Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-08-05, 05:37 PM   #1
NotEnoughWeekends
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to NotEnoughWeekends
Default Help with large lake

Hey all,

I'm a long time recreational fisherman but recently decided to up my game a bit. I started reading the posts here and have found many to be very useful. I seem to do okay in smaller lakes but feel a bit lost in the larger lakes. I don't have a boat, so usually I fish from the shore unless a canoe or flat bottom is available to rent.

There is a section of a 14,000 acre lake that I am interested in fishing. The shore line is quite accessible. I chose the area after looking at a map of the lake on mapquest.com. If you're interested, look at the area just south of Farrington (particularly the long point, bridge, and landlocked areas.) You'll have to zoom in a little.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...c&zipcode=

For the most part, there appears to be little cover but decent structure. The shoreline has minimal vegetation and is fairly barren due to erosion. It is mostly dirt, clay, and a few rocks. I am not sure about water depths, but I’m guessing there are gradual and steep drop offs. Visibility is currently at no more than two feet at the surface. A severe storm passed through last night. Daytime temps are 90’s and nighttime temps are 70’s. I plan to fish mornings mostly. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
NotEnoughWeekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-05, 06:36 PM   #2
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: Help with large lake

this is the farrinton road area of b.everett jordan lake-commonly know as jordan lake. just out past the island there is a sumerged road bed runns that entire side -west side- off the point on the west side i am showing a artifical reef- which normally are brush piles.
on the east side new hope river channel buts up against the road . i am showing 16 feet at full pond.that is half way between the bridge and the access road. with a 6 foot flat every where else on that side except at the bridge it self. way up on the farrington end there looks to be a cove near the road it has a sumerged road bed running through it on both sides. dam i love my gps mapping system.

best bet would be use a top water in the channel area where it buttup against the rip rap. fish it early before daylight then switch to a #5 shad rap or a texas rigged finesse worm. don't leave out a carolina rig. my guess would be that this channel hitting against the rip rap is pretty well known so look for a large area with heavy useage.

oh yeah umm welcome to the sunny south yankee...lol

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-05, 08:57 PM   #3
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

NC,
Anytime you can find on the net or buy a TOPO map of a lake, its well worth your while to study it and carry it.
You can disect any lake by studying the creekchannels and the points of land associated with it.
Zooker gave excellant advise on baits and locations, but if you had no one to rely on, the topo map is the solution...you not only have to read the map, but put two and two together,
the creek channels provide a natural migration path for all fish to get to the points, and then spread out to the shallows..its like us knowing which interstate to take to the mall etc
You'll do better and find fishing is more productive than just picking a spot because it looks good
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-05, 12:30 AM   #4
NotEnoughWeekends
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to NotEnoughWeekends

Thanks all. I didn't think about looking for a topo map until I read Zooker's detailed reponse. I'll have to find out where to get one.
NotEnoughWeekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-05, 12:09 AM   #5
MAHAT
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to MAHAT

theres a couple of sites online that sell topographic maps of certain lakes, search on google, youll find something.
MAHAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.