Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 12-05-04, 01:49 AM   #26
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Makitcnt4u
Default Re: can't find the big bass

What is a good heavy action rod and what reel should I get? Should I get one that can handle 50 LB. test or one that can have 12 pound mono? Since you said it has the same diameter as 12 lb. mono.
Makitcnt4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-04, 02:37 AM   #27
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Lonestar, I threw a jig-n-pig for a looong time-years, literally-before I ever caught a fish on one. Just had to keep throwing it because I knew it was a fish catcher. When I got the first one my confidence in this bait soared, and now I always have one tied on.

The easiest way to explain how I fish them is I pretty much fish them in the same places and same way I fish a Texas rig plastic worm. Cast it out, let it go to the bottom, raise the rod tip to lift it off the bottom, let it fall, reel down to it and repeat. I'd say 98-99% of the time a hit occurs on the fall. I've had a few try to tear the rod out of my hand when I ws reeling them in fast to cast again. When you hear someont talk about swimming a jig they are talking about reeling it in at a steady pace, and I was swimming that jig in a hurry ;D.

I know you said you there is a lot of wood where you fish. That is my favorite place to fish a jig. Say you come upon a flooded tree top. I try to cast it over the tree so the jig falls on the far side. I let it sink, and then use the lift and drop retrieve to work it through the branches. I'll pull the jig over a branch and let it fall down into the tree, and repeat this as I work the tree. This is also the reason I use braid for jig fishing. I can throw the jig anywhere without fear of breaking off like I would with mono. I've caught a number of nice bass doing this, as well as a 20 lb flathead catfish that surprised the heck out of me ;D

The nice thing about a jig is you can fish it anywhere-rocks, weeds, flooded timber, you name it. Like everything, though, you need to throw it to gain confidence in it.

As far as the jigs go, I prefer a bullet head rather than a round head-I feel like the bullet shape comes through cover better, but it really is personal preference.

Colors-I throw blue/black. pumpkin, and watermelon more than any other colors.

Trailers: like I said earlier, baby brush hogs, Zoom chunks, and Uncle Josh pork frogs. I try to match the color of the jig and the trailer. I really don't use actual pork very much-only in the coldest water. In warmer water I haven't seen a real difference between a Zoom chunk and pork, but the chunk is MUCH easier to use-you don't have to mess with bottles of brine the pork is stored in and getting a port frog off the hook can be a real pain. You don't need to limit what you use for a trailer either-I have used YUM crawbugs, Tiki craws and Zoom craws as well. I know some guys that use Senko-type baits and I have a buddy who likes to use a plastic lizard. Nothing wrong with experimenting.

There are a couple of things I do to modify a jig a little bit. The first thing I do is trim the weedguard. Here is what the weedguard normally looks like:

And here is what it looks like after I trim it:

I do that because I think it helps get a better hookset.

The other thing I do is add scent. I use Kick'n Bass garlic or crawfish scent. Does it work? Maybe, maybe not, but it can't hurt ;D

Hope this helps a little!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-04, 02:49 AM   #28
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm going to assume you are referring to a baitcast outfit. Â*Any decent MH or H action rod will work-I use an AllStar WR2, which is a heavy action 6-6 rod, but Diawa, Shimano. Bass Pro Shops-any name brand rod will work.

Reels-since all the line I use is the diameter of 12 lb mono-whether mono or braid-any name brand reel will do the job. Â*All of my baitcast reels are Bass Pro Shops Extreme reels. Â*they are sturdy, durable, smooth as silk, and have served me well. Â*Matter of fact I ordered another one last week-waited for them to go on sale for $49. Â*You don't need to get the top of the line if you do not want to, but get quality-you will not regret it.
Old 12-05-04, 02:57 AM   #29
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks. The lake is down to 57 degrees so should I use real pork or a zoom chunk with a scent on it. Which in your preference would you use? also if i'm fishing artificial this time of year would you use a tiny brushhog with a scent or a zoom chunk with a scent? If you were to fish the senko or the lizard as the trailer wouldn't it have to be really small or is a big, long one prefered? What would you recommend for a heavy action rod and also a reel for the rod. Thanks alot
Old 12-05-04, 03:35 AM   #30
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Lonestar, I'd use a Zoom chunk. I only go to pork in water 40-45 degrees or colder.

I use scent on any jig or soft plastic except for a Tiki Stick opr a YUM Dinger, which are Senko-type stickbaits that come scented.

This time of year in water like you are fishing-57 degrees-I'd go with a Zoom chunk trailer. I haven't used a Senko or lizard as a trailer-just using that as an example of what you can do, although the guy I was fishing with this morning was using a Zoom Magnum lizard which is 8 inches long. Like I said, don't be afraid to experiment.

