Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-10, 04:30 PM   #26
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hi Jrob, I was planning on 9" from the butt to the seat...is that really enough to justify a 13.5?
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-10, 05:19 PM   #27
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I know I am a little late, but I called a dentist and they gave me a few bags of the small braces rubber bands. I put them on and just clip them off when I get the thread close to it. Don't cut it too quick though like I learned or the guide will pop off and you will be sinking change in the swear jar.
Old 02-27-10, 07:57 PM   #28
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Hi Jrob, I was planning on 9" from the butt to the seat...is that really enough to justify a 13.5?
Those reel seats fit tight, if you go with a 13 you're pretty much going to be stuck at about 10.5". I would take a measurement for you but I have cork at 9". If you go with a 13.5 it's going to put you closer to the butt but how much, I don't know.

Mudhole normally takes a day to process orders anyway, I would wait until Monday morning and call and get a good measurement. Or go with the 13.5 and it will put you somewhere closer to what you want.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 01:31 PM   #29
WTL

Hurray for the monkey!

Order Summary:

Amount
X521MA-9611 Br. Bronze HT Metallic Thread Size A 100 Yards - Bright Bronze HT Metallic: 9611 Bright Bronze $3.65 1 $3.65
FC5 FC China Marker - White $1.95 1 $1.95
RSG3T-EVA-1/2 CRB Split-Grip Rear Grip (EVA) 3" EVA Grip Size: 1/2" $0.78 1 $0.78
MB843-MHX MHX Mag Bass 7' 1pc. 10-17lb B0.59 T5 Slate R6/B9,10 $47.50 1 $47.50
MKOG-3.5 Fuji Alum. Oxide Micro Guides - Polished SS Guide Size: 3.5 $1.40 10 $14.00
FPACK Finish Epoxy Package - 2 part $2.69 1 $2.69
FBCC-2 1.25" Fighting Butt, Cork/composite cork (0.360" ID) $1.75 1 $1.75
FBCC-5 1 3/8" Fighting Butt, Cork/Composite Cork (0.360" ID) $1.95 1 $1.95
RFT-1.38-FT ATC Flocked Rubber Shrink Tube - 1.38" RFT: 1.38" ID $10.25 1 $10.25
NCMT-4-5 ATC Nanolite Micro Tip-Top w/ Chrome Frame (4mm) 5/64" RING/TUBE: 4-5.0 $1.69 1 $1.69
EB-1 ATC EVA Tapered Butt - Size 1 EVA Butt Caps: 1/2" I.D. x 1 3/4" O.D. $1.95 1 $1.95
U407-2 U-40 Quick Bond (2 oz.) U-40: 2 oz. $6.75 1 $6.75
NCMT-4-5.5 ATC Nanolite Micro Tip-Top w/ Chrome Frame (4mm) 5.5/64" RING/TUBE: 4-5.5 $1.69 1 $1.69
MKOG-5 Fuji Alum. Oxide Micro Guides - Polished SS Guide Size: 5 $1.40 10 $14.00
DCL--534 ATC Lasercut Decals - Smallmouth Bass Fish Decal: Smallmouth Bass $2.65 1 $2.65
RSG3T-CORK Split-Grip Rear Grip 3" x .350" ID (Cork) $3.78 1 $3.78
GMC16C-G-135 Pac Bay Minima Cast Seat - Gold Hood 13.5MM Reel Seats: 13.5mm I.D. Gold $7.20 1 $7.20
Subtotal $124.23
Shipping & Handling $22.45
Tax 0.00
Total $146.68
Old 03-01-10, 01:39 PM   #30
Jrob78

Looks good! Hopefully it will get to you by Thursday. It's like Christmas when that big Mudhole box shows up!
Old 03-02-10, 11:19 AM   #31
Jrob78

I just read a tip on Mudholes forum about how to hold micros on the blank while wrapping. Someone suggested using bread ties. I think it might be worth trying out.
Old 03-02-10, 08:01 PM   #32
WTL

Like twist ties? Might be worth a shot.

I am going to get some shrink wrap tubing of little size and cut them into little slivers. That should do a good job and be smaller in diameter than a rubber band.

It might be a little while before I complete the build, as I received an email that the blank is on backorder. Hopefully it doesnt draw out. I also hope they do the right thing and don't divide up my shipping. Might be a lot to hope for.

Jrob, when you did microguides did you do it on this blank? If so the spacing you used would be helpful.

BTW, on my other rod where I retrofitted micros I am experimenting with a single feeder guide of a small (but not micro) size, about 20" from the reel. I got pretty good performance out in the back yard with that.
Old 03-02-10, 08:21 PM   #33
Jrob78

Quote:
Like twist ties? Might be worth a shot.

I am going to get some shrink wrap tubing of little size and cut them into little slivers. That should do a good job and be smaller in diameter than a rubber band.

It might be a little while before I complete the build, as I received an email that the blank is on backorder. Hopefully it doesnt draw out. I also hope they do the right thing and don't divide up my shipping. Might be a lot to hope for.

Jrob, when you did microguides did you do it on this blank? If so the spacing you used would be helpful.

