Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-18-09, 03:55 PM   #26
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I prefer a baitcaster because I can cast more accurately with it, and like ID said, it's much more comfortable, for me anyways. I will throw really small or really light cranks on a spinning rod though. But for about 1/4oz and up, I use a baitcaster.

BB
Old 06-18-09, 04:11 PM   #27
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
Seriously? Do you crank with your rod tip in the air? I find that after a day of cranking with a spinning rod my wrist is mush because of the downward angle you have to hold your hand at to cradle the rod. This is alleviated by a baitcaster, not to mention the smoothness of the drag on a baitcaster is great for fishing treble hook baits.
This puzzles me. I hold my rod hand at the same angle for both types. I'd like to see a picture of you cranking a baitcaster to understand what you mean. When I hold a baitcaster, I bring my index finger up and over the rod, around the front of the reel, but it doesn't change my wrist angle. Besides, the center of mass issue with the baitcaster is what I find objectionable when cranking hard. Talk about turning your wrist to mush.

I'm not sure what the drag has to do with treble hooks as opposed to any other type of hook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I prefer a baitcaster because I can cast more accurately with it, and like ID said, it's much more comfortable, for me anyways.
Yeah, either way, whichever one you get used to you're going to be more accurate with.
Old 06-18-09, 04:16 PM   #28
BigBassin144

Drag plays a big role in crankbait fishing. I don't know about it too well, but ask Zook, he does. but nowdays, most good spinning reels have smooth and reliabe drags.

BB
Old 06-18-09, 04:37 PM   #29
nofearengineer

I'm not disputing the need for a good drag, BB, and yes new spinning reels have nice drags...I'm asking what the treble hooks have to do with it.

As a guy who hooked some mystery fish on a party boat off Dana Point, CA, and thereupon listened to my spinning drag sing for a good 60 seconds before the fish disappeared (he nearly spooled me ), I know the importance of a good drag.

Man, I'll always wish I had seen that fish, just to know what it was. Definitely not a little 2-3 lb sand bass!
Old 06-18-09, 08:53 PM   #30
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Well NFE, if a drag is jerky instead of smooth, on a trebel hook bait, when the drag pressure suddenly decreases after an increase, the fish has a good opportunity to throw the bait due to a lack of drag pressure. Agreed with bb when he says that new spinning reels have good drags. I hold my baitcaster with two fingers above the rod most times, while cranking I lay the rod on my forearm, but to do this with a spinning rod you would have to have about 15 to 25 more degrees of wrist angle (by my crude calculations). Not trying to dog on you for fishing cranks with a spinning setup, it is a good way to do it, just not my preference. Also many more rod options are offered with medium actions in 7' lengths in baitcast rods.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 09:57 PM   #31
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigslick258 View Post
How would i set my drag with 50lb power pro? im using the patriarch on my froggin rig, and like i said pulled in a 5 pound hog out of the junk no problem, but i was having problems with my drag all day, missing fish cause it was set to loose, losing fish while fighting them from the drag also being to loose,

i was light on my drag i go by what everybody says keep the drag light when using braid, im gonna try it a few more times out, and see if i can get used to it, if not im just gonna go with some 20lb suffix should be heavy enough for where i fish i like the power pro but i just don't want to strip my drag or snap my rod like i've been hearing alot lol.
I've got 40lb braid on my everything rod, when I use it for frogs or almost anything, I crank the down only because I fish some nasty slop, and I need a to set the drag good and tight to get them out of the slop! I have no problem with break offs.
Old 06-18-09, 10:31 PM   #32
BigBassin144

I have th drag locked down on most all of my rids, even the ones with braid. Although, I don't use 50lb braid, but I do use 30. And I'd think any reel's drag would give before a rod would break, except maybe a Revo with the 24lbs of drag.

BB
Old 06-19-09, 01:34 AM   #33
BassinID

BB, I have heard lots of good about the revo drag too, but on TT they said that it tests out in their lab to be about the same as the curado. Possibly they could have tested a particularly week one.
Old 06-19-09, 08:33 AM   #34
BigBassin144

I don't think the highspeed revo's have the 24lbs of drag, is that one they tested?

BB
Old 06-19-09, 08:48 PM   #35
BassinID

They tested either the stx or the sx, Im not positive, I will check it out when I have more time, I am just going from memory. All I know is that I am gunna get a lucky craft cranking stick as soon as I have 150 for the new discounted price. They scored it at a 8.6 or something ridiculous like that. Got ultimate enthusiast and best value.
Old 06-19-09, 09:13 PM   #36
BigBassin144

If I was gonna spend 150+ on a crankbait rod, I think I'd go with a Phenix X10. That rod looks amazing. The LC rod is pretty nice, and I'm surprised it didn't cost twice that much with LC's name on it.

BB
Old 06-20-09, 01:37 AM   #37
BassinID

BB, it used to cost twice as much, but they weren't selling enough. It has sicti guides and premium cork, a new blended fiberglass blank reminiscent of a evergreen rod, with more backbone, intricate JDM reminiscent details. I have no clue how they're offering them at a 150 bones!
Old 06-20-09, 01:38 AM   #38
BassinID

Good call on the x10 though BB, looks to be an awesome rod, although your cranker looks pretty darn sweet!
Old 06-20-09, 03:38 PM   #39
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
Seriously? Do you crank with your rod tip in the air? I find that after a day of cranking with a spinning rod my wrist is mush because of the downward angle you have to hold your hand at to cradle the rod. This is alleviated by a baitcaster, not to mention the smoothness of the drag on a baitcaster is great for fishing treble hook baits.
Amen man , i only throw a few cranks on spinning gear simply because they are to light for my baitcasters but I'm hoping to get a revo winch soon to fix that .

Jim
Old 06-21-09, 01:52 AM   #40
Bigslick258
BassFishin.Com Member

Well guys im all set up with my frog rig, crankin rig, have a st croix mojo bass crankbait rod with an abu garcia revo winch.

now i have my spinner bait/buzzbait/lipless crank rig,

i want a shimano crucial rod, im looking at CRCX610MH or should i go 7'?

what would you guys suggest for the best all around spinner bait buzz bait lipless crank rod, if any of you have a CRCX610MH for sale, please send me a message, or if you have anything you think would be the ticket for sale please send me a message, of rod model and price shipped to ohio, thanks for all the input guys,
Bigslick258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-09, 10:32 AM   #41
BigBassin144

Spinnerbaits - I like a 6'6" MH.

Buzzbaits - I use a 7' M

Lipless Cranks - I'll throw it on either of those rods.

For all three, I think you nailed it with the 6'10" MH.

BB
Old 06-22-09, 10:52 AM   #42
nofearengineer

Bassin, since I never really paid attention to it before (we rarely pay attention to the things we do naturally), I grabbed my fishing rods and analyzed my grips on each.

Like I said, after my cast with a baitcater, I pull my index finger up and around the front of the reel. It gives me more stability from the cranking torque.

After I cast a spinning reel, I bring my index finger up and place my fingertip on the side of the rod. I also keep the reel stem between my pinky and ring finger, rather than between ring and middle finger. I guess that is what lessens the wrist angle you are talking about. Either way, my wrist is at the same angle. Same index finger move, different effect for each type.

Either that, or I've just got huge, girlishly supple hands.
Old 06-22-09, 11:17 AM   #43
BigBassin144

lol, nofear.

I do the same thing with a baitcaster that you do. For a spinning reel, I also keep the reel between my ring finger and pinky, but most of the time, I leave the index finger curled around the rod, espcially on my Shiman Crucial w/ the exposed blank foregrip.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.