Recommendation for a rod and reel-Best suggestion I can give is to hit a tackle shop or someplace that sells tackle and try some out and see how they feel to you. Like I said, a medium heavy or heavy action rod made by a company like Diawa or Berkley is a quality rod. Same with a reel-Shimano, Diawa, BPS-get one that feels right to you. If you have a WalMart near you and want to see what the BPS Extreme reel is like check out the Pinnacle Tara-near as I can tell both are made by the same outfit and the only difference is the color of the frame and the label, and the Tara has a flipping switch. The best suggestion I can make is to try a few models and see what feels right to you. I'm not a big fan of the Bass Pro shops rods because I don't really like the hump handle they have, but a BPS Extreme rod/reel combo is a real good economical setup. Hope this helps more than confuses you ;D.
Old 12-05-04, 04:18 AM   #31
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

I have one baitcasting reel but I always end up with a bird's nest half of the time. What setting should I have the brake on to slow it down? What gear ratio is the best for my application of a pig-n-jig? Is the trick just anticipating when the lure will hit the water so I can stop the spool in time?
Old 12-05-04, 09:31 AM   #32
FloridaBassAssassn
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FloridaBassAssassn
Default Catching Â*the big bass; part 1

lonestarboater, You and most other bass anglers do not catch the larger fish in the lake because catching large bass requires a different mindset then fishing for bass in the 1 to 4 pound range. Big bass say 5 pounds up simply do not act like a smaller fish does. They for the most part don't eat the same types of food or hang in the same waters. Big bass want the largest tastiest meal they can find for the least amount of effort. So they pretty much ignore your small plastics and such that you are so used to fishing. To catch truly monster bass you need to think out side the box. Fishing the same way everyone else is on the lake will catch the same small fish as everyone else on the lake catches. The first thing you need to do is not fallow the crowd. As a rule Monster bass want a monster bait. It is common if the lake you fish has trout in it for a big bass to eat nothing but large trout say 10" to 14". Big bass love big trout. If your lake has Crawdads the big fish may only eat a 4" dads, so learn your area and fish the type of bait that the truly big fish would want to eat. Most bass fisherman would not be caught dead using live bait, but most of your trophy bass hunters catch most of their fish on live bait or a big swimbait that looks for all the world like a Â*8", 10" maybe even 12" or so live trout.
I got many big bass this year fishing my 10" Sink-N-Fool Bait. It a soft plastic glide bait that has a huge shimmy wobble as it free falls. this looks like a fish that is in distress to a big bass. They think it's an Â*easy meal of enough size to last them a day or 2. I just cast it out and let the bait sink, it does all the action needed , just watch the line very closely for any sign of movement.
Â*Big fish in general will be in deeper water then small fish other then during the spawn. So look for a good ambush spot in about 5' to 10' of water deeper then the smaller fish are holding. Big fish also like to eat very very slow moving baits, which gets back to the easy meal train of thought. One of the best ways to catch monster bass is the stitch method. If your fishing say a 12" worm you cast it out , let it sit for a minute or so then you take your hand and take out about 3" of line slowly by rolling your hand , stop and wrap the line across your index finger and lift the other 3 fingers and roll your hand again taking up another 3" of line slowly. Work the bait this way for about 2 ft. then stop and reel up your slack. repeat till you think your out of the strike zone and cast out again and repeat. This is a great way to work any bait across the bottom if it's not real weedy. Work a crawdad imitation this way, a big jig, or even a big old live nitecrawler on a weedless #0 hook. Live bait for monster bass can be the most effective way to fish for them. To rig a crawler you get a spring wire type weedless hook in about a #1 or an #0 hook just the head of the worm on the hook by threading about an 1" of it on the hook and close the spring wire on the point. The worm MUST be straight and try to keep it alive. You can just let the worm crawl around on the bottom too.
end of part 1
FloridaBassAssassn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-04, 09:34 AM   #33
FloridaBassAssassn
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FloridaBassAssassn
Default Catching big bass, part 2

