Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-10, 12:49 AM   #1
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Brand of Line

I looked back a few pages and did not see this in a thread, so if I am repeating this thread, I am sorry. I know that a lot of us will use different types of line and different sizes of line for different applications. What I am curious about is your favorite brand of line. What is your favorite brand of mono, fluoro and braid?
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 12:54 AM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

OK good thread. I like cajun red line mono and I just got a spool of Ande clear, I also use trilene big game in green. As for braid..i have been using power pro. I just bought a spool of suffix, gonna give it a try. I don't use fluoro line as of yet. But i may in the near future.
Old 01-17-10, 01:09 AM   #3
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Mono- Triline big game also in green, it's cheap and works very well.
Braid- Power Pro, it's smoother on the cast than many braided lines and it's strong.
Flouro- Seaguar AbrazX, very smooth and the abraision resistance performs well.
Old 01-17-10, 01:10 AM   #4
buzbait88
BassFishin.Com Member

For mono, I like the trilene XT about 14-17lb test

braid I like spiderwire stealth. Nothing under 30lb, I tried power pro and liked it, but occasionally I would get a backlash and the line would snap and the lure would go flying with 10 yards of line attached to it.

flouro-I like viscious in 14-17lb test. My only complaint with flouro is that occasionally I will cast and get a backlash, pick it out and then on the next couple of casts I will find a spot where the line is broken in the spool. It gets really frustrating and maybe I just need to change the line more.
buzbait88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 01:14 AM   #5
Jrob78

I like Suffix Elite for mono and Power Pro for braid. I don't use flouro but I really like copolymer lines. Yo-Zuri Hybrid is my favorite but I like P-Line CX too. A lot of guys on here seem to like the CXX better, it is stronger than the CX but has more memory.

I use 10# and 12# copoly on baitcasters, 14# and 17# mono and 50# braid.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 01:38 AM   #6
Rebbasser

After trying MANY monos and fluroros I use P-Line Floroclear for everything I don't use braid for and Powerpro for braid applications. I finally realized I don't need umpteen different lines for different applications since I fish for fun and not a paycheck. Made fishing a lot more enjoyable.
Old 01-17-10, 09:51 AM   #7
MIbasser

For mono I use Stren original.
For braid I use both Power Pro and Suffix.
For Flouro I use BPS - stuff works great.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 10:04 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Fluorocarbon - Seaguar InvisX (or AbrasX)

I've used about four different fluoros, and InvisX is by far the limpest and most managable of any of them. While I haven't used the AbrasX yet, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a more abrasion resistant fluoro. I would like to try Sufix's new fluorocarbon, and Seaguar's new Tatsu (but that one's a bit out of my price range).

Mono - Sufix Elite (or Siege)

I've used Stren, Trilene, and a few others, and the Sufix Elite is by far the best. I find this line has a lot less memory than either stren or trilene (even when those two have had KVD Line and Lure applied). Just like the Seaguar AbrasX, I haven't used the Sufix Siege, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a more abrasion resistant mono. I don't use mono much, and there isn't any other mono out there that makes we really want to try it.

Braid - Sufix Performance Braid.

I've used BPS Braid, P-line Spectrex, Power Pro, and the Sufix. The sufix is by far the smoothest of any of these lines. It is made with 6 strands of fiber as opposed to the 4 strands used in Power Pro. Of the lines I've used, Power Pro is my second choice. One downside to the Sufix Performance braid is the color fades kinda fast, but that doesn't bother me or effect the performance of the line. While the Sufix is a bit more expensive that most other braids, they offer a money back guarantee if you don't like it (which I think you will if you try it.) There's really only one braid that I'd want to try, and that's the new Fireline Braid. Made with 8 strands, it is supposedly smoother than the Sufix.

Copolymer - P-line Floroclear or Yo-Zuri Hybrid.

I put two lines up there because I think they're both good for different things. For most finesse applicastions or ones that require more sensitivity, the Floroclear is my choice in copolymers. I've used it for jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, wacky rigging, shakey head, and a few other techniques. Downside, not as sensitive as pure fluoro, but still better than mono. Not as abraision resistant as some fluoros.

For applications that require a tough abbrasion resistant line, I'd go with the Yo-Zuri. This stuff is definately tough. It is a bit stiffer than the Floroclear, and isn't as sensitive. I used Yo-Zuri Hybrid Ultra Soft on one of my spinning reels in a river for smallies once. I got my tube caught on some rocks and after pulling and tugging, I couldn't get it out. I walked around the the rock to the other side, my line rubbing the whole way. When I got the lure out, I inspected my line: almost looked brand new. No nicks, and VERY little abrasion. The downside to this is like I said, not very sensitive, and a bit stiff.

