Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-06-09, 11:27 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Wal Mart Fishing Stuff...

Last fall I am sure someone on here was saying the sky is falling , the sky is falling...walmart is not going to sell fishing stuff anymore. Anyway , today I went to walmart and was shocked at how much fishing stuff they have out already , the isle got BIGGER than last year , more hooks , new brands ( at my store anyway ) more storm swimbaits , they now have bandit cranks , lake fork swimbaits , lake fork swimbait hooks , more yum products , more norman cranks including the dd22's. I also noticed alot of empty hangers inbetween the fishing products indicating more to come....cant wait to see what it is....
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 11:28 PM   #2
CMorg

p.s. I too thought walmart was getting out of the fishing business...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 11:30 PM   #3
ho_shi
BassFishin.Com Member

here they clearancin out for new items for 09 bigger and better items!!!
ho_shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 12:33 AM   #4
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Well, it seems that last years rumors were wrong. I haven't checked out either of the local Walmarts so I don't know if it applies to my area or not. But honestly, I have 2 Dicks Sporting Goods within 30 min of my house. So I haven't purchased any fishing gear from Wally World since Dicks came to Long Island.
Old 02-07-09, 01:56 AM   #5
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Mine is still stocked.
Old 02-07-09, 02:17 AM   #6
gizzardshad
BassFishin.Com Member

WTL..

I'm confused by your 09 bass count..did you take a weeklong trip to mexico or something?
gizzardshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 02:35 AM   #7
WTL

No, just a couple of quick sunday trips to the fish river - you know, just dinkin around and stuff.
Old 02-07-09, 02:59 AM   #8
MississippiBoy

Our Walmart was stripped down to about 5 feet of space on one side of one aisle for fishing stuff, and almost no rods in the holders above it. Now, there's both sides of one whole aisle dedicated to it. Yesterday, there wasn't much there, but there was all kinds of room and labels for everything. Looks like they're growing, not shrinking.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 04:30 AM   #9
islandbass

The walmarts in my area suck for bass gear. I think we have less than 1/5 of an aisle. A handful of rapalas, jigs and walmart spinnerbaits pretty much sums it up. The word about walmart getting out of selling fishing gear appears to not have been a universal decree.
Old 02-07-09, 08:53 AM   #10
aikenyounggun

Yeah our walmart just restocked their shelves and i have been hearing about huge discounts, but all they had was one box of some crankbaits and jerbaits for 2.95. Not anything i really needed.
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 12:00 PM   #11
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
The walmarts in my area suck for bass gear. I think we have less than 1/5 of an aisle. A handful of rapalas, jigs and walmart spinnerbaits pretty much sums it up. The word about walmart getting out of selling fishing gear appears to not have been a universal decree.

Same here, Wally world sort of sucks. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 03:07 PM   #12
ho_shi
BassFishin.Com Member

dicks i wish i had one close i have academy within 30 min or so but the dicks is like 45 and there is a academy right beside them

thats IF i want togo into the DFW metromess. Walmart and ordering online works fine for me lol
Old 02-07-09, 06:25 PM   #13
woody

I loathe checking out at wally world.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 06:30 PM   #14
JB

i always turn around and check out the crowd while in checkout here at wallyworld wooody..I did happen to snag a handfull of citrus shad color cordell traps today before the grocerys went in the cart...its a good day even if the bait
monkey just got a few nibbles in...
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 07:00 PM   #15
IS300n8
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to IS300n8

