Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-08-07, 04:00 PM   #1
Jolly
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Cool What's your favorite Flippin' Stik ?

What's your favorite Flippin' stik for bigger baits: jigs, tubes, tx rig, etc. G-Loomis, Fenwick, Airrus, Kistler, St. Croix, etc. I need specifics like model numbers, etc.

Thanks,

Jolly
Old 01-08-07, 04:07 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Fenwick Techna AV-I'll get the model next time I'm by the boat.
Old 01-08-07, 04:45 PM   #3
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have a Guide Series 7'6" flippin stick. Guide Series is Gander Mountain brand. It is senstive with a lot of back bone!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 05:26 PM   #4
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I am forever searching for the best flipping stick.I just got a 8' Lamiglas XFT806 model flipping stick for christmas.I haven't got to heavy jig fish it yet, but I fished a spidergrub on a leadhead in 38 ft. of water.Best way to describe it is extreme sensitivity.I can't wait until I hit the milfoil beds to see whats what.Right now I am not sure I am going to like it, it has a very parabolic blank, on a hookset it sort of catapults the fish through the first few feet of water, might yank a average fish airborne on the hookset in shallow milfoil water.I had a regular Kistler flipping stick, I didn't like the rod tip, too stout for a good pitching stick, no where near the feel of this Lamiglas has.I also use 2 Castaway Bud Pruitt HG40 7'6" Heavy flipping sticks.This flipping stick is worth every penny, going for $129.99 at NBS, its very close to the lamiglas, might be lighter weight,just a awesome pitching stick. For the money it is one hell of a durable sensitive flippin stick. I also got a Custom Rainshadow blank flipping stick and a custom Lamiglas blank flipping stick.Custom rods are supposed to be more sensitive than a factory rod, but in my opinion, they are still in the same ball park sensitivity wise if you buy a upper end rod series, they are just nicer built with custom wrap designs, split grips, no foregrip in front of the reel seat.The thing that sucks is you have to designate a specific reel for them as they cut the reel seat threads so its a custom fit to the reel foot. The other thing with the custom rods is the spiral wrap guide system, what little I have used them, I love the concept, makes it look like no other run of the mill rod as well. Let me know what you find, there are alot of nice looking flipping stick out on the market, I really want a tactical assalt flipping stick, thats on the new priority list. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 06:31 PM   #5
zooker

umm fenwick techna av 7' heavy ,and fenwick hmx 7'6'' x-heavy..

zooker
Old 01-08-07, 06:38 PM   #6
JB

I used to have a 7 1/2 foot allstar rod with a abu garcia, but that got stolen, I replaced it with a castatic on a 6/12 foot Bionic Blade. A lot shorter for flipping but I didn't like the weight of the allstar at the time.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 06:56 PM   #7
ToPwAt'R GuY

7'6" Fenwick
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 08:08 PM   #8
PowerBass

7ft 6in Quantum Tour Edition, hopefully uped to a st croix soon. Sorry zook, love the st croixs, as much or more than the fenwicks lol
Old 01-09-07, 06:11 AM   #9
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBass View Post
7ft 6in Quantum Tour Edition, hopefully uped to a st croix soon. Sorry zook, love the st croixs, as much or more than the fenwicks lol
Power, I have the Quantum Tour Edition 7'6" Heavy flipping stick, I like every thing about it except the weight.Its heavier than the others with the exception of the Saint Croix Avid series 7'3" MH flipping stick I have.In my opinion , your not gaining anything from that trade, except the brand name change.The Avid was $190.00 rod , I really hate it, the Quantum was a $49.99 clearance rod from Gander Mountain and I would fish it before I would the Saint Croix I have.Of course I am not always correct. P N J
Old 01-09-07, 06:25 AM   #10
pig n jig

Here is the website to the tactical assalt rods.I can't beleive I don't have one yet. Its been on my christmas list for 2 years now. P N J http://www.bassrods.com/Assault_Rods.html
Old 01-08-07, 08:23 PM   #11
zooker

power
don't make me come up the and beat you with that st crow rod. hey it is your money blow it any way you want to..

zooker
Old 01-08-07, 08:34 PM   #12
PowerBass

LOL. Zook, I didnt say I was giving up on the fenwicks, quite contrary, I just like the St Croix Flip Stick, and the premeir series.
Old 01-08-07, 09:16 PM   #13
lizardsrule

Quote:
LOL. Zook, I didnt say I was giving up on the fenwicks, quite contrary, I just like the St Croix Flip Stick, and the premeir series.
Wait till you get your hands on a Legend Elite rod

I prefer not to flip if at all possible, I pitch probably 75% of the time I'm fishing My favorite is a St Croix EC70HF
http://www.stcroixrods.com/rods/defa...8&section=spin

My second choice is my G-Loomis 7' MH(don't know the model off the top of my head)

I do have a 7'6" G-Loomis Flippin stick that I haven't used in over a year. I'm thinking about turning it into my c-rigging rod

Lizards
Old 01-08-07, 09:57 PM   #14
JB

thats about what I did with that heavy allstar rod, it was just too heavy to flip with, but just right to C rig with....the only problem is I pitch into cover almost all of the time and C rig maybe .05 % of the time, but will take my time and pick apart some good looking real estate by flipping, I have always found it relaxing once you get the mechanics down....
Old 01-08-07, 11:04 PM   #15
weaverml34

I just got an Airrus Co-Matrix 7'9" XH flippin' stick. I haven't gotten to fish with it yet but it is really sensitive. Probably a little bit heavier than some others but I'm not sure you can beat it for the money since I got it on sale.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 11:39 PM   #16
Vabass22

