Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-09-06, 10:12 PM   #1
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default how/what to fish, when?

ive been researching a bit... but i think this s all to confusing to get all in my head. can somebody compile a sort of chart or something for what to use and when? like, temperature, part of year, and stuff like that? like, spinnerbaits for postspawn, or what methods to use for what temperatures of water. i know it might be asking a bit much of you, but im sure it would be very useful to lots of us. could just make like 2 or 3 small charts, one based on what kind of methods, one based on kind of lure, or anything else

thanks a lot
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 10:47 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Take a look here, cranky. Your question covers a lot of water, and those articles will allow you to create your own chart.

http: //www.bassresource.com/fishing/seasonal.html

Not trying to put you off-there is just no "set in stone" formula.

Last edited by Rebbasser; 03-10-06 at 02:38 PM.
Rebbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 10:59 PM   #3
crankybait

ooh, thanks. ill make a list tomoro for exactly where i fish. as for now, g'night
Old 03-10-06, 12:03 AM   #4
WIbassfisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You're going to have to invest the time in unlocking knowledge of the bass just like you would figuring out geometry or algebra. Read seasonal articles on the website Rebasser gave you and apply what you find to your home bodies of water. In the process you'll find and develop techniques and tactics that work and that you have confidence in. Fishing is SO ADDICTING because your solving a puzzle. The gratification you get when it all comes together gives you such a great feeling. Being from New Jersey you can relate this to "going IKE".
Don't try to bite off more than you can chew. Start with a little bit of knowledge and go apply it on the lake or river. Come back and learn more or revise what you did. I'm sure everyone here will tell you. You have to spend time fishing above all else. The more knowledge you acquire through reading will be helpful, yes, but secondary.
WIbassfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 01:05 AM   #5
LoneStarAngler07

Send a message via AIM to LoneStarAngler07

nicely put...
Old 03-10-06, 12:58 PM   #6
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

cranky,
I could not imagine the size of the "chart" that it would take to cover all of the possible situations. Most of it comes with experience and experimantation. There is as much info out there to learn as there is in a text book. I am 34 and have been fishing ever since I can remember. I try to learn something new everytime I go to the water, read an article, or fish with someone else. This is not a sport that can be learned in a semester or from a book or chart. Fishing can be very rewarding one day and very humbling the next. I have learned alot from Reb's source and other web sites.

An idea that was mentioned to be several years ago was to pick out a couple of ways of fishing for the year. For example, plastic worms and crankbaits. Focus on learning those lures this year. I don't mean limit your fishing to only those lures, but really work, practice and read on those techniques. When you are comfortable with those move to two more. New techniques are being created all the time (for example, drop shot and shaky head rig) or are becoming more well known. My point is, there will always be something to learn. Have fun fishing. Sounds like you are very fired up about this season and that is what the sport must have to continue to grow!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 01:07 PM   #7
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

That would be an interesting chart to see. However, it would be impossible to do because of the size. Reb's source is a great one. Start there.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 02:13 PM   #8
bass kicker

take the time to find a pattern that works best for you and where you fish
Old 03-10-06, 02:44 PM   #9
Rodman_Rob

Buzzbaits anytime I wanna see a huge topwater explosion.

Weightless Flukes anytime I wanna catch fish.

Bunch of other lures/rigs for those times I feel like figuring out the fish and what they're doing.
Old 03-10-06, 04:36 PM   #10
crankybait

thing is its not time to start fishing yet. cant go out and find for myslef yet
Old 03-10-06, 05:01 PM   #11
zooker

cranky patterns are easy in ont. weeds, timber,channle drops.finding the fishin the weeds is the toughest part. odds are i would start at the weed line-where they begin- and move inshore. if you run a spinner bait along the weed line for 20 mintues at varying speed with out a bass loadin on move in. look for holes in the weeds. a t-rigged worm dropped in these holes will work. the depth that these holes are at is the "pattern". please note not all depth finders will punch through the grass giving fasle readings.if you are moving thru the weed bed -in search of holes- and roll out a top sitter fish-them sitting right on top of the weeds-buzz bait or spinner bait smoked thru this area will be the thing.to use let the fish tell you where they are the hard part is finding them then making them bite.

a decent question for once -$5 bucks says it took him a week to come up with it...

zooker
Old 03-10-06, 06:52 PM   #12
crankybait

id be willing to make that bet, since it came pretty quick to me when i saw someone post about like " i dont use rogues over 60 degrees of water" and so im thinking, wow i must have made tons of lure choice mistakes.