BB
Old 01-17-10, 10:07 AM   #9
BassinNC

Mono= trilene XL in 12,14,17 lbs.
Floro= trilene 100% floro in same pounds as mono.
Braid= spider wire stealth in 30-65 lbs.

Just picked up a roll of that new deep cranking line from suffix to try out. Havnt used it yet tho.
Old 01-17-10, 10:08 AM   #10
Bassboss

Ok so a far as brands, of mono, I really like P-line now, I was a sufix fan, but I really like this stuff! CXX to be exact, don't use it on spinning reels though. They first 1/4 of the fist outing this stuff has some pretty bad memory. But after a while, it's fine, pretty limp line (not like XL, or sufix Elite, or even siege though). It's abrasion resistance is tremendous. After flipping some stick ups and catching 5 nice bass in them, mine line had few nicks and fray in it. Best abrasion resistant line I've ever used. This line is also very sensitive, and low stretch. Great for using worms and jigs, granted you have an OK rod. It's also tough as nails!! I'm using the 12lb and have yet to break off, tests have shown it breaks at more like 22.5lbs! So don't get more than 12lb, 10lb is probably a little better breaking at around 17lbs.

That mono is kind of limited to casting tackle though. But for spinning tackle I like P-line Floroclear. I've only used it a few times but so far I like it a lot, (I'm using 8lb). Very low diameter, extremely limp, and decently sensitive. But I can't really say for sure having only used it a few times. But I really liked Ande original mono (8lb) a whole lot. Surprisingly low stretch, and sensitive too, how ever it lacks a little bit in abrasion resistance, and and a little on the high end for of stiffness for spinning reels. A fine line though.

For fluorocarbon, I like BPS XPS pretty good. It's about as stiff as the 12lb CXX (14lb Floruo), nice abrasion resistance. The only thing that it lacks in is knot strength, I broke off a bunch of time at the knot (palomar). Also it's a little less sensitive than other Fluorocarbon I've tried After having so much luck with other p-line products, I'd like to try the line of p-line fluorocarbon (Halo and regular), I've heard great stuff about them too.

For braid I like Power Pro. It's kinda rough, but stays round, and does not adsorb water like some spiderwire does. But I'd like to try Sufix Braid after hearing such good about it.

Hope this helps! Good luck and good fishing!

Last edited by Bassboss; 01-17-10 at 11:11 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 10:17 AM   #11
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
For fluorocarbon, I like BPS XPS pretty good. It's about as stiff as the 12lb CXX (14lb Floruo), nice abrasion resistance. The only thing that it lacks in is knot strength, I broke off a bunch of time at the knot (palomar). After having so much luck with other p-line products, I'd like to try the line of p-line fluorocarbon (Halo and regular), I've heard great stuff about them too.
bassboss, skip the P-line fluoro and go with Seaguar. I haven't heard much but negative about the P-line Fluorocarbon, and it was the first fluoro I used. A LOT more memory than the Seaguar, and stiffer. I cut it out after a big backlash and never looked back. While I haven't heard much about the Halo, I can only hope it'd be better.

BB
Old 01-17-10, 10:54 AM   #12
MIbasser

Quote:
For fluorocarbon, I like BPS XPS pretty good. It's about as stiff as the 12lb CXX (14lb Floruo), nice abrasion resistance. The only thing that it lacks in is knot strength, I broke off a bunch of time at the knot (palomar).
I would have to disagree with you on that one. I use it from 8lb to 20lb test and don't remember loosing a fish with the line breaking on a hook set or at the boat.

Do you wet your line before tying the palomar knot? Oh, and this is the only knot that I will use.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 11:08 AM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
bassboss, skip the P-line fluoro and go with Seaguar. I haven't heard much but negative about the P-line Fluorocarbon, and it was the first fluoro I used. A LOT more memory than the Seaguar, and stiffer. I cut it out after a big backlash and never looked back. While I haven't heard much about the Halo, I can only hope it'd be better.

BB
Thanks BigB, It'll rely depend on how much cash I have at the moment, if I have enough, I probably will go with seaguar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
I would have to disagree with you on that one. I use it from 8lb to 20lb test and don't remember loosing a fish with the line breaking on a hook set or at the boat.

