Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-03-06, 10:23 PM   #1
treehugger8
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to treehugger8
Default Frogs

Hey guys i fished tonight and had better success. I Used a frog and had the bass really jumping. The only problem was i missed quite a few of them. I did what some of u said to do by waiting to feel the bass then setting the hook. That worked a little but i still am not getting a really good one. Let me know if u know negood ways of hooking them. Thanks
Woody
treehugger8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-06, 10:59 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

What are you fishing it on? I don't use anything but a heavy action rod and 50 lb Powerpro braid. Since these are usually fished in the thick stuff the heavy action rod will give you a good hookset and the braid will help horse them out.

Even so, don't overlook what I think is often the most overlooked aspect of bass fishing-make sure your hook is sharp. We often figure the hooks are sharp right out of the package and that isn't always the case. I've learned that lesson the hard way a couple of times.
Old 06-03-06, 11:28 PM   #3
treehugger8
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to treehugger8

Im using 25 lb test fireline and a heavy action 7' ugly stick.
treehugger8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 12:08 PM   #4
zooker

i almost never wait on my frog bites. i fish them in some very tough weeds. i am using a 7'6'' x-heavy flipping stick. -waiting on the cfr company frog stick-minimum 30-using 40- pound braid. a lefty team diawa advantage reel.-not bassenforcers either-a high speed reel is really a must have on the frogs. you want to really work over an area slow and through. a lot of bites come in the first few inches. i actually had a fish catch the frog in mid air today. don't be to suprised as most of my fish tend to jump after hook set. my personal best frog fish was 6.8 caught yesterday-saturday-just clear of the weeds next to a tree. imo frog bites work the best when there is little or no wind hitting the water.in the last two days i have gone thru 6 PACKS of horny toads catching 45+ bass 7 over 5 pounds. loosing 10+ due to weeds or bad hook set. all of them came before most poeple get up in the morning.some times the hit is sutle like there sipping it off the surface-the bigger bass will do this- while the lil bass- 2 pounds and under-tend to drill it hard. color i find matters little i have used black,green pumkin,watermelon seed red flake,white,and junebug.. although i did catch a small -under 18"-striper on a white one.-go figure- i even traded a guy a chatter bait for two packs of horny toads-thanks who ever owns the 191 champion on badin this moring-.but hell who am i to talk about any type tackle??

zooker
Old 06-04-06, 01:49 PM   #5
flamez
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

zook whats ur favorite color to throw? just noticed they have um in watermelon candy at my local walmart but only one pack -.- i never really throw um with confidence anymore just after the hurricanes down here that toad just killed the kissimee grass was all blown down and flat u could just buzz um over and the bass would shoot straight up like a rocket (im sure u know what i mean ) fish are almost always 2 lbs or more
Old 06-04-06, 06:47 PM   #6
zooker

melon red i like the lighter colored legs. like i said the fish at the wee hours i was out were not overly fond of any one color they all worked.

now i use a 4/0 hook alot with the frogs i make a cut between the legs up to the bottom of the hook pocket. my buddy -shag-calls them steered toads.

zooker
Old 06-04-06, 06:54 PM   #7
JB

i've been catching so many on horney toads these last couple weeks, I'm not even sure a color matters, I get about 3 nice fish before the toad is shreaded so bad it won't stay on the hook. I'm using /50 offset gammys, but am going to switch to the 4/0...lately I've been getting them in open water near weedbeds or vegetation
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 05:54 AM   #8
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

All good points but gonna chime in and let ya'll know what I use. I am currently using a older shimano convergence rod in M/H for the frogs. Its 6'6" in length. It allows for a more precise cast and also allows me to skip the frog under low hanging tree branches. I do use a quantum pt 6.3 reel. NO COMMENTS I am liking the quantums again after many years of not liking the company. Anyways I am using strictly braid. It allows for a good hookset and better feel and at the same time where I fish it helps to get the fish out. I am using 65lb Power Pro. After it gets loosened up you couldnt ask for a better line. I can't skip the frog with anything longer than 6'6" and the shorter rods dont have the soft tip to work the frogs like I want to. The high speed reel allows for quick line pick up and also is very comfortable to use. SHARP SHARP and did I mention SHARP hooks are a must. With this setup I have dragged bass outta stuff you would think that a person couldnt get anything outta of and no fear of breaking off. In fact I have to change hooks after about a half day of using them if the bass are hitting well because I have actually opened up the hook gap and I WILL NOT bend a hook back because bending metal causes weak spots in the hooks. Just my .02 worth.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.