man im so glad that i live 15 minutes from dicks and cabelas makes life so much easier.. i try to avoid walmart whenever possible.. seems like you cant do anything in that place anymore unless you speak spanish
IS300n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 08:20 PM   #16
Stinkies Daddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I live 15 miles from Bentonville, I have a buddy that does the restocking of stores from his desk at the H/O. The unofficial word is that Wally will not go heads up with PETA. Insted y'all will start seeing a change in your stores products, it will be very seasonal and when its gone, its gone! The shelves will then be restocked with what ever crap they deem fit for that season. I dont even think they are gonna be involved with FLW any more. I'm no wally supporter by any means but i think it's sad when a power house like WAL*MART which btw has more money than Davey Crockett, can be pushed around by PETA. The next thing we will see is no more sales of dog leashes because it might traumatize poor lil Fido, and no more cat litter because Fluffy might be claustrophobic and shouldn't be forced into a litter box and he will be allowed to sh*t on the carpet next your favorite chair. Sorry, it just makes my butt pucker when i see this crap!
Old 02-07-09, 08:43 PM   #17
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkies Daddy View Post
I live 15 miles from Bentonville, I have a buddy that does the restocking of stores from his desk at the H/O. The unofficial word is that Wally will not go heads up with PETA. Insted y'all will start seeing a change in your stores products, it will be very seasonal and when its gone, its gone! The shelves will then be restocked with what ever crap they deem fit for that season. I dont even think they are gonna be involved with FLW any more. I'm no wally supporter by any means but i think it's sad when a power house like WAL*MART which btw has more money than Davey Crockett, can be pushed around by PETA. The next thing we will see is no more sales of dog leashes because it might traumatize poor lil Fido, and no more cat litter because Fluffy might be claustrophobic and shouldn't be forced into a litter box and he will be allowed to sh*t on the carpet next your favorite chair. Sorry, it just makes my butt pucker when i see this crap!
That makes little sense as stores in localities with no other large discount houses is giving up a market share for nothing.

I have a co-manager that actually belongs to PETA. She knows that I fish, but I'm strictly a catch-n-release fisherman, which really drives her nuts, as I keep on telling her that I don't eat Bass, and only fish for the sport of it. After she gave me the whole PETA speech, I asked her about her stand on the use of animals for drug testing. I just let her go on and on. When she was done, she asked me if I changed my mind. My reply was maybe she should ask the woman in charge of PETA. You see, she's a heart patient just like me, and her drugs for the most part we tested out on animals that keeps her alive. Maybe she should suggest that she stops taking those drugs as a protest. Of course she'll die. But it's for a good cause.
Old 02-07-09, 09:25 PM   #18
clydes02
BassFishin.Com Member

Joel thats funny i live in va and hate to hear peta you should sent that to there office.I also do saltwater fishing and get sick to hear that they want to call fish sea kittens.I was telling my friend we should do a fish fry infrount of there offices.Also i work at walmart and the only reason i get tackle there sometimes is convienience and i get a disscount and of course that bait monkey has to talk to me all the time.
clydes02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 11:15 PM   #19
rangerryan

my walmart isnt even a supercenter. all they have are gold hooks, split shots, beetle spins, and crappie jigs. we should have our own PETA

People for the
Eating of
Tasty
Animals
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 11:16 PM   #20
ho_shi
BassFishin.Com Member

peta

please eat tasty animals
Old 02-08-09, 08:35 AM   #21
catbird
BassFishin.Com Member

ive found tons of line on sale at one of our wallmarts for $3.50 for 330 yds/ spool. Trilene xt 17 lb test, trilene xt 14 lb test, stren lo vis 12 lb test. some lines low as $2.50, smaller test. i got about 8 spools=about $28.00. i cosider this a good deal.
catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 06:23 PM   #22
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by catbird View Post
ive found tons of line on sale at one of our wallmarts for $3.50 for 330 yds/ spool. Trilene xt 17 lb test, trilene xt 14 lb test, stren lo vis 12 lb test. some lines low as $2.50, smaller test. i got about 8 spools=about $28.00. i consider this a good deal.
Be careful of sales on fishing line especially at Walmarts. Who knows how many years they've had that line. At some point the line must age.
Old 02-08-09, 06:37 PM   #23
bamabassman

listen gang....DO NOT LET THE MRS KNOW!!! if she finds out that wally world has RESTOCKED the fishing isles, she'll make me stay home on grocery day. hahahahahahahaha.
Old 02-08-09, 09:38 PM   #24
abu4600

Our wal mart is restocking for 09 now. I havn't seen a big change in brands though.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 11:29 PM   #25
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I think they just stock what really sales and is flying off the shelf. We have a pretty good selection of bass lures in our store. I notice the end of the year bargain wagon gets slimmer every year because they are stocking what people want. But when I go to work in south Louisiana, they are stocked with cokahoe minnows and dried shrimp. I think it is just a location thing.
Bubba_Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.