Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-02-10, 10:57 AM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default My newest rod build.

Well I never did get enough sunlight to do this rod justice,but these werent too terrible..lol.
I was inspired by Vendetta and Cumara on this build.Its a 6'6'' Med/Fast CRB rod...Fugi concept Alconite guides ,Modified Pac Bay Minima reel seat...I shaved off some of the threads for a more tighter custom fit on the reel seat...Split tiger wraps for the split grip and butt wrap....And then I took it back to old school and hand signed the rod....My writing will get better,hahaha!
All in all this was by far my cleanest work so far....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	541.7 KB
ID:	4657   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	532.5 KB
ID:	4658   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	542.4 KB
ID:	4659   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	641
Size:	362.5 KB
ID:	4660   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	762
Size:	423.2 KB
ID:	4661  

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	622
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	4662   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	629
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	4663   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.JPG
Views:	625
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	4664   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	539.5 KB
ID:	4665   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	537.7 KB
ID:	4666  

Name:	11.JPG
Views:	786
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	4667   Click image for larger version

Name:	guide wrap.jpg
Views:	1023
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	4669  
Old 02-02-10, 11:05 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Dang man that's nice!

I like the underwrap on the guides. Just curious, have you weighed any of your rods? I would think the tiger wraps add a bit of weight since all the epoxy you've got to use. How many coats do you use between the bottom and top layers of the wrap?

I really like the winding checks on either side of the front half of the reel seat.

BB

Oh, and I think that rod would look amazing with the new Revo SX
Old 02-02-10, 11:07 AM   #3
NTW
BassFishin.Com Member

Sweet work!
Old 02-02-10, 11:25 AM   #4
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Dang man that's nice!

I like the underwrap on the guides. Just curious, have you weighed any of your rods? I would think the tiger wraps add a bit of weight since all the epoxy you've got to use. How many coats do you use between the bottom and top layers of the wrap?

I really like the winding checks on either side of the front half of the reel seat.

BB

Oh, and I think that rod would look amazing with the new Revo SX
Thanks BB, yea Im addicted to doing underwraps on all the guides,They just look better imo,plus they protect the blank more and allow for more thread inlay work.

Ive actually never bothered weighing my rods...This was slightly heavier already due to the blank I used,but even after the build it stills feels really good with a reel on it...
The previous Rainshadow rod I built probably has close to ,if not more epoxy,and the first thing people notice is how incredibly light it is.

The tiger wraps on this one ran about three coats each...One thick one on the bottom layer..(which Im actually gonna start doing two separte ones instead)..and then I did one layer on the top..Went back after it cured,ran it over with steel wool to smooth out imperfections,and apply a thinner layer of epoxy top to bring back the gloss....

I tell you one thing...These reel seats are a PITA to build with, and there very finicky about what reels fit them it seems...Like a Silvermax's reel feet is too thick to slide in the trigger side...Quaifiers and Revos fit perfect though...They look cool,but Im not really a fan of them
Old 02-02-10, 11:39 AM   #5
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Awesomwe work. Looks pro style.
Old 02-02-10, 12:23 PM   #6
islandbass

Great job, WJ!!! I really like the red and black color combination.

You know, there is one lamiglas XMG blank that I think you would love to work on. It is in the Mud Hole catalog and I think its about $72 but if you bought it made by Lamiglas, it's becomes an over $200 rod MSRP.

I might get into rod building and I don't plan on skimping by building with a "cheap" blank, although I'll probably regret it. They say to use a lesser blank because of the mistakes that will be made.
Old 02-02-10, 12:42 PM   #7
Jrob78

Great job man!! We've talked so much about it, it's great to see the final product! I bet it fishes as nice as it looks! Way to go!
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 12:51 PM   #8
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Great job, WJ!!! I really like the red and black color combination.

You know, there is one lamiglas XMG blank that I think you would love to work on. It is in the Mud Hole catalog and I think its about $72 but if you bought it made by Lamiglas, it's becomes an over $200 rod MSRP.

