing (except when using a spinning reel, of course). I personally never use more than 30lb braid for bass fishing, but if you think it necessary, you could go up to maybe 50 or 65, but I think that's overkill.

BB
Old 06-08-09, 06:25 PM   #10
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

So Bigslick.....I gotta ask...you a Texas Hold 'Em player? Or does Bigslick mean somethin else?
Old 06-08-09, 10:38 PM   #11
Bigslick258
BassFishin.Com Member

texas holdem player lol,

but anyway, i went out this morning with 50lb power pro, on a mojo slop n frog, with my patriarch, i have to say i was amazed how far i could cast a frog, cast really smooth, rod is a little heavy, but i pulled a 5 lb hog out of the slop with no problem at all, only thing im worried about now is the braided line ruining my rod, i've heard a few storys that the mojo line of st croix dont go to well with braid, i guess we will find out lol,
Old 06-08-09, 10:46 PM   #12
BigBassin144

with 50lb braid, you should be fine. Most rods nowdays are built with decent guides. If you're really worried, I'd get a Fuji SiC tip, since that's the guide that takes the most abuse from braid. You SHOULD be able to remove the old tip with a lighter (if it's epoxied on, which some newer rod tips aren't). Then get some 5 or 10 minute epoxy and glue the new one on. Allow to cure over night before fishing with it.

BB
Old 06-09-09, 06:42 AM   #13
Bigslick258
BassFishin.Com Member

How would i set my drag with 50lb power pro? im using the patriarch on my froggin rig, and like i said pulled in a 5 pound hog out of the junk no problem, but i was having problems with my drag all day, missing fish cause it was set to loose, losing fish while fighting them from the drag also being to loose,

i was light on my drag i go by what everybody says keep the drag light when using braid, im gonna try it a few more times out, and see if i can get used to it, if not im just gonna go with some 20lb suffix should be heavy enough for where i fish i like the power pro but i just don't want to strip my drag or snap my rod like i've been hearing alot lol.
Old 06-09-09, 07:11 AM   #14
Bigslick258
BassFishin.Com Member

by the way big bassin, i'am also from ohio, i made a trip out to the BPS in rossford last week, picked up a curado e7 and a crucial rod to go with it,
Old 06-09-09, 01:07 PM   #15
MississippiBoy

Since you're fishing frogs on 50 lb braid, you can tighten down the drag as far as you want to. The recommendation to keep the drag loose is for other lures, especially those with treble hooks. The lighter drag on those lures will help keep the hooks from tearing out of the fish's mouth.
Old 06-09-09, 03:38 PM   #16
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigslick258 View Post
by the way big bassin, i'am also from ohio, i made a trip out to the BPS in rossford last week, picked up a curado e7 and a crucial rod to go with it,
Where in ohio? I love that store. We're about 30 minutes away from it and about the same from Cabela's in Dundee, MI.

BB
Old 06-09-09, 08:10 PM   #17
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigslick258 View Post
texas holdem player lol,

but anyway, i went out this morning with 50lb power pro, on a mojo slop n frog, with my patriarch, i have to say i was amazed how far i could cast a frog, cast really smooth, rod is a little heavy, but i pulled a 5 lb hog out of the slop with no problem at all, only thing im worried about now is the braided line ruining my rod, i've heard a few storys that the mojo line of st croix dont go to well with braid, i guess we will find out lol,

Cool......
Old 06-10-09, 10:35 AM   #18
Bigslick258
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Where in ohio? I love that store. We're about 30 minutes away from it and about the same from Cabela's in Dundee, MI.

BB
I'am from lorain ohio, about 80 miles east of the bass pro shop, i had no idea there was a cabellas around either, but yeah the bps over there is pretty nice, it kinda sucks that its so far away from me but, oh well.
Old 06-10-09, 11:34 AM   #19
BigBassin144

the cabela's is probably 45 minutes away from the BPS via the express way. lol, before the bps in Toledo was built, we had to drive north of Detroit to the closest one.

BB
Old 06-17-09, 07:27 PM   #20
Bigslick258
BassFishin.Com Member

Is a citica 200e a good reel for crankbaits? i bought another st croix mojo, cranking stick, and i need a reel for it, just not sure on the gear ratio, im not gonna be fishin reel deep cranks, so i figured the gear ratio in the citica would be fine,
Old 06-17-09, 08:24 PM   #21
BigBassin144

for very deeps crank like the Rapala DT16's or DT20's, or Norman DD22's, you'll want a low speed reel. This is normally in the 4.9:1 through 5.4:1 gear ratio, but check out the retrieve speed, cause the gear ratio doesn't mean everything.

for example, the Daiwa Zillion cranking reel has a low gear ratio than the Abu Garcia winch, but the Zillion still reels in more line per handle turn. Granted, it's only about an inch, but still proves my point.

For very deep cranks, I'd have to say no on the citica. While it is a good reel at a great value, I personally think it's too fast for cranks. The new Curado 200E5 is a slower reel made for cranking.

BB
Old 06-17-09, 08:40 PM   #22
BassinID

Love the curado e5 for cranks, now if I can only find me a lefty one.....
Old 06-17-09, 10:15 PM   #23
BigBassin144

lol, If you do, let me know.

I'd love a Daiwa Zillion Cranker reel though.

BB
Old 06-18-09, 02:10 PM   #24
nofearengineer

Why you people insist on crankin with a baitcaster still eludes me.

A 7' medium-medium/heavy spinning rod is God's gift to crankin.
Old 06-18-09, 03:25 PM   #25
BassinID

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Why you people insist on crankin with a baitcaster still eludes me.

A 7' medium-medium/heavy spinning rod is God's gift to crankin.
Seriously? Do you crank with your rod tip in the air? I find that after a day of cranking with a spinning rod my wrist is mush because of the downward angle you have to hold your hand at to cradle the rod. This is alleviated by a baitcaster, not to mention the smoothness of the drag on a baitcaster is great for fishing treble hook baits.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.