Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-07-10, 07:04 PM   #1
Dr G
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Jerks and Topwater sizes for smallies

Well it's finally time to start purchasing some lures so that's why I'm asking all these questions. So here's one about choosing sizes for some topwater and jerkbaits. I plan to be fishing for smallies in clear northern lakes, late summer. The advice I'm hearing is that for northern smallies, keep the lures small. I would like to get 1 or 2 Lucky Craft Pointers, Flashminnows, as well as maybe a Sammy. I can't afford to be buying 4 or 5 of each of these and frankly don't want to load down with a ton of hardbaits anyway. But if it's true that I want to keep my baits small should I be thinking about real small like 2" or more like, say a Pointer 100, which, while a popular choice, would be quite a bit larger at 4"? Again, I won't be able to take a ton of stuff with me to try out so I'm hoping by mining your collective experience I can get better idea of how to make some intelligent choices.
Dr G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 07:40 PM   #2
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Don't be afraid to throw a 4" bait at smallies. Some people put way too much stock into downsizing for smallmouths.
While it's generally a solid idea, baits don't hafta be majorly downsized.
I catch 11" rock bass on a 2 3/4" Jitterbug.
If a smallies hungry, he'll smash a 4" bait
Old 02-07-10, 08:40 PM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I do do nearly as well on Pointer 78s as I do on 100s and 112MRs. Same with X-Raps, the 10s seem to work the best. Depending on your lakes you might want to throw more X-Raps than Pointers since the pike love jerkbaits. Don't forget one or two deep divers like the X-Rap deep or Pointer DD. I even started using Husky Jerk 120 Deep Downs last fall to get WAY down there.

Same thing with topwaters. I really like Super PopRs, Super Spooks, Sammys, and Zell Pops.

"They" say to downsize when the bite is tough, but when I try that it doesn't seem to help. I normally have to switch techniques to catch some fish. If those reaction baits are not working make sure you have some tubes and some drop shot baits. I would venture to say that those 2 tactics are responsible for more smallies caught in Michigan than any others, especially on the clear northern lakes.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 09:02 PM   #4
lilmule

The lucky craft jerkbaits and the sammy are all in the correct area ,and should work fine.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 11:29 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I really wouldn't downsize at all for smallies. Stick with the pointer 100's. I've heard the LC staysees for great for smallie too.

For topwaters, I like Xcalibur Jimmy. It's like the Sammy, but cheaper. Walks the dog just as easily, and much better than any Zara Spook.

BB
Old 02-08-10, 06:42 PM   #6
TN_Bassin

Don't know anything about northern smallies but around here there is really no difference in the sizes of a bait I throw when I am fishing for either 1 or the other. Like with jerkbaits and such I try to match the size of the bait to the forage.
Old 02-08-10, 08:45 PM   #7
Marty

I agree. Smallies are very aggressive and aren't shy about hitting larger lures. I'm not recommending muskie baits, but downsizing to small stuff is not at all necessary.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-10, 12:37 AM   #8
Rebbasser

Believe it or not I often fish a lake just north of here that has a pretty good smallie population. Yes, that's right-smallmouth in south Texas. I've caught smallies not much longer than the lure I was using, so downsizing really isn't necessary IMO.
Old 02-09-10, 09:46 AM   #9
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Believe it or not I often fish a lake just north of here that has a pretty good smallie population. Yes, that's right-smallmouth in south Texas. I've caught smallies not much longer than the lure I was using, so downsizing really isn't necessary IMO.
Yeah, but that's not true everywhere. Those are born-n-bred Texas smallmouth, and they realize that everything is bigger in Texas...
Old 02-09-10, 01:24 PM   #10
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Bass in general, large and small mouth can eat stuff pretty close to their own size... I usually start off with some larger 34" lures and if they aren't biting, then I will downsize... usually 5-6 lures of various colors and sizes will cover the bases for us weekend warriors...

It has been some years since I've had a chance at smallies...
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-10, 02:30 PM   #11
lilmule

I think a lot of it size wise is what their forage base is ,the ohio river its shiners a slender 3 1/2 in -4 jerkbait works fine,prespawn most will hop on any size used.
Same if they are feeding on say fathead minows they tend to eat what is available,if shad based normally larger but not always as some feed on butterbean shad 1 1/2 in long,there the lil crankbaits work better.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-10, 04:04 PM   #12
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

My friend caught a 5 pound smallmouth on a bucktail while fishing for Musky. They can hit the big baits.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 05:59 PM   #13
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Agreed. Smaliies are the greediest fish I've encountered. They'll even try to steal the food from each others mouths. I love using med to large jerkbaits for smallies.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 07:21 PM   #14
tomegun
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I've heard the LC staysees for great for smallie too.

BB
Staysees dive deeper than 100's and are almost as long. Big smallies act like largemouths sometimes, so don't afraid of throwing in tight to wood. I've seen them eat 6" swimbaits too.
tomegun is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.