Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-13-05, 10:04 PM   #1
harlan07
BassFishin.Com Member

Default low pressure vs. high pressure

Hello. I am new to bass fishing (only been 3 times).

I'm originally from the coast of Mississippi, where I did alot of inshore saltwater fishing.

In the saltwater bayous that I fished, we used topwaters, suspending jerk baits and shrimp (artificial and live). We occasionally caught bass on live shrimp in the brackish water, but it was usually a fluke. We also would try to plan our trips around the approach of low pressure systems (cold fronts, tropical systems, etc.). The day before a storm hit seemed to be the ticket.

So, not knowing anything about true freshwater bass fishing, I waited until a low pressure system (tropical storm Arlene) began approaching the area. I used my saltwater topwater plugs and jerkbaits and caught 12 nice bass before the rain began. Since that technique seemed to work, I went again during tropical storm Cindy and the approach of hurricane Dennis, and did well.

So having said that, we are not getting a low pressure system this weekend. Infact, it is going to be very high. It will be windy and hot. What will the bass be doing? Will they be deep? What techniques are effective during the dog days of summer in the deep south? Will topwaters still be effective early in the a.m?

I know that all accomplished bass fishermen are good with plastics. I have attempted to reserach this topic, but I am overwhelmed. I need some first hand advice from some actual fisherman!
harlan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-05, 10:24 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

You will find there are a lot of similarities between inshore saltwater and bass fishing. A lot of the same lures will work, and the tactics are similar. Plastics can seem overwhelming, but it can be simplified to three basic rigs, a Texas rig or T-rig, A Carolina rig or C-rig, and a weightless rig.

Here is a Texas Rig:

http://www.bassfishingusa.com/Rigging/rigging1.html

This is used in and around cover like flooded trees, weed beds, etc. and is for a more vertical presentation-you cast it out, raise the rod tip to raise it off the bottom, and when you stop raising the rod tip it falls back to the bottom. Reel down to it and repeat. A hit will usually come on the fall.

A C-rig:

http://www.bassfishingusa.com/Rigging/rigging2.html

Is used for deeper water, to cover water, and is a horizontal presentation. This rig stays in contact with the bottom-the weight and glass bead hit together and make noise that attract the fish, and the bait floats along behind it. Hits on this can range from feeling "heavy" to having the bass try to tear the rod out of your hand.

The weedless rig is like the T-rig with no weight-usually fished with soft stickbaits like a Senko or Tiki Stick or a soft minnow type bait like a Zoom Super Fluke:

The other type weightless rig is called a Wacky rig:

The bait used is a Senko, a soft stickbait, and yes, this goofy looking rig catches fish.

Work the weightless rigs with slow twitches of the rod tip, and watch your line-often you will not feel a hit with these, your line will tighten up or start moving off in a different direction. When that happens, set the hook. Hope that helps!
Old 07-14-05, 09:30 AM   #3
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Hey Harlan could you give me a few inshore tips because I will be fishing on either/hopefully saturday or monday when I go to see the Shuttle Launch!
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-05, 09:45 PM   #4
Denny_ohio
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default topwater yes

Yes you can still use topwater in the a.m. .Yes try it it is still a good choose.
black buzzbait/chart.grub as a trailer..or somting bright.or Zara Spook
Denny

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.