Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-08-05, 08:59 PM   #1
plug
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to plug
Default Cat tail problem

Does anyone konw of any way to get rid of cat tails. My grandads pond has them about 3/4 of the way around it and its a big pond. The fishing space is limited. I don't know any other way than to get a weed eater down there...........if that would even work.
plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-05, 09:04 PM   #2
coolman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to coolman
Default Re: Cat tail problem

no the weed eater wont do it you gotta get out there and hand pull them roots and all! But wear gloves I know im not a glove dude cuz Ive got huge callases but they will rip you open in a hurry!
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-05, 09:08 PM   #3
plug
BassFishin.Com Member

There's no way i'm gonna do that lol. They're growing from the bank about ten feet or more out into the water. And this is probly about a 2 acre pond. There's gotta be an easier way.
Old 07-08-05, 09:33 PM   #4
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

PARK,
Go talk to your county weed control agent. He can advise you what kind of herbicide will kill the cattails. Be sure to tell him that it is around a pond that has fish in it or he may advise you to use something that will kill the fish.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-05, 09:58 PM   #5
plug
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for your help guys. Jack, where is Great Bend? I'm in northern Oklahoma. Ponca City to be specific.
Old 07-08-05, 10:25 PM   #6
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

I'd check to see how deep the water is around the cat tails...I have a one acre pond and the cat tales is where most of the bass live...they start in the damp edges of the pond and go out to about 2 feet of water..If you have that same scenario then take a john boat and throw a worm or jig into any crevice you can find, and you'll be amazed at what lives there..
If you are looking for ways to fish the pond from the bank but still want the cat tail, we go around and just bend them down to break or better yet take a machete and whack them down, thats better than using a toxin.
Plus the cat tails bring warmth to the water and fish in the early spring, and also provide oxygen...I'd think twice about getting rid of them,,
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-05, 12:07 AM   #7
plug
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah, i'm getting second thoughts on taking them out. The pond isn't very good fishing anyway. Well it's actually the best fishing in the world but hte fish are all about 8 inches long lol. I need to catch a bunch of them and get rid of them somehow. I bet there's 5000 bass in this pond.
Old 07-09-05, 10:55 PM   #8
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

i wouldnt worry about them. they good place for bass to hide and strick there food as it swims by.
Old 07-11-05, 12:16 AM   #9
MAHAT
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to MAHAT

leave em there, the bass will hide in them...if you really wanna take em out, get some gloves and dig in.
MAHAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.