Do you wet your line before tying the palomar knot? Oh, and this is the only knot that I will use.
Yes, I always wet the line! But it was sitting in my garage (in a box) for about 3, 4 mouths before I used it, so, that may be the reason.
Old 01-17-10, 11:31 AM   #14
BigBassin144

Quote:
Yes, I always wet the line! But it was sitting in my garage (in a box) for about 3, 4 mouths before I used it, so, that may be the reason.
Fluorocarbon does not degrade with heat and UV light like mono does.

And actually, mono, despite getting stiffer with time, actually has a decent shelf life if it is in a cool environment and away from sunlight.

BB
Old 01-17-10, 11:34 AM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Fluorocarbon does not degrade with heat and UV light like mono does.

And actually, mono, despite getting stiffer with time, actually has a decent shelf life if it is in a cool environment and away from sunlight.

BB
Hmm, that's cool, thanks bigB!
Old 01-17-10, 12:51 PM   #16
bassboogieman

Mono: don't use it, I prefer a co-polymer (YoZuri)
Braid - Suffix
Flurocarbon - YoZuri (only leaders for me)
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 10:18 PM   #17
basstastic
BassFishin.Com Member

mono = suffix
braid = suffix
floro = trilene
basstastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 01:11 PM   #18
WaffleJaw

Mono= Suffix Siege 10,17lb....Love it!!...I use to use Trilene XT...It wasnt bad,but the Suffix blows it away.
I also use the P-line CXX..I dont think Ill ever buy it again...Ive got both the 12lb and 17lb..Ive only used the 17 so far and the memory starting off was awful...I hated it....After using about a gallon of conditioner on it,it finally relaxed and became more usable...Kinda weird,Im thinking the cold,cold weather may have played a part in bad memory in the beggining.

Im looking into the Suffix Elite next.I really like the Siege,so Im sure the Elite will be a winner as well

Flo & braid I dont use,...George Perry didnt need it and niether do I

That and its too expensive
Old 01-18-10, 01:28 PM   #19
Jrob78

Quote:
I also use the P-line CXX..I dont think Ill ever buy it again...Ive got both the 12lb and 17lb..Ive only used the 17 so far and the memory starting off was awful...I hated it....After using about a gallon of conditioner on it,it finally relaxed and became more usable...Kinda weird,Im thinking the cold,cold weather may have played a part in bad memory in the beggining.
That's why I don't like the CXX, the CX isn't as bad. I've also found that if you stay at 12lb and under the memory is way better. I bought 15lb once and hated it. 10lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid is by far my favorite line to use on baitcasters and its not expensive at all. The copoly lines are really strong so you can get away with using a lighter line than you think. The breaking strength is considerably more than the lb test.

Found a chart with break strengths.
http://015d0c6.netsolhost.com/Produc...dLineChart.htm

Last edited by Jrob78; 01-18-10 at 02:23 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 12:36 AM   #20
LuvThyMeta|
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to LuvThyMeta| Send a message via MSN to LuvThyMeta| Send a message via Yahoo to LuvThyMeta|

For Flurocarbon i will give P-line a try. Ive heard a lot good stuff from this line.
LuvThyMeta| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 01:06 AM   #21
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Mono= Suffix Siege 10,17lb....Love it!!
I couldn't agree with you more. I use the 17lb and it just performs perfectly every time.
Old 01-21-10, 12:38 PM   #22
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If ya got loads of money get Sunline Shooter fluoro that stuff goes for about 30 bucks. But for braid I use pwer pro, mono i use big game, and fluoro I use pline
Old 01-21-10, 06:00 PM   #23
muddy

I only use mono for all applications, Trilene XL and or Original Stren, what ever is on sale. Stren worked well for me for decades , Trilene I have been using for several seasons,They seem to be about the same
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 07:49 PM   #24
BlueDaksi

Mono...
-Yo-Zuri Hybrid (Lo-Vis Clear)
-Sufix Siege (Neon Tangerine)
-Sufix Elite (Hi-Vis Yellow)

Fluoro...
-Triple Fish

Braid...
-Sufix Performance
Old 01-26-10, 02:33 PM   #25
CamG

Mono - Trilene Big Game

Copolymer - (Almost all I use) P-Line CXX, and CX Premium. I try other brands on occasion, but they just don't compare IMO.

Braid - Sceptrex by P-Line

Flouro - P-Line Halo
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.