I might get into rod building and I don't plan on skimping by building with a "cheap" blank, although I'll probably regret it. They say to use a lesser blank because of the mistakes that will be made.
Ive looked at the Lamiglass rods and they do look good,you cant go wrong with Lamiglass.But Ill be honst and say that I was actually highly impressed with the CRB blank..Its not my favorite,but man it was alot better than expected.
The next one or two will be built on MHX blanks most likely...After hearing and reading all the reviews,and then seeing the one that Jrob78 built when we went fishing (By the way Jrob78 builds badass rods!) Ive been dying to try them!
I plan on jumping around a few brands until I find the one that is the absolute best for the money.And theres quite a few to choose from.
But I got a feeling that Rainshadow and MHX will be the best bets
Old 02-02-10, 12:53 PM   #9
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

WJ: Nice Job! I like the use of the EVA foam grips. I have a few questions (naturally)....

1) Did you buy the the grips like that or did you turn them yourself?

2) I am confused on when to use fore grips and when not to. Was your approach personal preference or is there some method to the madness?

3) The coating/finish on the threads looks really straight. Were you hand turning or did you use a motor while you were applying?

4) Did you balance the rod any since its not a 100% tip up technique?

@ Islandbass - I haven't built a rod yet, but have been researching the @#$@ out of it for the last 2 months. Most have told me "go the cheap rod build first.......get all the mistakes out of the way.......then move up in components". I think that is balogney!

There is going to be a learning curve either way. If you do your homework, put in the time for research, then why not benefit from it with a rod you will "want" to use vs a rod you "need" to use. Its a rod you built, how can you not be happy with it?
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 12:58 PM   #10
Jrob78

Quote:
The next one or two will be built on MHX blanks most likely...After hearing and reading all the reviews,and then seeing the one that Jrob78 built when we went fishing (By the way Jrob78 builds badass rods!) Ive been dying to try them!
I plan on jumping around a few brands until I find the one that is the absolute best for the money.And theres quite a few to choose from.
But I got a feeling that Rainshadow and MHX will be the best bets
Thanks man!! I definitely think for the price the MHX and Rainshadows are hard to beat. They're super light and very sensitive. Most other blanks basically cost the price of a finished production rod less maybe 10%, they make it hard on hobby builders. We'll see how the Lamiglass Composite is here pretty soon, although it isn't apples to apples comparing a composite crankbait rod with a 100% graphite fast action rod.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 02:25 PM   #11
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiK View Post
WJ: Nice Job! I like the use of the EVA foam grips. I have a few questions (naturally)....

1) Did you buy the the grips like that or did you turn them yourself?

2) I am confused on when to use fore grips and when not to. Was your approach personal preference or is there some method to the madness?

3) The coating/finish on the threads looks really straight. Were you hand turning or did you use a motor while you were applying?

4) Did you balance the rod any since its not a 100% tip up technique?

@ Islandbass - I haven't built a rod yet, but have been researching the @#$@ out of it for the last 2 months. Most have told me "go the cheap rod build first.......get all the mistakes out of the way.......then move up in components". I think that is balogney!

There is going to be a learning curve either way. If you do your homework, put in the time for research, then why not benefit from it with a rod you will "want" to use vs a rod you "need" to use. Its a rod you built, how can you not be happy with it?
Thanks Tony.
To answer your questions:

1.I buy stock EVA (9'' grips,3/8 ID)and cut and turn them myself on a drill lathe using mandrels i made with masking tape and 1/4 aluminum stock

2. Fore grips I shyed away from..Thier strictly personal perference...But not having one leaves more room for decrotive butt wraps..Plus you shave a bit of weight and have more room to touch the blank for increased sensistivity

3.always turn by hand while applying epoxy..I tried the motor and it got messy quick!!...By hand first,then to the motor to level and cure.

