Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-11, 03:17 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Strange request

I know this is probably going to sound strange and this thread will probably head south pretty quick but I will see if I can get some help anyways. There is a guy in our club that I have become pretty good friends with. He is a good stick and a funny dude that is a hoot to be around. Anyways he has the ugliest pair of fishing shoes I have ever seen. They are blue suede saucony running shoes, yes they are actually blue suede shoes lol. He claims they are the most comfortable shoes he has ever worn for fishing and that's why he wears them but I constantly make fun of how ugly they are. I am needing some new shoes that are comfortable to stand in all day long so I figured why not see if I could top him in the ugly shoe department. I am thinking something in the way of running or tennis shoes that will not be extremely cold in the spring or too hot in the summer, although I also wear Crocs flip flops in the summer when it's really hot. I would like to stay with a quality brand shoe because I don't put a seat on the front deck of the boat because I like being able to walk around without restrictions, so I spend all day standing up and at the end of the day my knees and back will hurt terrible if I don't get a quality shoe. So lets see what kind of ugly colored shoes you all can come up with for me. I should also add that I don't want to drop a fortune on shoes that are too ugly to wear out in public so I am hoping to keep the price under $100 or there abouts.
Old 10-03-11, 03:32 PM   #2
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Frankenstein dunks.

Old 10-03-11, 03:41 PM   #3
doc

this is an easy one, these are hands down the ugliest shoes i've ever seen. That being said, they say that they are real comfortable

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-Komodo-Sport-Mens.htm
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 03:42 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Frankenstein dunks.

Wow those are pretty ugly lol. I kinda like them so far.
Old 10-03-11, 03:45 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
this is an easy one, these are hands down the ugliest shoes i've ever seen. That being said, they say that they are real comfortable

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-Komodo-Sport-Mens.htm
I agree that those shoes are pretty awful. I would consider them but I have read that they cause some bone fractures in feet if you don't get your feet used to wearing them by just wearing them for short periods of time everyday and work up to wearing them for long periods of time. As bad as I want to hold the title of the uglies shoes in the club, I don't want to risk missing the season with a bum wheel because of it.
Old 10-03-11, 04:11 PM   #6
WaffleJaw

Old 10-03-11, 04:20 PM   #7
Jrob78

Take your pick.

http://www.google.com/search?q=salom...w=1105&bih=636
Old 10-03-11, 04:30 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Joe I think the tread on those babies is a little overkill for being in a boat, however they are pretty ugly so I haven't ruled them out. Do you have any experience with that brand of shoe? Are they comfortable?
Old 10-03-11, 04:43 PM   #9
Jrob78

Hahaha, I don't have any experience with those shoes, they were just the first really ugly ones I saw on Eastbay.

Great place to buy shoes if you know what size you wear and don't need to try them on first. I pretty much always wear the same brand, in a few different styles. Eastbay is good for finding colors your local stores don't have.

http://www.eastbay.com/?SID=8035&inc...ogle-_-eastbay
Old 10-03-11, 04:56 PM   #10
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Doc, you're absolutely right. Those are, without a doubt, the ugliest, most ridiculous looking things that I think I've ever seen. My God man you have to draw the line someplace. They look like something that Beelzebub would have me wearing in the afterlife. I'm gettin' religion now for sure.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 04:58 PM   #11
Bassboss

Never liked the looks of these.

Old 10-03-11, 05:00 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Hahaha, I don't have any experience with those shoes, they were just the first really ugly ones I saw on Eastbay.

Great place to buy shoes if you know what size you wear and don't need to try them on first. I pretty much always wear the same brand, in a few different styles. Eastbay is good for finding colors your local stores don't have.

http://www.eastbay.com/?SID=8035&inc...ogle-_-eastbay
I never even thought about Eastbay. I used to order a lot of stuff from them when I was playing high school baseball. I will check them out.
Old 10-03-11, 07:19 PM   #13
bassboogieman

Wearing these may prompt someone to shout "CHOOT 'EM"
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 07:33 PM   #14
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Tiger View Post
Doc, you're absolutely right. Those are, without a doubt, the ugliest, most ridiculous looking things that I think I've ever seen. My God man you have to draw the line someplace. They look like something that Beelzebub would have me wearing in the afterlife. I'm gettin' religion now for sure.

I think I would spend most of my time trying to get them from "out between" my toes.

Carolina, I did not hear about the break in period , Wouldn't try to suggest something that would mess your fishin up, all accounts i've heard from them are that they are really comfortable. I personally think they look uncomfortable, and silly. You did ask for ugly, and that they are
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 10:17 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I think I would spend most of my time trying to get them from "out between" my toes.