BTW, on my other rod where I retrofitted micros I am experimenting with a single feeder guide of a small (but not micro) size, about 20" from the reel. I got pretty good performance out in the back yard with that.
Yes twist ties, I think it would work but I think the shrink wrap tubing is a better solution. I think that will work well for you.

That sucks about your blank being back ordered, hopefully it will come in soon. That happened to me once and they gave me the option of splitting up my order or not. In my case though It was only a tip-top that was back ordered so it made sense to split it up. I'm pretty sure I payed shipping twice.

The feeder guide should work, that's what people do when they don't do all micros. I will get my rod out here in a bit and PM you the measurements.
Old 04-04-10, 04:47 PM   #34
WTL

OK, I have finished the build. First, the pictures (cause thats all anyone cares about)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0809.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	4929

Name:	IMG_0812.JPG
Views:	396
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	4930

Name:	IMG_0813.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	4931

Aesthetically, I used just copper thread, accented with cobra skin on the first 3 wraps and around the seat.

I originally was going to use cork, and I think cork is better for this type of rod, but the cork grips I was sent seemed awfully small in out diameter for a rod that I am going to be flinging with. So I went with the black EVA which feels good in the hands and is a lot more to hold on to. I also really, really like the way the pac bay reel seat feels in hand.

I almost am not willing to go into performance yet, as I need a few real trips with the rod the judge. Having retrofitted another rod to microguides, as well as this one (which uses #5 guides - the largest of the microguides) I am leaning towards saying I am not sold on them.

I am sold that they cast alright, and by necessity they are smaller, lighter, better for a rod box. But I certainly can't tell that they offer much improvement in casting distance, and it seems that it is more difficult to dial a reel in to avoid small overruns. Perhaps part of that is the braid I use.

But again that is all preliminary.
Old 04-04-10, 05:22 PM   #35
Jrob78

Damn, you weren't screwing around. Looks great! I like the cobra skin, adds a nice touch.

Aren't you using a really small diameter braid, like 10 lb? Have you had success casting that reel with that braid on a conventional guide rod? Just wondering if it was possible to rule out either the line or the guides, if you had a control to compare to. I hate that you aren't completely happy with the guides. Hopefully it will work itself out. At any rate, it looks like you did a great job with the rod and knocked it out quick!
Old 04-04-10, 05:58 PM   #36
WTL

On this rod its 30 lb suffix braid. Its not the line, been using braid for years.

I really am being a little picky on the guides. I may need a couple trips to iron things out some. Might not have a problem other than having to alter the drag setting. I only hit a pond for 10 minutes with this, so its not a big sample of time to make a judgment. There is so much in this that is perception, it just seems as if the line isn't floating through the guides quites the same. Could also be unique to my casting technique.

Last edited by WTL; 04-04-10 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-04-10, 09:21 PM   #37
Jrob78

Oh ok, I don't know where I got 10 lb from, must have dreamed that one up. I wouldn't think 30 lb braid would give you problems. Well, hopefully with a little more use it will work itself out. I think you are right about the line not flowing through the guides the same, it probably isn't. I guess you will have to determine if that change is a good thing or a bad thing.
Old 04-04-10, 10:29 PM   #38
WTL

I use 10 lb on the other setup, so you didn't get it from thin air. It still casts well. The sound of the line going through the guides is different too. I might just learn to adjust my casting technique, we all cast hundreds of times a day, and we all make slight adjustments that arent even conscious when we switch reels...might just learn a different stroke is more optimal.
Old 04-04-10, 10:42 PM   #39
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Nice work WTL. I am fixing to glue my handle on as soon as I get the baby to bed tonight and will hopefully have my first full build done this week.
Old 04-05-10, 09:22 AM   #40
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

WTL, it looks good! The rounded EVA rear grip makes for very comfortable two handed casting, a few of the St Croix rods have split grips like that. The cobra skin adds a very cool touch.

Very nice for your first rod.

BB
Old 04-05-10, 09:47 AM   #41
WaffleJaw

Billy I think you did an amazing job!!!...That rod looks sharp!!
I have to ask,How was the snakeskin to work with??....Ive been wanting to try some in the near future.
Again man very nice job,Hope you do more of it!
Old 04-05-10, 10:01 AM   #42
WTL

WJ,
the snakeskin was surprisingly easy to work with....I actually found wrapping more difficult. There is a mudhole tutorial on youtube on the subject. Basically you measure it to get the right diameter, cut it, then apply color preserver to hold it on, then go back over the ends and wrap it and then finish it. Thats it.

It will be interesting to see how it lasts. It turned a little dark in some places.
Old 04-05-10, 12:34 PM   #43
WaffleJaw

Quote:
WJ,
the snakeskin was surprisingly easy to work with....I actually found wrapping more difficult. There is a mudhole tutorial on youtube on the subject. Basically you measure it to get the right diameter, cut it, then apply color preserver to hold it on, then go back over the ends and wrap it and then finish it. Thats it.

It will be interesting to see how it lasts. It turned a little dark in some places.

Very cool,thanks man...color preserver,lol...That surprisingly makes sense.
Old 04-05-10, 10:17 PM   #44
66KingFisher

You guys are sure making me want to build my next rod.....Nice job on the snakeskin.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.