and i dont have a boat or depthfinder... cant see any weeds either. only way to know where there are weeds is to get snagged. and usually, its this thick, light blob of greenish weedy stuff
Old 03-10-06, 07:05 PM   #13
bass kicker

i like this new format
Old 03-10-06, 07:31 PM   #14
Rebbasser

Quote:
i must have made tons of lure choice mistakes.
That's how you learn, hoss. Not only what works, but what DOESN'T work in any given set of conditions. That allows you to eliminate non-productive baits and use the ones that should produce.
Old 03-10-06, 07:33 PM   #15
crankybait

thing is i dont know when its wrong and if it is, i blame it on lack of skill and the fish arent biting. but i read a prespawn article, i think i should be going with a powerworm in pumkinseed, texas rigged. thanks
Old 03-10-06, 07:40 PM   #16
bass kicker

like me personally i wouldnt have gotten to many jerk baits i find that the plastics work much better in ponds then cranks and other hard baits
Old 03-10-06, 07:53 PM   #17
Rebbasser

Cranky, a LOT of it is trial and error. You are at a good site for advice, though. I once read where a pink straight-tailed worm will work well fished as a floating worm. Never would have done it on my own, but caught a bass on the first cast with one, so I know it works. And don't be afraid to experiment. Bass don't read these boards, so don't know what they are "supposed" to be biting on .

Zooker is one of the most "out-of-the-box" fishermen I know-ugliest, too . He has come up with some really oddball combos that catch fish. My point? Conventional wisdom isn't always the way to go.

Look at the wacky worm. Near as I have been able to find out some non-fisherman decided to try bass fishing, got some staight-tailed worms and had no clue what a Texas rig was so hooked it in the middle, cast it in the water and caught a fish. Now a wacky rig is a standard way to fish a worm-caught that big smallie last Saturday on one as a matter of fact.

I guess what I'm saying is there are no hard and fast rules as to what works and what doesn't-you have to let the fish tell you what they want. There will be days when you load the boat, and days you will get skunked-that's why they call it fishing and not catching .

Besides, it wouldn't be near as much fun if you caught one on every cast day in and day out.
Old 03-10-06, 08:01 PM   #18
bass kicker

thanks reb that site was good
Old 03-10-06, 08:20 PM   #19
crankybait

so your saying i should just go random and see what works?
Old 03-10-06, 08:35 PM   #20
bass kicker

thats what i would try

first try your confidence bait and go from there
Old 03-10-06, 08:36 PM   #21
basstech

The experience also comes in handy sorting through factual information from the rest of the B.S. that's out there. Not that much of it is intentional, most is not, but there gets to be "repeated mantras" that misinform an angler and cloud the truth of the whole picture, not just the marketing and advertising stuff, but misrepresentations of bass behavior, and about the speacies it's self.
Old 03-10-06, 08:45 PM   #22
bass kicker

that is so true i read that bass wont hit on over cast day

and thats when we have some of our best bass fishing
Old 03-10-06, 09:05 PM   #23
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait
so your saying i should just go random and see what works?
Not neccessarily-you can fine tune your selection based of the conditions. For example, if the water is 40 degrees a topwater or fast moving buzzbait probably will most likely not get any hits-a bass isn't going to spend the energy to catch a fast moving bait in water that cold, so you can eliminate those baits and go with ones that will work better in cold water like a jig-n-pig, a suspending jerkbait, or a jigging spoon.
Old 03-10-06, 09:40 PM   #24
zooker

hey reb you all anit none to pruty yer self.

here is one straight from the mile out side the box man him self. wacky rig a ribbon tailed worm -zoom mag 2 - for example why ? because it works.. wacky rigging is nothing new. been around a long time i seen it in 1990's proir to the senko invasion.. yes it works.. nothing is wrote in stone with fish right now the pattern can be day to day during the summer the same pattern may work all summer -couple of months here anyways-.. the key thing to remember is water temp. bass feed and like water temps between 55-70 degrees at any time the water falls below this temp going slow is the thing. slow moving baits. above 70 they may not bite very well when water temps go above 70 any baits thrown after 11am should be slow moving.. bass feed early and late in hot water..

zooker
Old 03-10-06, 10:15 PM   #25
crankybait

so use fast lures in warm water and slow ones in cold. ok im getting this, thanks

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.