Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-02-12, 04:20 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default My new Hobie Pro Angler

I am very pleased with this new kayak. Took it out today and this Hobie is VERY comfortable to fish from. I'm not quite done rigging it, I had to mark the water line in order to mount the transducer for the sonar/gps unit. It's not as fast or as agile as my former Hobie Outback, but the fishability far outweighs that. Comfort is what this kayak is about, plenty of leg room - I can't touch the front edge of the cockpit, the chair is about as comfortable a seat I've fished from, and it's very stable, I could stand up in it to fish but that would have to be a very calm day and you couldn't adjust the position of the kayay unless maybe by carring a push pole. It's just shy of 14' long and over 3' wide.

Hobie wanted $1000 for a trailer, so I bought a 4'x8' trailer at Harbor Freight for $300 and modified it a little and it works just fine AND I can use this trailer to haul my lawn mower or mulch, just about anything, which the Hobie trailer certainly could not.

The Hobie Pro Angler on it's home modified trailer.

The seat is comfortable, I don't think a full day would be uncomfortable at all. Hobie boasts of the storage of this kayak but that's a bit overstated as you have to choose how you want to use it. You could store 8 - 3700 Plano boxes (4 each side) beside and forward of the seat but if you use the wells forward of the seat it negates the capability to store your rods horizontal - which is why I bought this kayak. That said, I had PLENTY of lure storage without using the forward wells and putting my rods horizontal. I can carry 4 - 3700 Planos (or other boxes as required). In addition just in front of the seat is another tackle storage well (picture follows) with a black cutting board in the lid.

The front tackle storage well can carry 2 - medium boxes and 2- small boxes, and an area for hanging baits like spinnerbaits or cranks. NOTE: the 3 boxes shown came with the kayak as did one large Plano box.

There is a huge storage compartment up front. Waders, rain suit, dry clothes, a soft cooler, just about anything you may need should fit in there and it's easy to get to unlike smaller, less stable kayaks, you can stand up and walk up to it.

The liner of the above storage compartment lifts right out. I used a small motorcycle AGM battery - no water, no spill, and it should have more than enough power for lights and sonar/gps for a couple days - mounted under and behind it, giving me easy access when I have to charge it. You can also see the rod tubes - up to six rods can be stored horizontally.

I mentioned lights and I still need to get a front nav light but I mounted the white stern pole which will also serve as the mast for my safety flag when conditions warrant flying one (like the high grass in Florida). I installed a switch in the front of the cockpit so I can easily turn them off or on. Lights are not required but better safe than sorry on a dark morning or evening fishing or if it gets foggy. The light pole is removeable as I installed a base. The front nav light will be installed the same way.

The cockpit. The tackle storage well sits between your legs (black lid), rod storage holds 3 on each side (you can see the tubes), Humminbird 798cSI is mount on the left withing easy reach, the transducer will be mounted on the left side of the boat on the pvc pipe which is visible crossing the cockpit (marked the water line today so I know how much pipe I need to keep the transducer in the water). On the right I mounted ONE rod holder to hold a rod while moving or to retie/change a lure. The light switch is just barely visible to the left of the right side rod tubes. And of course the marvelous Hobie Mirage Drive (pedal system)

Six rods - well FIVE are no problem but the rudder control mandates a short rod for the middle of the rod handle rack. That's the rudder control just to the left of the seat and behind the rods. My FAVORITE feature of the Pro Angler is the horizontal rod storage - NO worries about casting and hooking a rod that's sticking up behind you. Casting is unhapmered.

And finally, to haul the new kayak, my new tow vehicle - 2012 Dodge Durango. Looking to save a lot on my fuel costs. I loved my RAM truck, but downsizing is what I'm doing and it had to go. I went with the 6 cyl, 290 HP engine (HEMI drinks too much) equiped with a tow package that will tow 6200 lbs. It doesn't even know the kayak it attached, haven't tried it with the Triton but it is bound to be noticable.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 06-02-12 at 04:31 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 05:02 PM   #2
Jrob78

Congratulations on the new rides. That Hobie looks like a fishing machine! It's almost a stretch to call that thing a kayak. The trailer looks great too.
Old 06-02-12, 05:07 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That's really cool Bruce. I haven't ever seen the layout of the Hobie Kayaks, that thing is really decked out.
Old 06-02-12, 05:42 PM   #4
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Nice set up...I really like it. I never realized there were kayaks that well suited for fishing. Enjoy it!!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 06:02 PM   #5
joedog

Very, very nice!
Thats not a kayak thats a fishing machine!
You have some fun ahead of you.
Old 06-02-12, 06:35 PM   #6
nobass

look awsome you should get many hours of use from it
Old 06-02-12, 06:43 PM   #7
bamabassman

congrats bruce. now you and doc bring those to the zookerfests ok? i'll tow ya'll around like i did billy at the first event.lol.

for real, looks great buddy.
Old 06-02-12, 07:22 PM   #8
keithdog

Wow, Thats the first thing that comes to mind. I can really see the appeal of a rig that that. Very nice Bruce! Almost like a mini bass boat! Can't wait to see more pics over the sumer of it in action.
Old 06-02-12, 08:25 PM   #9
kennethdaysale

Dang that's slicker than owl snot and tighter than gnat booty! I've never even sat in a Kayak much less fished out of one, does the seat swivel or can it be modified to?

But wait!...........Just hold on a hot sh*t minute.....I don't see no dadgum anchor
Old 06-03-12, 10:05 AM   #10
bassboogieman

Ken, no anchor - too much trouble. I use a (non)Power Pole, aka kayak stake out stick. Good for about 5' of water, it goes through one of the skuppers.

