Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 03-18-09, 08:15 PM   #51
Stew
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
the lead in the river right there was within an acceptable range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBorger View Post
The problem will remain but isn't a real problem anyway since the levels are within the acceptable limits in the vast majority of areas.
YES!

Let's wait until the levels become UNacceptable!

And THEN and ONLY THEN let's do something about it.

Sure, the human and financial costs will be EXCEEDINGLY much higher by then.

But why should I care about that??

It does not immediately effect ME!!

"The long view" is just not my type of thing!

It's ALL ABOUT ME!
Attached Images

Last edited by Stew; 03-18-09 at 08:48 PM.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 11:04 PM   #52
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Stew, it said that shooting range had been active since the 60s.

Listen, you are being an alarmist. Seriously. Quit. The kids are alright. They arent dying from lead poisoning from sinkers.

Everytime the gov't takes action, you hear these drumbeats of "we gotta do this now" or "this requires bold and immediate action". "No! Don't stop to think! Vote on this bill now! Don't read it. Reading takes time!" or "I thought scientists settled the matter! Global warming will kill us all in 100 years if I dont save us!"

No, it doesn't. Somebody is trying to justify their lofty position. Somebody else is trying to make a name.

You are just being a pawn in their game.
Old 03-18-09, 11:11 PM   #53
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassintom View Post
So this is the kind of change we need?The guy is throwing money at AIG and their still giving execs bonus' with our money and there's nothing the gov't can do to stop them.And all he has to worry about is some sinkers.What a schmuck.
Very well put, 'ol buddy!

It is not so much the lead ban as it is the incompetence and ineptness of the government. I have no problem with banning lead, but being told what I can or can't do is getting ridiculous. Being PC, being green, etc. Enough already. And the idiots we call congress pass laws without thinking it through and then get mad when it doesn't work out the way they planned. What a bunch of numnuts.

Last edited by Rebbasser; 03-18-09 at 11:20 PM.
Rebbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 09:29 AM   #54
MarcBorger
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:

Listen, you are being an alarmist. Seriously. Quit. The kids are alright. They arent dying from lead poisoning from sinkers.

Everytime the gov't takes action, you hear these drumbeats of "we gotta do this now" or "this requires bold and immediate action". "No! Don't stop to think! Vote on this bill now! Don't read it. Reading takes time!" or "I thought scientists settled the matter! Global warming will kill us all in 100 years if I dont save us!"

No, it doesn't. Somebody is trying to justify their lofty position. Somebody else is trying to make a name.

Perfectly said.

Just to reiterate my position, there is no way that lead sinkers will ever cause lead poisoning from water contamination. The reason to fear lead in water is because of the distribution piping which is full of lead in most cases. Lead tackle will make no difference. This entire issue is political and is being drummed up to activate the activists (which is easy to do).

The REALLY sad part about this is that if the government wanted to improve the quality of our lakes and rivers they could actually start enforcing the regulations that have been imposed on the chicken farms to prevent contaminated runoff. They could implement a program to upgrade our water-treatment facilities, many of which are incredibly outdated and result in raw sewage being dumped straight into our rivers during a rainstorm. In the grand scheme of problems with our fishing areas, lead tackle is so miniscule that it is laughable for it to be mentioned by our politicians.
MarcBorger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 09:36 AM   #55
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Very well put, 'ol buddy!

It is not so much the lead ban as it is the incompetence and ineptness of the government. I have no problem with banning lead, but being told what I can or can't do is getting ridiculous. Being PC, being green, etc. Enough already. And the idiots we call congress pass laws without thinking it through and then get mad when it doesn't work out the way they planned. What a bunch of numnuts.

Couldn't agree more
Old 03-19-09, 10:09 AM   #56
dietz31684
BassFishin.Com Member

Sorry to be a smart a$$ on my first post....but....

BTW this forum is great, I have been lurking for a while and finally decided to register.
Attached Images

dietz31684 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.