Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 12-26-04, 07:25 PM   #1
MarkR
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to MarkR
Default Major Budget Crisis Coming!

Hey

Just tought I might mention it on the site. Me and the "missus" have been looking around for a house the last couple of months. Luckily we found a nice one about a month ago, have negotiated it a bit and have decided that it is time to take the plunge!!

So I figure this is going to seriously affect the fishing budget for the next couple of months (maybe years!! :'( )

Just wanted to ask something else, how much time do you guy's spend commuting to and from work?

Mine will be about an hour each way! Know it is a cazy amount of time but I really dont fancy living in the city.

At least I'm only 5min from the local fishing hole! ;D

MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-04, 07:28 PM   #2
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Re: Major Budget Crisis Coming!

sucks for you...I grew up in the city...well i'm not really grown up yet...I'm 14 but i lived in the dreaded city with mom untill i was 6
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-04, 07:32 PM   #3
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

At first you'll hate driving that far every day, but after a few months it won't seem as bad.

Good luck with the new house!

Â* Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-04, 07:36 PM   #4
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

LOU,
The house payment is the least of your worries, it will take the place of the rent you have been paying. The real expense is the new furniture because the "old stuff" just don't look right in the new house. Then there is always the "as long as the room is empty, we might as well replace the carpet". And don't forget "The windows in the new house are a different size, so we are going to need new drapes." And, "The walls do not go with the furniture, so we are going to have to paint/paper in the proper color scheme."
Then just about the time you get back on your feet, and out from under the "upgrade" payments, you will start to hear "this furniture is sure not wearing like it should, we are going to have to replace it soon."

Been there, done that!

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-04, 07:51 PM   #5
MarkR
BassFishin.Com Member

Jackl your sooooo right its scary!

already thinkin, just build a little wall there and do the bathroom, tile the kitchen, and so on...

Will make me a bass room in the house for all the bass pics, rods gear and stuff.....in about 50 years ;D ;D
Old 12-26-04, 08:04 PM   #6
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

lou i am driving 45 minutes as i too hate cities. but jackl is sooo right.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-04, 10:52 PM   #7
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

i moved from the city to the country. The drive shortens after awhile. And yes, the house will put a crunch on the budget, if the payments are higher than your rent. Check around though. We got into a house for 200.00 less than we were paying for rent.

Good luck

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-04, 11:17 PM   #8
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

LOU,

Forget the "Bass room", as soon as it is fisnished it becomes "The sewing room she always wanted" and your "Bass Room" is still out in the garage! (Just like my reloading room)

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-04, 01:28 AM   #9
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

I'll just echo what these guys are saying.

You better get ready for lots of home improvements. When Jackl says you are gonna have to do a lot of painting and getting the "proper color scheme" he is right. But I feel I should elaborate. The proper color scheme, if I have learned anything from my Momma, probably entails a combination of pink (excuse me, I think she calls it "chippendale rose tone&quot and baby blue. Yea thats fine for her closet that you never go in, but then she applies it to the master bedroom, the hall, the foyer, and the entire outside of the house - it can get to be a little much.

At least your are only 5 minutes from the local fishing hole.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-04, 09:41 AM   #10
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Don't forget about the Taxes, and Insurance increases you will also receive Owning a home is wonderful, and it sucks all at the same time. Now when the water heater goes out, it's your responsibility, plus the furnace/airconditioner etc... On the other side it's YOUR home, so that off sets a lot of the problems you have. As for the drive, well I drove at least an hour 1 way for over 7 years, and at first it isn't great, but after awhile it really is no big deal, just during bad traffic days, such as when they have accidents etc... You won't even notice the drive after awhile, it becomes automatic pilot time . Congrats on the house, and listen to what JackL said, get ready for the HONEY DO LIST!

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-04, 01:50 PM   #11
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Good for you, Lou-even with all the stuff mentioned it is YOURS, and it sure beats paying rent! On the down side there is always something that needs doing, but to me that is part of the fun.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-04, 01:59 PM   #12
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

it'll be yours....that's all that matters.good luck
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-04, 03:15 AM   #13
MarkR
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys, yep I did a lot of maths before buying into this house so I know about all the tax and insurance increases that will be hitting me, I also know there is a lot of stuff that I have forgotten about. Not to mention all the stuff we still need to buy lawnmower and fridge, and double bed and furniture and ....and...and...

...... no more BPS shopping sprees over the web :'(

The story about the bass room becoming a sewing room is going to give me nightmares!! :-X

I like the "honey do list" lol ;D
...it is already as long as my arm.

at least it is at least 10 months before we hit the spawn down here, should have a little time available by then, no luck for me fishing fall that will be coming up in about 2-3 months

Old 01-02-05, 02:36 AM   #14
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Im still waiting for my bass/hunting room. Keep having kids and losing them. I drive about 1 hr 10 minutes to my second job, After a while you get used to it. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-05, 10:27 AM   #15
faztbullet
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to faztbullet

I've lived in my current house for over a year now and still haven't caught up on the list of things to "improve". I was getting close and then the hurricanes changed things.
faztbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 07:29 PM   #16
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

my buddies fishing room is his garage. he carpeted the floor parks his bass boat in it. has a whopping 72" big screen 2 lay z boys. a heat pump,and a never empty beer fridge.

sounds like something you married guys dream about but he is married and almost never found in the house.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.