Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-23-04, 03:59 PM   #1
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default fishing for pickerel

what is the best lures or bait for fishing chain or redfin pickerel. i no any thing for bass but there has to be 1 particular lure or bait for them and do they have teeth?
thanks for the help

-brian
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 04:14 PM   #2
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default Re: fishing for pickerel

yes they have teeth, I dunno what lures are good though. You'll probly catch some while bass fishing.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 04:18 PM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i think i had a runin with one or a gar but i was fishing shalow lilly pads and sumthin hit and took off i started reelin in and it brook off and on the other end of the line was my hook and half of my worm looked like teeth marks in it.
Old 08-23-04, 04:37 PM   #4
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Unless you want to go to a steel leader, you just have to accept the fact that pickerel and gar are going to cut you off once in a while. Maybe a heavy mono leader would help, but it will also affect the action of the bait. I don't think it's worth it.

Sometimes you win. Sometimes the fish wins.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 05:06 PM   #5
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

pickerel are small though, You hook into a 5ft gar you're gonna get your line snapped regardless whether or not it cuts it with its teeth.
Old 08-23-04, 05:27 PM   #6
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

the biggest gar ive seen in the lake was around a foot in a half and ive caught a half foot gar. im not to worried about it because i only catch a gar or have sumthin cut my line every once in a while thanks

-brian
Old 08-23-04, 05:28 PM   #7
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

geez, those are tiny gar, I've seen gar like 6ft long.
Old 08-23-04, 05:50 PM   #8
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

im sure there are bigger in the lake this is just around my dock
Old 08-23-04, 07:59 PM   #9
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

HINT:

Don't lip a pickerel. I lipped the first one I ever caught. (Luckily for me, it was just a baby one.)
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 09:25 PM   #10
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Don't lip a bullhead catfish either, it will tear you up like no other. My friend did it to a 3pound bullhead and it tore half the skin off his thumb.
Old 08-23-04, 09:49 PM   #11
driftingsmokey
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to driftingsmokey

im half polish(i kno it doesnt realy matter)but i guess it takes more than one time for me to grasp something
when i was 8 i landed my first pike 39in ;D and i ended up grabbing it by the gills(didnt have a net with )and when i was 11 i landed my first salmon 24lbs it flopped outta the net and i had to grab it in the gills.
i guess what ever hurts ya just makes ya smarter
driftingsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 10:20 PM   #12
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

pike gills might as well be razor blades.
Old 08-24-04, 08:11 AM   #13
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9

Pickerel and the rest of the pike family will hit any lure ever made. These barracuda of fresh water do have very sharp and piercing teeth so a rule of thumb is, keep your thumb nowhere near it's mouth! Â*

As was posted, pike will take bass lures and a few that are definites almost any time of year, are plasitic worms, especially Senkos or other salty sticks. Jerkworm and Stiko's used on surface with no weight, will get them riled. Topwater spooks and Sammies make them v-wake from 10 yards away in 2'. If using a white spinner bait, use a trailer hook.

In summer, I prefer fat profile and large tail grubs.
This is one I made just before I went out:

The above grub caught the 3 lb. pickerel (pictured), a 2 lb bass and many crappie and a few yellow perch within a half hour.

Locating pickerel always depends on the type of water and time of year for your area. Shallow-early as a rule. Shallow-longer as a rule, as long as rainfall is high in spring. Deeper as a rule in summer, unless widespread wetlands offer at least 2' of water to sulk under floating weeds.

The fish pictured (and mentioned), were caught between 4pm and 6:30pm yesterday over a midlake hump (6') surrounded by 10'. By slow rolling large grubs in the areas the sidefinder showed preyfish schools near surface (even over deeper water to the side of the hump); bigger fish were milling around just beneath them during the magical hour.

Note: The recent tropical storm dumped 4" rain in a few days and raised the water level between 1-2'. No bites in the shallows - period! Open water bites over deeper drops was the key. Forage fish and Â*newborn fingerling presence, the other crucial key.

Note: the length of the grub was not as critical as the fat profile up front and working the bait slowly, a foot or two off bottom.

Note: If I know the pike bite is on, I use a 2' Â*braid leader of 30 lb.test (10 lb diameter). Stealth, Tuf and Fireline are fine and do not deter any bite when fish are active and in murky, summertime water.

This pic gave me the best and longest fight this year.
Big pike surge like a wild torpedo that keeps changing direction.

The same grub caught a very large brute 1 hour later, but I couldn't ID it except by the tsunami splash at the surface just as it got off. Â*Just another one of those things that make you go Ahhhh.

Sam
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 10:56 AM   #14
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Pickerel tend to get really active in the soon coming fall when the water drops back into the 60's, 50's, and 40's. In late October and early November last year, I caught a lot more pickerel than I did bass.
Old 08-24-04, 11:10 AM   #15
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

[quote author=HulaPopr link=board=news;num=1093287569;start=0#9 date=08/23/04 at 20:25:43]Don't lip a bullhead catfish either, it will tear you up like no other. Â*My friend did it to a 3pound bullhead and it tore half the skin off his thumb.[/quote]

Never been noodlin, huh. NOT for the weak of heart.

OUCH!!

Fortunatly I have never gotten ahold of a snapper or snake.Yet.

