Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-08, 10:55 AM   #26
Bmuskin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

This is the rod I use the most. I got it on sale at Dicks for 39.99 normally around 49-59.00. It has a medium fast action with a real good backbone and the cork handles. I have pulled some 4-6 pounders out of the weeds with it and no complaints. I can feel the bottom real well. It does feel a little overloaded with a heavy jig, but seems awesome for plastics and spinnerbaits,
I have a Daiwa Megaforce on it so I have right around a 100.00 in the whole setup.

Shimano's Convergence casting rods bring together some of the finest construction techniques in the industry. The high-modulus, IM-6 graphite construction gives you incredible feel and sensitivity with every retrieve. The cork handle makes it comfortable for all-day fishing, and every rod has sturdy Fuji® aluminum oxide guides and graphite reel seats. And every rod has a convenient hook keeper. Lifetime Warranty.
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 04:51 PM   #27
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I broke the tip of my favorite rod, Kistler, and put a new tip on it. Still works as good as new.
Old 08-05-08, 04:59 PM   #28
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
I broke the tip of my favorite rod, Kistler, and put a new tip on it. Still works as good as new.
How would I go about putting a new tip on the broken rod? The tip down to just above the 3rd guide broke off. I am still saving up for a nice plastic rod/reel but the broken rod is not completely useless, is it? I can post a picture of the end of the rod when I get home tonight to show you guys where it broke. I have not messed with it since it broke.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 05:34 PM   #29
bassinbob

FNG, that's down pretty far. When mine broke just a tad of an inch or so broke. My rod was a seven footer. In your case I think maybe too much broke off. Maybe someone else can state if they replaced a tip with that much broken off. I would think that would effect your rods action.
Old 08-05-08, 05:37 PM   #30
Fishnngolfn

I thought it was a bit far down but I didn't know for sure.
Old 08-05-08, 05:41 PM   #31
Fishnngolfn

Anyone have any recommendations for a strictly weightless plastic baitcaster setup? The reason I ask is that someone said here that if you get used to a baitcaster you won't go back to a spinning reel except for certain situations and that a baitcaster should be able to handle almost all of your fishing needs.
Old 08-05-08, 06:31 PM   #32
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

for some reason i thought ol jb would show a "sensitive" rod, lmao. still waiting jb,lol.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 06:56 PM   #33
Fishbear

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbear

FnG

Look at Powell Rods. I fished with a buddies last week. Very light, very sensitive, and only 139.00. They just dropped their prices.
Old 08-05-08, 08:42 PM   #34
JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
for some reason i thought ol jb would show a "sensitive" rod, lmao. still waiting jb,lol.
sensitive nuff fer ya bama? rofl

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 08:53 PM   #35
bamabassman

hahahahaha, you never seem to disappiont me jub. i figured you'd have a cartoon of a rod being sensitive though, lmao.
Old 08-05-08, 09:23 PM   #36
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

this rod comes endorsed by bill dance himself

http://fishnclips.blogspot.com/2008/...itive-rod.html
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 11:00 PM   #37
bamabassman

good ol bill. you can always rely on him for a laugh.
Old 08-06-08, 02:55 AM   #38
Lancer6

FnG,

As you requested via PM...

Like most threads yours has attracted a lot of posts that wander far afield from your original premise...Weightless softies.
I'm not taken in by the concept that every rod in one's arsenal need be a "technique specific" stick...far from it. However, given the application you clearly stated in your original post, I will aver that this is indeed a case for "Technique-dictated Specificity" (Ooooooo...I LIKE that!) So, it's not a matter of luvin' one's Loomis (you'll go blind if you do that a lot.), fondling a Fenwidk, or cherishing one's Cherrywood.
This is a case where the design of the rod is critical to application.
Now, it's not so much so if you're heaving a Senko, Tiki, etc., off into the ozone and soaking it, but to impart the seductive dance moves that might tempt a bass to leave his wife and 70,000 kids to elope with your weightless worm, well, now you've gotta make the right choice.
That brings us back to the two rods I recommended a few tangents and digressions back in this thread.
Your PM, which you invited me to address in open forum, states that you may opt for a casting set-up rather than the aforementioned spin rig. If that is so we have no problem.
The L'rider 5-167 is readily available in a casting version. Your request for reel recommendations has already been addressed in my second post.
Y'see, F'nGee, the guy you spoke to at Acaddamommy was right re the price. I have NO idea what reel he had in mind, though.
Soooo...Bebop yo booty back to my second post and read my tirade re "Weight is your enemy!" and note the two casting reels your Kindly Uncle Lancer mentioned ('Narch50MG 'n 'Rado 100D, 250.00 and 200.00 respectively, plus Tax, Title, and License.) PLEASE note that I said ONE HUNDRED DEEEEEE...NOT 200D, not Citica, not Cruxis, not any danged thing other than those two reels. (Now starts the string of "I shore dew luv my Ambushadeer 5000 and I betcha I kin outcast ennywun wif one of dem fancy Jap reels!" posts OR..."I use nothing but [insert brand and model here] and you should try one.") My insistence on those reels is based on lots of empirical evidence, not guesswork and brand loyalty (I use a lot of brands!...Maker's Mark, Tanqueray, etc.)
Now, and this is an important factor, it's not just the light weight of the 'Narch50MG or the acceptably low weight of the 'Rado 100D(eeee), it's also the overall size when compared to many other reels. These two adorable and compact puppies nestle nicely in one's hand. They "match" the rather delicate and refined feel of a 5-167 or the Avid (Mmmmmmm...AVIDS!);More that of a rapier as opposed to a broadsword...get it?
So set up, you will also find that you can skip weightless plastics 'neath docks 'n into other crannies with ease. But, if you really want to become a skipper (Look out, Navy!) you may best be served by the spin rig...trust me on that...and everything else, 'K? If you DO make the switch to casting be certain to use the same braid test and leaders I earlier mentioned. Backlashes are a breeze, comparatively, to clear when using braid and you won't kink the line and thus risk loss of bass and lure.
Will that be all? Glad to help!

