Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-08, 11:31 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default pet peeves

here are some of mine, lets here some of everyone elses:

1. clueless people that back the boat down the ramp and then get the boat ready to launch.

2. when we launch our boat and i need to pick my partner up at the courtesy dock but it's blocked by some jackass who just holds his boat on the dock.

3. when a non-boater stiffs me for gas money (word travels fast guys and you don't want to be known as this guy).

4. when a non-boater complains all day about my spots, this is even worse when i am catching fish.

5. when a non-boater keeps casting ahead of the boat and cutting me off.

6. when a non-boater brings every freaking rod he owns and all the tackle he could possible cram in his truck.

7. when the weather is great all week long up until the day i am going to the lake and then it turns nasty.
Old 04-02-08, 12:39 AM   #2
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Mine are,

People casting a head of the boat.

Other boats cutting me off.

Other boats sneaking up and fish an eara right infront of me.

People littering.

People harvesting to many or wrong size of fish (any species)!!!!
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 12:43 AM   #3
Rebbasser

Lake Lice

Skiers

Wake boarders

Idiots on the ramp, both launching and trailering.
Old 04-02-08, 01:48 AM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Lake Lice

Skiers

Wake boarders
how could i have forgotten that?
Old 04-02-08, 08:15 AM   #5
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

1)I'll go with the weather thing - great all week lousy on the weekend.

2)Hip pocket fishermen - people who move closer and closer to me when I'm fishing (usually shore fishing)

3) Trash - people who leave their garbage behind should be shot on sight...

4)People - who keep everything they catch/ignore limits and size regulations
Old 04-02-08, 08:55 AM   #6
Whup
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
2. when we launch our boat and i need to pick my partner up at the courtesy dock but it's blocked by some jackass who just holds his boat on the dock.

When i finish for the day i pull up to the dock and let my son hold the boat while run up and back the trailer down.Is this what you're talkin about C-rig? Being a new boater I wanna make sure i following proper ettiquet.Should i be doing some thing different in this situation? My son is barely old enuff to drive and dosen't know how to drive a five speed.Otherwise i'd teach him how to drive the trailer down.I reckon i can teach him how to drive the boat.
Whup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 11:37 AM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whup View Post
When i finish for the day i pull up to the dock and let my son hold the boat while run up and back the trailer down.Is this what you're talkin about C-rig? Being a new boater I wanna make sure i following proper ettiquet.Should i be doing some thing different in this situation? My son is barely old enuff to drive and dosen't know how to drive a five speed.Otherwise i'd teach him how to drive the trailer down.I reckon i can teach him how to drive the boat.

no, i sometimes have to do this with my wife if the lake is rough and i am affraid she won't be able to get the boat on the trailer. i am talking about when guys pull up cross ways on the dock and let their wife and kids out to run up to the truck or go to the bathroom. instead of getting away from the dock and going back and picking them up later, they just stay crossways on the dock blocking it so nobody else can get up there.
Old 04-02-08, 11:47 AM   #8
JB

biggest beef up here is guys that dont prep the boat in the parking area or ramp staging area. Instead they back to the ramp , THEN take the tarp off, check for gas, fuses, cant get the motor to start, etc!
Seems like the bigger the luxury boater is, the worse it gets (non fishin types)
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 12:55 PM   #9
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whup View Post
Whup - If your boat is blocking the ramp or the ability for someone to drop their boat in the water then this may be a problem. You don't want to leave you boat in the way, coming or going, especially if the ramp is busy.
Best thing to do is to tie off on the other side of the dock and go and get your truck or park your truck. I've seen kids pulled into the water trying to hold on to the boat, especially in windy conditions (happened on the Potomac last summer - guy saw the kids go in and went and got them and the boat, the dad was getting the truck). Not the safest thing to do.
Old 04-02-08, 01:11 PM   #10
Bob Smith

Whup, whenever possible you should "beach" your boat in that situatiion and leave the "drop off" dock for folks to drop off people on (rest room, trucks or whatever). This dock is usally marked with some sort of sign indicating that is for just that sort of use. Best indicator is to see what everybody else is doing (the most, not the exceptions), if there are no signs.