If the water is deeper, I just use the peddal drive to hold position, that's the beauty of a Hobie Mirage Drive, no need to pick up a paddle, hands are free to fish. Now, very windy days - it's just better to stay home.

As to the seat question - it doesn't swivel. Really not enough room with those plastic Plano boxes beside it. But you can turn your butt on the seat, it's large enough, to fish either side of the kayak. Fishing shallow relatively calm water, using the stake out stick, standing and fishing should not be a problem at all. The problem with standing unteathered, is you cannot control the kayak, you just have to go with the flow (pun intended).

Last edited by bassboogieman; 06-03-12 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-03-12, 12:33 PM   #11
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Man I soooooo jealous. I've been eyeing that kayak for I've 2 yrs now but don't have a pick up or truck to haul it around so never pulled the trigger. That thing is the ultimate fishing kayak. Mind if I ask u where u bought it and if it was a good deal?
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-12, 01:55 PM   #12
WatterBoy

Wow, that is really a sweet looking set-up, Bruce! Hope you have many great outings with it and looking forward to more reports after you get it out on the water.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-12, 02:41 PM   #13
Bassboss

Boy that thing looks REAL nice!! Have fun fishing in it, I'm sure you will!
Old 06-03-12, 03:51 PM   #14
bassboogieman

boloson - sent you a PM. Easier than taking up space here.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Any questions feel free to PM me.

I'm really enjoying fishing from a kayak. One other note: Hobie makes an electric trolling motor (12v) for this kayak. It mounts in the same well as the pedal drive, snaps right in. Not for me though, I like the kayak for the exercise, and the elec. troll motor would impeed access to shallow water, you would have to remove it and paddle as it hangs about a foot under the kayak - NOT TO MENTION it costs as much as the kayak itself - $2500 for a trolling motor, give me a break. The flippers go flat against the hull when you push either pedal all the way forward, allowing you to go in very skinny water, although you do have to break out the paddle. Now I mentioned exercise so don't get excited, it's not a sweat breaking exercise, but better than sitting in a lazy boy or running the trolling motor on my Triton. I've had both knees replaced, but several hours peddaling around on the Hobie doesn't bother me at all, rather my legs feel better after fishing in the kayak than they do fishing on the big boat.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 06-04-12 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-03-12, 06:12 PM   #15
woody

"Nice rig"

Hey Bruce, I'm glad to hear you found a fishing platform best suited for you in the fisheries of your area.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 10:40 AM   #16
nofearengineer

I'm very jealous, Bruce. That thing looks great. You can definitely get to places you wouldn't think of taking the Triton.
Old 06-04-12, 11:41 AM   #17
Dogmatic

SWEET! the nicest fishing yak there is...and the only one I would fish out of(maybe a Native with pedal drive, you can go backwards), you really get what you pay for. Now it's time to talk to Bassyaks, for a custom trolling motor mount(not as cumbersome as the Hobie model)???
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 12:16 PM   #18
WaffleJaw

You really have to see these things in person...They are sweet set ups and a pleasure to peddle!
Congrats on both toys Bruce!..And good call on the Harbor trailer...Kayak made trailers are ridiculously priced imo.

Why are you using a trailer?...Its a kayak right?...Just throw it on the roof like everyone else...It only weighs what, maybe 60-70lbs?

Seriously man,Sick ride,enjoy it!
Old 06-04-12, 12:52 PM   #19
bassboogieman

Actually, it's 140 pounds. I know you're ribbing me, but that is a bit much. The trailer makes everything so easy. Back up to the water and slide it off or on. I certainly don't need to dunk the trailer, but water access (like a ramp or GENTLY sloping banks) are a must.

Doc and I are talking about another Florida trip early next year - only this time, to the Keys to fish the flats and just maybe try to catch a tarpon from a kayak. I've caught one with a guide from a flats boat, but can you imagine hooking a decent sized tarpon from a yak? Can you say "get the cigars ready, Cuba here I come?
Old 06-05-12, 05:28 PM   #20
Dogmatic

They make wheels for 'em that slide into the scupper holes...
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 07:48 PM   #21
bassboogieman

Got the wheels, kept them from the Outback but it's still easier backing the trailer back to the water's edge if it's accessible.
Old 06-06-12, 08:53 PM   #22
boloson

thanks for the pm boogieman. i have the brochure at home but never pulled the trigger. i hate driving a trailer especially small trailers because they tend to jack knife everytime i back up. i might buy a smaller kayak but nothing compares to that hobie as far as fishing goes. have fun on that thing man
Old 06-06-12, 08:54 PM   #23
boloson

and i dont know of any other kayaks that have foot pedals?
Old 06-06-12, 10:03 PM   #24
bassboogieman

Native Watercraft is one other brand I looked at that has a pedal drive. The difference being Native is a propeller system and pedals rotate just like a bicycle.

Advantage over Hobie - you can pedal in reverse.

Hobie has a flipper system and the pedals move back and forth.

Advantage over the N. W. - flippers fold flat against the hull by pushing one pedal all the way forward, that allows you to get in skinny water or heavy weeds without removing the drive system.

Two entirely different drive systems, each with it's own advantage over the other. Which is right for you? Only you can decide that but for me, the reason I chose Hobie was the access to or through skinny water and beaching the kayak without having to remove the drive system

Last edited by bassboogieman; 06-06-12 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-06-12, 10:14 PM   #25
boloson

interesting. i assume the hobie cannot pedal backwards?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.