Use only the biggest, fatest, juicyest crawlers you can find, that helps keep the smaller fish from bothering your line. Fish this rig without any weight and cast it very carefully so you don't tear the worm off the hook. Monster bass love nitecrawlers for a couple reasons. First the move very slow so they are easy for the bass to catch, they don't have any sharp spines or bones so the are easy to swallow and they love them, it's a nice tasty meal . That all adds up to a great monster bass bait. Crawlers will catch big fish all year but seem to work the best in the spring. Another live bait that big bass love are Crawdads. If you have them in your lake they will catch monster fish. Hook a dad Â*through the spine on it's nose, they can still move around with no problems and will last all day without dieing. I use a Â*1/0 worm hook without the z bend for this.
Another great big fish bait is a super sized jerbait. I like to fish my 10" Sink-N-Fool baits along deep weedlines that you could not fish a bait on the bottom because of the weeds. I use a giant z bend wide gap worm hook, rig the bait so it is straight, this is always very important. I Texas rig these and fish them somewhat parallel with the weed line, just cast it out and let it do it's forward gliding wiggling fall at first, watch the line closely and keep the rod at about a 10 o'clock position. Keep in loose contact with the bait as it falls, taking up just enough slack to have a good bow in your line, not Â*to much or the bait will not sink naturally, but not so loose that you could not set the hook with a good tug. After the bait falls to the bottom a reel it up about 6' to 8' and let it fall again. I do this maybe 3 times. Â*If I dont get a strike then I just do a slow twitch back to the boat and let the bait glide in-between. If you do this properly the bait will dart and dance in all directions like a wounded fish. I twitch the bait sharply and let it glide forward 3 to 4 feet, reeling slowly to keep the slack out but not move the bait . Move the bait only with the rod tip about every 10 Â*to 15 seconds or so and allow it to die every so often to the bottom, reeling just enough to keep out the slack. Â*This method brought me most of my truly big bass this year. My 10" Super Sink-N-Fool in a Red Shad color is killer for this method.
Â*The main thing in fishing for Monster bass is use the right baits, by that I mean big ones. Â*Use good equipment that can handle not only the larger lures but a toad of a bass too.
Many of your largest fish ONLY feed at night. So you may need to fish at times your not used to. Â*You will need to get away from the heavily fished areas also and use all the stealth you can to fool them. Turn off your big motor a 1/4 mile from the spot you plan to fish and run up to it with the electric. If possible let the wind blow you into position that last 20 yrds to the right spot. All of these will help you get bigger fish but the main thing is spend all the time you can fishing just for the biggest fish in the lake, you will most likely catch a lot less fish, ah but the ones you do catch are going to be something to write home about. The more time you spend in the pursuit of big fish the more it will pay off.
So don't fish like the crowd do, don't fish where the crowds do and thinking out side the box of your {normal } bass fisherman is the key to catching trophy bass.
FloridaBassAssassn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-04, 10:15 AM   #34
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

dang fool
that there is a pretty good thread. bet your hands is tired.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-04, 04:01 PM   #35
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=lonestarboater link=board=MessBoards;num=1102119059;start=25#30 date=12/05/04 at 02:18:15]I have one baitcasting reel but I always end up with a bird's nest half of the time. Â*What setting should I have the brake on to slow it down? Â*What gear ratio is the best for my application of a pig-n-jig? Â*Is the trick just anticipating when the lure will hit the water so I can stop the spool in time?[/quote]

Not knowing what kind of reel it is, here is a great link that might answer your question:

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm

The gear ratio when fishing jigs is not that important IMO since you use the rod tp move the lure rather than the reel. For something like a buzzbait it is much more important.

Also, there is no need IMO to worry about engaging the spool as soon as the bait hits the water-a lot of times I don't engage the spool until the bait is on the bottom-no reason for that, just not that critical. Something like a buzzbait is a different story-when fishing one of those I want to engage the reel and start the retrieve the instant it hits the water because Iwant to keep it on the surface.
Old 12-05-04, 04:04 PM   #36
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks alot I will have to try that next weekend and I might be interested in your stick-n-fools 10" jerkbait.
Old 12-05-04, 04:24 PM   #37
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Rebbasser for the site. It had alot of valuble info that i didn't even know. I read that If your going to put braided line on a baitcaster that it can't grip the baitcaster spool so you have to put down some mono around the spool first. Is this true? I was at bass pro shops looking for rods and found the bionic blade rods with a straight handle instead of that hump in it. It was one of a few heavy action rods. What is your opinion of these rods? Also for the power pro braided line which color should I get? What color zoom chunk should I use most of the time?
Old 12-05-04, 05:15 PM   #38
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Lonestar, depends on the spool with braid. If it is a solid spool you have a couple of options. You can put a little mono backing on the spool-you don't need a lot-or just use a piece of tape. If it is a whiffle spool-one with holes in it-mine all have this-I just thread it in one hole and out another and tie it on. The reason is braid sometimes has a hard time "biting" on a spool, meaning the spool turns but the braid does not spool on, just allows the spool to spin underneath it. The mono or tape will eliminate this. Tape is probably the easiest. Since you are bass fishing you won't get "spooled" like you might with a saltwater fish so the tape will do the job nicely.

