Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-15-08, 10:44 PM   #1
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default "Black" bass question

Saw some big females today cruising the bank with large, black spots around their heads and eyes. Like most pre-spawners, they were real shy and finicky so I didn't get a chance to pull any onto the boat. Anybody know what that black stuff is? Genetics? Some reaction to coming up shallow? Boot polish from Zooker stompin' 'em this weekend?

-Pig
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-08, 11:25 PM   #2
torelaxandenjoy
BassFishin.Com Member

Black spots

Black spot disease is commonly observed in rock bass and other sunfish, bass, pike, perch, minnows, and other fish species. It can be identified by the presence of small black spots, usually about the size of a pin head, in the skin, the fins, the musculature, and the mouth of the fish. The black spots are caused by pigment that the fish deposits around the larval stage of a parasitic digenetic trematode, usually a Neascus spp.

The lifecycle of the "black spot" parasite is complex. The adult parasite is found in a fish eating bird, the kingfisher. The larval parasite is transferred from the infected fish to the bird during the feeding process. In the kingfisher, the larval stage develops into an adult parasite. The adult parasite in the intestine of the bird produces eggs that are eventually deposited in the water. There the eggs mature, hatch, and develop into the miracidium stage of the parasite. The miracidium infects a snail. In the snail, the miracidium develops into the cercaria life stage. The cercaria leaves the snail and actively penetrates a host fish. In the fish, the parasite becomes encysted. In about 22 days, black spots form around the cyst. This entire lifecycle takes at least 112 days to complete.

In general, the presence of the "black spot" parasite does not affect the growth or the longevity of the infected fish; however massive infections in young fish may cause fish mortality. The parasite is incapable of infecting humans and, as is the case with all fish parasites, it is destroyed by thorough cooking. When fish are heavily infected, some anglers prefer to remove the skin to improve the appearance of the cooked fish.
Old 03-15-08, 11:31 PM   #3
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by torelaxandenjoy View Post
Black spots

Black spot disease is commonly observed in rock bass and other sunfish, bass, pike, perch, minnows, and other fish species. It can be identified by the presence of small black spots, usually about the size of a pin head, in the skin, the fins, the musculature, and the mouth of the fish. The black spots are caused by pigment that the fish deposits around the larval stage of a parasitic digenetic trematode, usually a Neascus spp.

The lifecycle of the "black spot" parasite is complex. The adult parasite is found in a fish eating bird, the kingfisher. The larval parasite is transferred from the infected fish to the bird during the feeding process. In the kingfisher, the larval stage develops into an adult parasite. The adult parasite in the intestine of the bird produces eggs that are eventually deposited in the water. There the eggs mature, hatch, and develop into the miracidium stage of the parasite. The miracidium infects a snail. In the snail, the miracidium develops into the cercaria life stage. The cercaria leaves the snail and actively penetrates a host fish. In the fish, the parasite becomes encysted. In about 22 days, black spots form around the cyst. This entire lifecycle takes at least 112 days to complete.

In general, the presence of the "black spot" parasite does not affect the growth or the longevity of the infected fish; however massive infections in young fish may cause fish mortality. The parasite is incapable of infecting humans and, as is the case with all fish parasites, it is destroyed by thorough cooking. When fish are heavily infected, some anglers prefer to remove the skin to improve the appearance of the cooked fish.
WOW...great info there....thanks
bassdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 07:30 AM   #4
Mac10
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default black

There is a fungus that can appear to be large black spots formed on the fish after being caught and handled with dry hands. The protective coating on the skin is removed by dry hands and the fungus forms. In Chattanooga Acquarium there's a bass with the definite hand print shape in black....it's unmistakeably a human hand. I've heard that it will eventually kill the fish, but about that, I am not certain.
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 07:47 AM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac10 View Post
There is a fungus that can appear to be large black spots formed on the fish

so der is a fungus among us?? aww come on i just had to say it..

i have seen the black spots on the bass before did not know it was paracydic..

zooker
Old 03-16-08, 08:20 AM   #6
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

This is very common among the panfish and bass up here. I'd say about 1 of every 15 or 20 fish has it.

-Lunk-
Old 03-16-08, 10:42 AM   #7
3dkicker

Normally on the Potomac if you catch a "spotted" bass it's a good fish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	2014  
Old 03-16-08, 12:16 PM   #8
torelaxandenjoy
BassFishin.Com Member

If I catch anything with spots even chicken pox I consider a good catch.
Hey 3d it was a great pleasure talking to you in Roanoke, I was tagging along with pig. That reminds you were going to send me a rod and lure that was going to guarantee me to catch a 20lb. bass. Time is is now on our side.
Old 03-16-08, 02:07 PM   #9
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by torelaxandenjoy View Post
That reminds you were going to send me a rod and lure that was going to guarantee me to catch a 20lb. bass. Time is is now on our side.