I havent even perfected flipping yet. Thats def. 1 area I need to work on. I am ok at pitching. I'm getting a pitchin' stick this spring though.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 09:02 AM   #17
links_man2

You can't go wrong with one of Kit's Sidewinder rods. He guarantee's you will like it or he takes it back no questions asked. You tell him what you are wanting and he builds it. Might want to look into these: http://www.texassidewinderrods.com/ .
links_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 10:39 AM   #18
DadofJolly
BassFishin.Com Member

I prefer the 5 1/2 ft. Rhino rod with the fancy factory glow tip. Just kidding Son. I still love my 7 1/2 ft. Pro Qualifier that's sitting in 40ft of water - just off the dam at Alan Henry. It was so lite, and I could feel a perch fry taking a crap within 20 yards of my bait.
Old 01-09-07, 11:21 AM   #19
dodgeguy

$119.9938-151-624-00
Read Item Notice
1 below
12-30 LB
3/8 - 2 OZ7'6" H
HANDLE C
LB,SB,R,SNJX76HT-T

Johnny Morris Signature Series Trigger Rods

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse
Old 01-09-07, 05:15 PM   #20
pig n jig

Jolly, What are you gettin ? What are you looking at ? I forgot to mention I got a whole closet full of flipping sticks.Still have the very first one I bought .You can't ever have too many flippin sticks.What price range are you looking at ?You don't need to spend alot to get a good flipping stick.I got an Bass pro shop Extreme, bought it for $49.99.I use it for a frog rod, but I jig fished it one day, worked well enough, I am not much on the brand name, but its a good stick, I abuse the hell out of it in the slop and it holds up well.The other rod I recommend is a American Rodsmith, I owned one for a short while, gave it to my friend who broke his low rider flipping stick.I was really impressed with it while I had it, He loves it, is going to buy 2 more before next season.P N J
Old 01-09-07, 05:24 PM   #21
PowerBass

PNJ, The weight is alot!

Ill look into a Setyr Stick then.
Old 01-10-07, 05:45 PM   #22
pig n jig

Quote:
PNJ, The weight is alot!

Ill look into a Setyr Stick then.
I don't really get caught up in the weight as a determining factor.Its more on how it performs out on the water.I may be straying towards old age, but I ain't so old I can't use a heavier weight flipping stick all day long day after day. Roflmao... If its light weight that you are looking for, look for a 1 piece rod instead of a telescopic rod blank.Actually I was baiting Lizards with the Saint Crow post, Saint Croix makes nice rods, it is on the heavy side , but its not unbearable to fish all day long.The MH action of Saint Crow is like a Heavy in other brands.Difficult to pitch jigs with, but you can get by with it if you like to flip more than pitch. Here is a early spring bass caught on the saint crow rod.I take that because of the hillbillys in the area, you might haveto drop rods and go to fist fighting for a good spot on the creek to fish. Roflmao... P N J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	saint crow.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	337.8 KB
ID:	1259  
Old 01-10-07, 06:14 PM   #23
JB

thats the advantage to me about carrying many rods, you can use that heavy long rod for thick trash, but as we all know, all day on the water doesn't necessarily mean we are flipping to the same objects..I guess I was pretty lucky
when taught to bass fish, cus the guys that taught me flipped most of the time, I learn the other techniques of bass fishing mostly through tournament partners and then worked on refining my game as the years went by..I'll pick up the heavy line, rod, and1/2 jig with a craw or uncle josh pork on it and work when needed, but I prefer to switch worm rods and rods I use only for tubes through out the day. In other words, that flipping stick gets heavy rofl...and yes pnj, i got 10 years on ya but don't feel old yet, I am on the rebound from when i was 42 and felt like shyt
Old 01-12-07, 09:14 PM   #24
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
I don't really get caught up in the weight as a determining factor.Its more on how it performs out on the water.I may be straying towards old age, but I ain't so old I can't use a heavier weight flipping stick all day long day after day. Roflmao... If its light weight that you are looking for, look for a 1 piece rod instead of a telescopic rod blank.Actually I was baiting Lizards with the Saint Crow post, Saint Croix makes nice rods, it is on the heavy side , but its not unbearable to fish all day long.The MH action of Saint Crow is like a Heavy in other brands.Difficult to pitch jigs with, but you can get by with it if you like to flip more than pitch. Here is a early spring bass caught on the saint crow rod.I take that because of the hillbillys in the area, you might haveto drop rods and go to fist fighting for a good spot on the creek to fish. Roflmao... P N J

I knew you were baiting me, but decided to wait for more rotflmao. Just pair that Saint Croix up with a Shimano, and you'll be the BOMB

Lizards
Old 01-09-07, 07:08 PM   #25
Jolly

PNJ, I am seriously looking at the Lamiglas, G-Loomis and Airrus rods. I don't really have a price range, I am just looking for the best. I flip alot of pretty heavy baits (1/2 + oz.) year around and am looking for a new one. I also would like to be able to carolina rig with it though, since I do alot of that in the summer months. Probably going to get a Med-hvy or hvy but not the Super hvy or whatever. Needs to have a tip on it. I have an extreme flippin' stik right now and it is just sooooo heavy to use for 12 hours straight. I am looking for light, sensitive, and tough. I have to be able to pull large fish outa trees so it has to be a stout rod. Also, looking at those assault rods but I don't know what blank they use. Anyone know?? I dunno, going to get one in the next week or so. Going to pair it with a Lefty BPS Extreme 7.1 reel. I really want to feel the rods before I buy and I just can't here. No place here sells any of the rods above except for falcon, all american's etc. and that is just at acadummy. I appreciate all the help though guys!! Keep em coming!

Jolly

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.