4.balancing a rod is a very subjective subject....I dont bother balancing a rod because a never handled one that I felt needed it....Theres still alot of debate over this and thats just my opinion.
Old 02-02-10, 05:32 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Waffle, I did the tiger wrap on my crankin stick and put what I thought was a thick coat on the bottom layer. I then wrapped the the whole thing and peeling the spacing thread off. Nothing... Any ideas?

BB
Old 02-02-10, 05:42 PM   #13
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Waffle, I did the tiger wrap on my flippin stick and put what I thought was a thick coat on the bottom layer. I then wrapped the the whole thing and peeling the spacing thread off. Nothing... Any ideas?

BB
Hmmmm Did you remember to wrap the top layer in the oppisite direction?
did you burnish the top wrap before removing the sacrifical thread?
How loose was the tension,remember on both the under and over wrap the thread tension needs to be looser than normal..I do mine with baaaaaaaarely any tension

And when burnishing,I dont mean like a burnishing tool to keep the thread packed and even,I use a sewing tool (i forget the name) but its like a pick with a teeny ,tiny steel ball tip..I just slide that ball tip across the thread in different directions...A small tip: If you lay your head down by the grips and look at the wrap from that angle,you can catch the effect and see some off your burnishing pattern.
Old 02-02-10, 05:45 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Hmmmm Did you remember to wrap the top layer in the oppisite direction?
did you burnish the top wrap before removing the sacrifical thread?
How loose was the tension,remember on both the under and over wrap the thread tension needs to be looser than normal..I do mine with baaaaaaaarely any tension

And when burnishing,I don't mean like a burnishing tool to keep the thread packed and even,I use a sewing tool (i forget the name) but its like a pick with a teeny ,tiny steel ball tip..I just slide that ball tip across the thread in different directions...A small tip: If you lay your head down by the grips and look at the wrap from that angle,you can catch the effect and see some off your burnishing pattern.
The first time no, I didn't remember to wrap in the opposite direction. DOH! So I cut it all off and did it again. Still nothing. The tensioner I use doesn't work well with two threads in it, so yes, it was fairly loose. I did burnish the bottom, but maybe not enough. I didn't however, burnish the top. Could this be the problem? I wasn't aware that the top needed to be burnished like this as well...

BB
Old 02-02-10, 06:23 PM   #15
WaffleJaw

Quote:
The first time no, I didn't remember to wrap in the opposite direction. DOH! So I cut it all off and did it again. Still nothing. The tensioner I use doesn't work well with two threads in it, so yes, it was fairly loose. I did burnish the bottom, but maybe not enough. I didn't however, burnish the top. Could this be the problem? I wasn't aware that the top needed to be burnished like this as well...

BB
Yea you gotta burnish both layers pretty good to get the effect..If the thread is straight its noticable....Also make sure while removing your sacrifical thread to pull striaght and not get in a hurry a pull at an angle!!...Keep messing with it,maybe only wrap a few inches,burnish that and pull the thread off as a test,see how that looks before wrapping the whole thing...
Old 02-02-10, 09:34 PM   #16
Bassboss

Holly crap man! That's an AMAZING looking rod, I love the marble thing you did on there, love the thread wrapping too. Yer gonna have to get an equally awesome looking reel to put on there... 2010 revo SX maybe?
Old 02-02-10, 09:51 PM   #17
CMorg

I agree Walker , thats some very good work...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 11:34 PM   #18
Justin2729
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Looks awesome!
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 02:22 AM   #19
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Glad to see you finally got it out of the shop Walker. That thing is cherry pie brother, so-weeet.
Old 02-05-10, 03:30 AM   #20
MN Bass Man
BassFishin.Com Member

That is one sharp rod! Would look SWEET with a Shimano Core on it!
MN Bass Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-10, 09:46 AM   #21
Big Al
BassFishin.Com Member

Yup, Core, Steez SH, or how about that new Scorpion 1000XT!
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.