I'll get my custom rod maker on it immediately. Got the jigs being made now and the skirts and trailers are coming along nicely. Should have it all completed any day now.......
Old 03-16-08, 02:39 PM   #10
torelaxandenjoy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Thanks

Maybe than I can at least catch bait for pig
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
I'll get my custom rod maker on it immediately. Got the jigs being made now and the skirts and trailers are coming along nicely. Should have it all completed any day now.......
Old 03-16-08, 06:05 PM   #11
pignjig

You're funny, Relax, but looks aren't everything. Excellent piscatorial research, my man! Very interesting stuff. Let us know how that rod 3D's sending you works out...

-Pig
Old 03-16-08, 11:47 PM   #12
torelaxandenjoy
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey pignjig it just dawned on me your avatar reminds of the little pig our very young daughter ( years ago) accidently kicked when the li'l pig scared her during a petting zoo in Tanglewood Mall.
Old 03-17-08, 06:15 PM   #13
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Read this: http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/articles/T205.htm
Old 03-17-08, 06:33 PM   #14
pignjig

PK- That article is "spot" on. Every day I'm reminded that there's always more to know. Good stuff...

-Pig
Old 03-17-08, 07:20 PM   #15
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Yeah, it's crazy 'cause I've never caught a bass with black spots and never even heard of this before reading this thread and then I found that article.
Old 03-17-08, 08:40 PM   #16
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Normally on the Potomac if you catch a "spotted" bass it's a good fish.

sooo smitty are you SAYING you are going to put me on lil bass like dat come may??

zooker
Old 03-17-08, 09:27 PM   #17
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Krueger, Jr. View Post
Yeah, it's crazy 'cause I've never caught a bass with black spots and never even heard of this before reading this thread and then I found that article.
Coming from Texas I can attest to the fact that I have seen bass like that on every lake I have fished. We've always heard that it was just a pigment disorder and not to worry. After reading this thread and reading the articles, I am leaning more to the human handling theories because they make the most sense right now.
Old 03-18-08, 10:32 AM   #18
pignjig

You know, Bob, speaking about handling fish- If you go to bassmaster.com there's a photo of Van Dam throwing a fish over the side behind his back. Maybe this is a pale flag to wave but how much effort would it have taken to put that fish back in the water correctly? A lot of studies have been done about post-hook up mortality and how the stress of fish smacking the water can cause them to go into shock. It's just like those guys at the weigh ins holding those big fish up and swinging them around by their jaws forever. I don't know... It just seems like we can do better as far as conservation and helping to keep the fisheries healthy.

That's the Pig sermon of the day, I guess. I'll get off this soapbox now...

-Pig
Old 03-18-08, 11:05 AM   #19
brushhog

Amen, father pig.... We need to take every precaution, no matter how big or small, to preserve or fisheries. If we don't no one else wil....
Old 03-18-08, 03:14 PM   #20
BassAddict

The big fish my brother is holding had a bunch of black spots on it. It's a 5 lb Potomac River fish. We actually made a check that day!

Zooker... if your going to fish the Potomac with 3D then your in for a treat!!! I love that place!

Old 03-18-08, 04:28 PM   #21
bassnman30

There is alot of info. about what "not" to do with bass. This is also on the bassmaster.com site.
Old 03-18-08, 09:55 PM   #22
pignjig

That's true. There is a lot of information out there. Bassmaster.com does a great job of educating and entertaining...especially, like you said, when there's already so much stuff out there. In my opinion, it must be pretty difficult to come up with some original angles, sometimes!

Thanks to everybody for your help!

-Pig
Old 03-19-08, 08:36 PM   #23
zooker

yeah addict making the north east run.. got smitty, capt mike, gunny, an our very own kevin, -aint heard from him on it yet- lined up in a single week.not in that order btw.. i'll be in nj the week before..-which may come to a suprise to some- then friday i got my crew of misfits doing an early offshore grouper trip..saturday rest and work on rods as i have a ycg tourny on tuckertown on sunday.-ifin my butt aint draggin to hard by then-

why addict you want to meet up?? im issued..

zooker
Old 03-21-08, 10:45 AM   #24
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
sooo smitty are you SAYING you are going to put me on lil bass like dat come may??

zooker

I'll put you on 'em......you have to catch 'em.

Yes, I'll take you to that exact spot and see if they're stacked up like they were last year. We had a couple good days there over a three week period and won a little $$ too.

By the way, as of 11:45 today I am officially on vacation for the next 9.5 days......hmmm, maybe I'll do some fishing. Don't be worried if I'm not around for the next week or so....

Last edited by 3dkicker; 03-21-08 at 10:55 AM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.