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 09:40 AM   #39
Fishnngolfn

Thank you once again. I do like to skip a lot of my baits into tight spots (i.e. under low overhanging trees, docks, low bridges, etc.). I may just stick with the spinning setup for now but I have taken note for a baitcaster setup.

My Christmas list is getting long and expensive - trolling motor, battery, and battery charger, new spinning rod and reel for weightless plastics, fish finder, dry storage/livewell for boat, baits, line, hooks.
Old 08-06-08, 09:51 AM   #40
Fishnngolfn

Cabela's has the Curado 100D on sale for $170 but they are sold out. But the left handed setup is not sold out. Anyone want to give me some money for an early Christmas present. I will dedicate the first 20 fish I catch to you.
Old 08-06-08, 05:03 PM   #41
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
Cabela's has the Curado 100D on sale for $170 but they are sold out. But the left handed setup is not sold out. Anyone want to give me some money for an early Christmas present. I will dedicate the first 20 fish I catch to you.
EffEnGee,

Not a good idea to buy the lefty unless you ARE a lefty. Saving 30 bux to buy a reel that may prove awkward in use is NO savings at all.
Lancer's Law #297 states: Settling for less than what you want and need only puts you further from possession of the right toy.
I am a southpaw in most instances...Writing, eating with dining utensils, etc. I throw a football RIGHT-handed, though, but kick one left-footed.
I shoot shotgun, whether it be my Remington autos, Browning BPS pump, or my lovely little Beretta O/U, from the left. I shoot my Browning BAR .270 from the south as well. Ditto for my old Army .45 auto pistol. Never have been comfy any other way.
Now, that established, here's the good news: I use a standard RH retrieve baitcaster but cast left, crank right..."Look Ma! Don't have to change hands!" For spinning, I cast RIGHT and crank left...Again, "Look Ma! Don't have to...." I cast left with a fly rod and strip/wind right. Talk about being amphibious...I mean ambiguous...errrr...AMBIDEXTROUS!
I have sometimes been tempted to obtain a LH retrieve reel and achieve some skill at (bait)casting R and retrieving L. Happily, before I did so I did a little test. I transferred my spin reel handles to the RH configuration and tried casting L and cranking R. Awkward to say the least, despite the fact that I ought to be comfortable with that since I cast L and crank R with baitcasters. Still, Baitcasting L/R and spinning R/L has one great advantage; If my BC side is getting stiff, sore, or is somehow injured, I switch to spinning and let the other side take the punishment for a while.
Frankly, I've never quite understood why the "cast and change hands" tradition exists in the first place.

I do wish, though, that the manufacturers of daily-use stuff of the world would wake up and make stuff we LEFTIES could use...Lefthanded screwdrivers, hammers, ice picks, combs, jumper cables, toofbrushes, toofpix, toilet paper, condoms,and the like. It just isn't fair!

FnG, you are learning rapidly. The rigs you own and aspire to own are well-suited to your stated purposes and will serve you well.