I have not used a Bionic Blade but have heard nothing but good about them. If it feels right it would be a good rod. About the hump handle-nothing wrong with them at all. I just prefer a straight handle. I just don't want to steer you away from them if you like them-they are excellent rods, it is just a matter of personal preference.

I use the moss colored PowerPro-less visible than the yellow.

The color of the chunk-I match them to the jig. For example, with a blue/black jig I use a black/blue flake chunk. Watermelon-a watermelon chunk. You get the picture.

Since you can get to a Bass Pro check out the Extreme reels-they are a great value for the $. But, like I said, use what feels right to you. I know at BPS you can put a particular reel on a particular rod and see what it feels like. That is the best method if you are not sure what you want. I'll be interested to see what you decide on.
Old 12-05-04, 11:12 PM   #39
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Does anybody have an extreme baitcast reels? Are you pleased with them? How long have you had them? I'm looking for a heavy action rod and a baitcasting reel for my Christmas present. Although I might be forced to use it before christmas. Any good combos with a heavy action rod?
Old 12-06-04, 02:08 AM   #40
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

The Extremes are all I use. I've been extremely pleased with their performance. Depending on the rod I have them paired with I can throw everything from a weightless finesse worm to a 1 1/2 oz. jig. They are durable, dependible, and smooth as silk. I would recommend them to anyone wanting a good baitcaster that is not going to cost an arm and a leg. I think an Extreme paired with a Bionic Blade rod would be an outstanding combo.
Old 12-06-04, 02:18 AM   #41
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks I will probably go buy one this week.
Old 12-06-04, 10:14 PM   #42
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

I am thinking that maybe if the bass are filling up on shad in the back of these creeks that I should get a jig with a silver or white skirt. What are the colors you use the most? What is the lightest color zoom chunk they make.
Old 12-06-04, 10:27 PM   #43
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

If that are doing that I'd throw a shallow running shad colored crankbait rather than a jig, although swimming a white jig-just casting it out and reeling it in-may work. Not sure what the smallest Zoom chunk is.
Old 12-06-04, 10:31 PM   #44
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks I was just wondering. Â*Are there anymore baits or tecniques for fishing back in the creeks? I have some YUM crawbugs. Should I rig these on a jig head with the back of the bug facing toward the weight on the jig head? I was just wondering because I have never caught anything on these. I know we have crawfish on the lake but can't catch the bass.
Old 12-06-04, 10:42 PM   #45
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Crawbugs are great baits. Â*You can use them as jig trailers or on a jighead, but I found these work even better than a jighead:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

The screw-in part holds the bait in place much better than a jighead.
Old 12-10-04, 11:11 PM   #46
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey guys. I finally picked up my new rod and reel from bass pro shops last night. I also got some lures you suggested. I got a Smithwick Rogue, Mann's minus one, a smokey Joe rat-L-trap, a bandit 100 series, a popper, four jigs, a whole bunch of jig trailers, and a little george.

ROD: A Bass Pro Shops Pro Series Tournament Stick 7' Medium Heavy action. A straight cork handle with a Grip Tite reel seat. It was on sale for $39.99

REEL: A bass Pro Shops Pro series 10 ball bearing baitcasting reel. I had a guy put my 50lb. powerpro line on. They had it on sale for $49.99

I can't wait to use them tommorrow
Old 12-11-04, 12:45 AM   #47
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Sounds like you made some good choices. Â*Good luck and go get 'em tomorrow!

Just as a FYI, braid is a lot noisier than mono when it comes through the guides, so don't be concerned if you can hear it.
Old 12-11-04, 02:17 AM   #48
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

Will that noise transmit back through the line and scare the fish? Should I work it slower so I don't scare them? I'm already going slower for winter anyway.

Also when I lift the rod tip how many inches should I usually lift it?

My trailers that the guy at BPS recommended are pumpkin colored and look exactly like crawfish but they are flat. He is familiar with the lakes around here and said that I did not need real pork trailers.

I got a blue/black jig, rootbeer jig, a watermelon, and a pumpkin jig. They all have glitter in their skirts to imitate a scale pattern. They look awesome.
Old 12-11-04, 02:31 AM   #49
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

No, it will not scare the fish-it really is not loud, just that you can hear it more than mono.

I usually keep my rod tip pointed at about 10:00 and raise it to 12 and let the jig settle then reel down to 10 and repeat. No iedea on how many inches that is.

Let us know how you do!
Old 12-11-04, 02:41 AM   #50
Makitcnt4u
BassFishin.Com Member

I'll let you know how it goes.
Also on your pictures of your jigs. What is the advantage of the trimmed weedguard? Does it get caught in cover more?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.