Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-10, 12:27 PM   #1
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default When a good pattern just isn't enough

Our local club had a tournament this weekend, I took off work friday to prefish. During the prefish I found a good pattern fishing dock pilings with a jig. On tournament day we set the plan into action, we hit our pilings religiously. We must have had 6 other boats fish them at times with us and only seen 1 person pull a little dink off of them. We fished them all day, and I only lost 1 bass (had to be 6+, wrapped me up in the pilings, I got a good look at him just couldnt get him out, and he came unbuttoned) Conditions were tough, a cold front moved thru the night before, wind was blowing 15-25. Despite all that I put together a 16.5 lb sack of fish.

I thought surely that would do it, well at the weigh in we had a 20lb sack and an 18 lb sack so I took 3rd. Not too bad, and definitly helped me out on our AOY race, but It is kind of dissapointing when you put the time in, find a pattern (wich was different than anything the rest of our crew was doing) catch some quality fish, dont make many mistakes and still come up short.

Does it make you second guess yourself, or your decisions on the water when you think you have it figured out, only to find out at the weigh in someone had a better day?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 12:35 PM   #2
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Always have a backup plan and alternate pattern figured out, especially with weather changing like that. I would have suggested to move a bit deeper off points, bottom transitions and weedlines since they likely headed a bit deeper to more stable temperature water.
I ran into that this past weekend where the front moved through the day before and only caught a few small bass by the dock, and guys out on a boat fishing deeper on the weedline edge did better (for fun, not a tourney).
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-10, 02:46 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Doc, that's fishing. If that 6 pounder hadn't come unbuttoned you win. Sounds like you had it right, just had a spot of bad luck. I wouldn't second guess yourself over this one. With the conditions you faced you did better than I probably would have!
Old 03-17-10, 03:57 PM   #4
brushhog

What Reb said...
Old 03-17-10, 06:02 PM   #5
cassidyta

Doc,

I have had similar experiences. You had a good pattern that caught a decent bag. It turns out that someone else had a better one.
The only time I second guess myself is when I find myself catching the same size fish over and over again.

That is when I need to change my plan or pattern to find that kicker.
Old 03-20-10, 10:46 AM   #6
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Gee, cry me a river! If I caught a 16 lb bag the day after a cold front and finished third, I'd be celebrating.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.