LancerVI
Old 08-06-08, 05:10 PM   #42
zooker

the scarey part is lancer has a colt 45. like lancer i was born lefty i had to learn how to do it right handed..

zooker
Old 08-06-08, 05:13 PM   #43
Fishnngolfn

Thanks. I always thought of myself as a quick learner. Truth be told though, I cast right handed and crank the reel with my left hand with both the baitcaster and the spinning reels, so there is no "cast and change hand" routine, which I never understood why people do that. I have always fished that way even though I do everything else right handed. I never considered the way I fish left-handed since the strength part of fishing is done with my RIGHT hand. Cast with the right hand, set the hook with the right hand, pull back on the rod with the right hand. See? All I do with my left hand is turn a handle and that doesn't take much strength. More coordination in my opinion.
Old 08-06-08, 05:24 PM   #44
Bmuskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer6 View Post
EffEnGee,

tradition exists in the first place.

I do wish, though, that the manufacturers of daily-use stuff of the world would wake up and make stuff we LEFTIES could use...Lefthanded screwdrivers, hammers, ice picks, combs, jumper cables, toofbrushes, toofpix, toilet paper, condoms,and the like. It just isn't fair!

LancerVI
Maybe Ned Flanders will open a leftorium store near you soon!
I almost made the same mistake when I bought my first baitcaster this year. Thought because I was cranking a spinning rod with my left hand I should do the same with a baitcaster. It feels just wrong though to crank with the left on this when you are a rightie though.
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 05:33 PM   #45
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
the scarey part is lancer has a colt 45. like lancer i was born lefty i had to learn how to do it right handed..

zooker
And I have some dandy 210 gr. hollow points for it.
The M1911A1 was the standard issue sidearm during my happiest days. All tank crewmen carried them, not just us officers.
I qualified "Expert" on all common issue *weapons but doing so with the .45 was special. Seems when I stepped up to the line as a green 2Lt of Cavalry, one of my buddies told all that I had earned a degree in Music along with my four years of ROTC. The crowd got a hoot out of that UNTIL I fired the highest score of the day...LEFTY style.
I also did a little impromptu deer hunting one day while at Fort "X"...one shot=three dead deer. Well, with the M79 Grenade Launcher, it was a snap! I hope the statute of limitations has run out on that
Good eats, though.

Lancer6

Here's a modest list of the bars that dangled from my Expert Badge:
*M1 Rifle (in college)
M14 Rifle
M16 Rifle
M1911A1 Pistol, Cal .45 ACP
M79 Grenade Launcher (I also pirated one to carry in my turret in 'Nam...came in handy at times.)
M60 Machine Gun
M2 Heavy MG, Cal .50
M3 Submachine Gun Cal .45, the "Grease Gun"
Tank Weapons
A couple of others I can't recall.
In combat, I made certain that I had an M16 on board my iron horse for all 4 of us (one each) and I had an M3 I'd scrounged up as well. I also made sure the "Fruit Basket" was full...a locally made cane basket full of grenades, to include some in various smoke colors for marking targets for the Army Cobras and the USAF and USN pilots.
I was probably the best-armed tank company CO in the country, and the ONLY one with a degree in Music.
Old 08-06-08, 07:41 PM   #46
bamabassman

well doggie, ol zooker is a lefty? me too. man i knew there wuz sumthin i liked bout dat ol dawg. my dad is lefty, nephew is lefty too. we are the only ones in the right frame of mind. now lets see if the right handed folks know what i mean by that.
Old 08-06-08, 08:04 PM   #47
Fishbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
well doggie, ol zooker is a lefty? me too. man i knew there wuz sumthin i liked bout dat ol dawg. my dad is lefty, nephew is lefty too. we are the only ones in the right frame of mind. now lets see if the right handed folks know what i mean by that.
Because Lefties are right brain dominant, while Righties are left brain dominant.... Darn, I knew those biology classes would come in handy some day,,,20 yrs. later, lmao.
Old 08-06-08, 08:32 PM   #48
bamabassman

WE HAVE A WINNER!!! very good fishbear ....you get a cookie (from the movie "kelly's heros", don rickles). hahaha, i also see that lancer is a lefty as well, another fellow i like is right ...err left i mean on track. hahahahahaha, lefties rule!!!!
Old 08-06-08, 09:22 PM   #49
Fishbear

I am a righty, but always have loved left handed reels. All my reels are lefties, if I have anything to say about it. I believe it is because I want the rod, in my strongest hand/arm for fighting fish. Plus, it seemed natural. You have to know that I learned to fish in the Pacific Northwest, fighting salmon, steelhead and Sturgeon, so it was a fight.
Old 08-06-08, 10:21 PM   #50
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbear View Post
I believe it is because I want the rod, in my strongest hand/arm for fighting fish. Plus, it seemed natural.
Exactly. That is why I have always thought I fished right-handed but apparently I am a southpaw as well when it comes to fishing.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.