And by the way, whats a Pickerel?
Just kidding, i know, but i have never seen on here in the sunny south. I have seen some HUGE gar though.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 11:11 AM   #16
uk03
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to uk03

Good lures for pickerel include in-line spinners, spinner baits, any plastic with action, like a grub, swimming worm, etc, a buzz bait, even top waters, like a pop-r. Hot colors tend to work much better with pickerel. You want to catch chain pickerel, they are much larger than their redfin cousins. Use at least 6 lb test and you shouln't have to worry about them cutting you off. Have fun!
uk03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 06:48 PM   #17
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

die hard using to much hand in the gills of a salmon.

they are right a gar -about a 5 footer - once grabbed a lizard of mine on braided line and broke it. 50 pound super braid it looked like it went through a paper shredder twice..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 07:14 PM   #18
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

I have heard, but never tried it myself, (cause I never really wanted to CATCH a gar, but there are people who apparently for one reason or another do), that if you take a piece of rope, unravel it until it looks like a big jig or spinnerbait skirt. Then tie that to your line, and fish it so that it "breathes" gar will hit it, get their teeth tangled in it, and you can catch them that way.

Rather it works or not, I have no idea, but it sounds good.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 08:42 PM   #19
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=CajunBass link=board=news;num=1093287569;start=0#17 date=08/24/04 at 18:14:55]I have heard, but never tried it myself, (cause I never really wanted to CATCH a gar, but there are people who apparently for one reason or another do), that if you take a piece of rope, unravel it until it looks like a big jig or spinnerbait skirt. Then tie that to your line, and fish it so that it "breathes" gar will hit it, get their teeth tangled in it, and you can catch them that way.

Rather it works or not, I have no idea, but it sounds good.[/quote]

I read the same thing, and I have one ready to go. Why you ask, because they are pretty big, and no one likes them, and nobody I know has caught one. I will be the first, and they are getting bigger and more of them, the owners of the coal pit said get rid of them. Plus those suckers have cost me a few dollars because of tearing up my buzzbaits, and spinners > I'll let you know when I catch one, I think it's going to be a heck of a fight, and they do eat bass, and other fish. We don't get 9 footers though, but some are at least 36" I've seen.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 09:43 PM   #20
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

The longnose gar are the ones with the really narrow long snout, and those thing don't fight hard at all even if they're like 5ft long. Its them alligator gar you gotta worry about, they'll peel your drag like no other.
Old 08-24-04, 10:44 PM   #21
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

do u puta hook on the line then tie the rope on and how would u tie on the rope so that it wont come lose and what do u mean by breathing ??? thanks

Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*-brian
Old 08-24-04, 11:53 PM   #22
spidey04
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to spidey04

The first thing to remember is that Pickerel are VERY aggressive. I tend to have the most luck with a good sized Rapala (something like and f14) and/or a rubber worm rigged without any weight. The key is that Pickerel will hit out of reaction, at least Chain pickerel do. So if you miss the hit the first time, Send the lure right back and this time move it a little faster. I have done this up to 4 and five times before the fish finally got it in its mouth. It is purely Reaction and aggression. And I know some of you are getting tired of hearing me talk about them, but I have a ton of success with a moss boss for pickerel. Usually in the Green and yellow frog pattern. And fished in the shallows 1-5 ft this time of year in my area (upstate NY) this time of year. In the Lillies and weeds. My new combo this year is a fairly stiff 5.5 ft rod, but still in the ultralight class of rods, with 6lb fire line. It allows me to get the lure out farther, and holds them 9 (the fish)pretty well.
I LOVE to fish for pickerel. They are a hard fighting fish, and are explosive on top water.

Almost forgot, the other lure that I have had good success with is a flat fish, both jointed and non.
Did I forget anything.........OHHH< Color.... I seem to have my best luck with the green and yellow Moss Boss, and Rapala in Fire tiger, Flat fish, Red and white, or orange or chartruse. Rubber worm It really doesn't matter. LOL> I use a lot of tequila sunrise and have good luck, But I also have luck with Black, Red shad, Black Shad.
AT any rate, Good Luck, and have fun. And Keep your fingers out of the fish's mouth and gills.
;D
spidey04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 12:39 AM   #23
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Dude, you TRIED to catch a pickerel? ???

My dad and I have mini tourneys, 1v1.

Bass are one point.
Pickerel are one NEGATIVE point. ;D

Tiny bass are a negative point too.

We usually end up with negative points, 0 is a good score LOL.
Old 08-25-04, 08:01 PM   #24
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

Sam is correct, pickerel will hit any lure you can throw. My experience with them has been in NY's Finger Lakes, and they could be found anywhere between the dropoff and the bank, and any place where bass might be found, and vice versa.

If I had to pick one bait, it would be spinner bait, with soft jerkbaits second, but, as I said, they'll readily take anything.

Quote:
Use at least 6 lb test and you shouln't have to worry about them cutting you off.
I'm sorry, but this is just not true. They can cut 10# extremely easily, and probably heavier line as well. I recently had a small pike easily cut 14# Fireline and a pickerel could have done the same.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 08:30 PM   #25
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

Bassfisher, you want big fish you got to think big up here in Canada we use these for pike and pickerel. and yes use a steel leter.[img http://groups.msn.com/FishingFever/r...mp;PhotoID=389 img]

These are about 8 inches long and "KILL" big fish Â* ;D.

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.