I have to weigh in on the Jet skis, Wake Boarders and major yacht operators who have no idea how big thier wake is.
Non-boaters are a minor nuisance that can normally be coached (or coaxed if they are persistent). As a boater, I usually keep one or two of my lockers (including one of my rod lockers) available for them to use. My caution is that if it don't fit or it's too big to get around easily then it stays in the truck. There is nothing worse than scrambling to net a fish and stumbling all over somebody's gear.
Casting ahead of me when fishing down a bank can usually be rectified by me snagging thier line with my bait, reeling it in and cutting the line a couple of times, followed up with a smirk and a smile.
Old 04-02-08, 01:12 PM   #11
Lilmoosecountry

My problem is a 15 yr old kid talking allot game & spending allot of cash. Then he does'nt know what do with stuff he baught. Then this know it all. Who acts like he knows it all. Then begains to ask stupid questions. I can HELP in any way you need. But i don't think you know more than i.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 01:28 PM   #12
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Ahhh...the worst is when you just finish a tourney and everyone is waiting to load and you've got some moron with a party boat taking up half the parking lot trying to back down the ramp while 18 boats are lined up trying to get out...what the hell happened to common sense
Old 04-02-08, 05:07 PM   #13
bamabassman

well you guys have covered most of everything there is. i just wish that people would use a little thing called pateince. and please be polite. no sense in letting things get to you. just let it go and you'll be better for it. me.... i get angry at everything stated here at one time or another. but i have decided that it isn't really worth it to get mad and stay that way. the "other" guy may be new to boating. or just may be rude. i just smile and let it go. that , sometimes, makes them relize just what a jackass they really are. and jason, no offense intended, but the party boat has just as much right to the ramp as you my friend. just be calm and let it go. and yes i have a pontoon boat as well as a bass boat. one peeve of mine is when a tourny crew is all lined up at the ramp waiting to go, and i am trying to launch my bass boat too. they sometimes stay in the way at the ramp. it happened last weekend. i had to wait till they all went before i could even launch. and all i had to do was back into the water. so sometimes it goes both ways. we need to all calm down and look out for the other guys, help them if we can. ok,ok enough i know.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 06:12 PM   #14
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
My problem is a 15 yr old kid talking allot game & spending allot of cash. Then he does'nt know what do with stuff he baught. Then this know it all. Who acts like he knows it all. Then begains to ask stupid questions. I can HELP in any way you need. But i don't think you know more than i.
HMMM, I wonder who that can be?
Old 04-02-08, 06:32 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

"I hate stupid people! I think they should have to wear signs that sya, "I'm stupid!" That way, we wouldn't count on them for anything." Bill Engvall

BB
Old 04-02-08, 06:39 PM   #16
zooker

Quote:
that do sound like your describin some one we might could know...

could one of them possably be from mo??

zooker
Old 04-02-08, 06:40 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Here we go again............................................. ..............

BB
Old 04-02-08, 06:42 PM   #18
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
biggest beef up here is guys that dont prep the boat in the parking area or ramp staging area. Instead they back to the ramp , THEN take the tarp off, check for gas, fuses, cant get the motor to start, etc!
Seems like the bigger the luxury boater is, the worse it gets (non fishin types)
That's probably because the other fishermen have the same problem and don't want to be the people they don't like.

And IMO, the most commonly used oxymoron (besides Microsoft Works) is Common Sense. Which is not very common these days

BB
Old 04-02-08, 06:50 PM   #19
Wolfman7
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
1)I'll go with the weather thing - great all week lousy on the weekend.

2)Hip pocket fishermen - people who move closer and closer to me when I'm fishing (usually shore fishing)

3) Trash - people who leave their garbage behind should be shot on sight...

4)People - who keep everything they catch/ignore limits and size regulations

I have to agree with all four of them.
Old 04-02-08, 07:59 PM   #20
Captmikestarrett

Two words

NO TIP...

Capt Mike
Old 04-02-08, 10:20 PM   #21
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post

JB, have you notices the luxury boaters are the ones that only go out 3-4 times a year? That's why I DON'T go to the lake Memorial Day, the 4th of July, and Labor Day.
Old 04-03-08, 09:17 AM   #22
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by senko View Post
HMMM, I wonder who that can be?
My Nieghbors kid!!! Don't even go there...
Old 04-03-08, 02:42 PM   #23
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Quote:
My Nieghbors kid!!! Don't even go there...
Wheeeeew! Thought I was busted for a second!

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-08, 03:29 PM   #24
Lilmoosecountry

I am open to suggestions & ideas. But some little snot nose kid telling a seasoned vetern of 34yrs that i'm doing somthing all wrong really getz my crawl. I encourage youg'Ns to get into fishing. I'm cool with that. But i hate Big Mouths that can't cash checks on there knowledge.
Old 04-03-08, 03:54 PM   #25
BigBassin144

I have to agree moose. I've only been bass fishing for a year, but it happens in other things too, and it does make ya mad. I'm always open for constructive critisism, but when you're telling someone their doing something wrong, you don't have to be rude about it.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.