Carolina, I did not hear about the break in period , Wouldn't try to suggest something that would mess your fishin up, all accounts i've heard from them are that they are really comfortable. I personally think they look uncomfortable, and silly. You did ask for ugly, and that they are
Yeah I have heard a lot of good things about them too, except for the few cases I have heard of foot fractures. But those are people who were running in them so they might not cause any problems from fishing. They are ugly and I can't imagine them being as comfortable as they are supposed to be.
Old 10-04-11, 08:24 AM   #16
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

http://www.eastbay.com/product/model...lue/?cm=57831P

I can say for sure that they are comfortable too...my wife has a purple pair.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 09:20 AM   #17
MississippiBoy

A friend of mine just bought these, and she's extremely proud of them. If you want, I could find out where she got them...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SHOE.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	7220  
Old 10-04-11, 11:45 AM   #18
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
http://www.eastbay.com/product/model...lue/?cm=57831P

I can say for sure that they are comfortable too...my wife has a purple pair.
Those are more along the lines of what I am looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
A friend of mine just bought these, and she's extremely proud of them. If you want, I could find out where she got them...
WOW!
Old 10-04-11, 04:38 PM   #19
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Yeah I have heard a lot of good things about them too, except for the few cases I have heard of foot fractures. But those are people who were running in them so they might not cause any problems from fishing. They are ugly and I can't imagine them being as comfortable as they are supposed to be.
Kory, due to my recent interest in barefooting, I have spent a considerable amount of time reviewing alternative footwear for those times when wearing a shoe is required. So I can tell you that your above statement is correct in regards to the foot fractures you mentioned...they were caused by running on pavement without changing their "heelstrike" running style....Period.

Those issues will not effect you if your not going to use them for running......But whether you run or not, I do recommend that you give the Vibram Five Fingers a serious look....They may be one of the uglies shoes on the planet, but virtually everyone that wears them, swears they'll never wear anything else, so there must be something too that huh? Check out www.birthdayshoes.com and read thru the information....look at what folks are saying in the forums, and look thru reviews of other brands of whats being called "Minimalist running shoes" and then make up your own mind about which brand fits your needs.

As for your lower back pain after standing awhile, I want to share this with you......I spent all of my life standing on concrete all day, and a large portion of that spent in a squated position as I serviced copy machines and printing equipment.....lower back pain, as well as hip, and knee pain became just a part of my life....even years after I retired from that type of work I still delt with daily lower back and hip pain when I'd stand for even short periods of time. All that pain went away shortly after I stopped wearing shoes. Now, how does that happen??

And, I'm not the only one Kory.....read posting after posting of people thats either gone to a barefoot lifestyle, or those that have switched to a minimalist style of shoe, and their lives have changed.....their pain is now gone, and they just feel better.....All because they now wear an ugly shoe, or no shoe at all....Is it really that simple?

I'm a believer, and I'll gladly share more info away from this thread if you want to know more Kory.....I don't want to sound like some sort of Snake Oil salesman here, but its hard not to want to share something that works with those around you, if you know what I mean?
Old 10-04-11, 09:42 PM   #20
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
DC's are actually great shoes. when I'm not wearing work boots or flip flops, I've got skate shoes on (I hate tennis shoes) and DCs are the best I've tried. Friend of mine has got the same pair. I personally tend to stick with blue/gray, red/black, or black/white color themes myself. But they've got some wild colors.

However, I must say skate shoes are not the shoes you want for standing all day. They have no support and my feet kill me if I work in my etnies instead of my boots.

BB
Old 10-05-11, 01:50 AM   #21
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
Kory, due to my recent interest in barefooting, I have spent a considerable amount of time reviewing alternative footwear for those times when wearing a shoe is required. So I can tell you that your above statement is correct in regards to the foot fractures you mentioned...they were caused by running on pavement without changing their "heelstrike" running style....Period.

Those issues will not effect you if your not going to use them for running......But whether you run or not, I do recommend that you give the Vibram Five Fingers a serious look....They may be one of the uglies shoes on the planet, but virtually everyone that wears them, swears they'll never wear anything else, so there must be something too that huh? Check out www.birthdayshoes.com and read thru the information....look at what folks are saying in the forums, and look thru reviews of other brands of whats being called "Minimalist running shoes" and then make up your own mind about which brand fits your needs.

As for your lower back pain after standing awhile, I want to share this with you......I spent all of my life standing on concrete all day, and a large portion of that spent in a squated position as I serviced copy machines and printing equipment.....lower back pain, as well as hip, and knee pain became just a part of my life....even years after I retired from that type of work I still delt with daily lower back and hip pain when I'd stand for even short periods of time. All that pain went away shortly after I stopped wearing shoes. Now, how does that happen??

And, I'm not the only one Kory.....read posting after posting of people thats either gone to a barefoot lifestyle, or those that have switched to a minimalist style of shoe, and their lives have changed.....their pain is now gone, and they just feel better.....All because they now wear an ugly shoe, or no shoe at all....Is it really that simple?

I'm a believer, and I'll gladly share more info away from this thread if you want to know more Kory.....I don't want to sound like some sort of Snake Oil salesman here, but its hard not to want to share something that works with those around you, if you know what I mean?
Shoot Michael I thought you just went barefoot all the time because you were from Arkansas haha. Seriously man you make sense, I will do some reading on those shoes and I might have to reconsider my stance on them.
Old 10-05-11, 02:01 PM   #22
3dkicker

My serious recommendation is for your friend to go to a shoe store that specializes in fitting shoes. We have places like VA Runner in which athletes, typically runners but not always, are sent in to be custom fitted for their shoes. These type of places actually do an analysis of your feet and match your needs to shoes that will fit your needs whether you need extra arch support or if you're inverted or not.
Wearing proper fitting shoes makes a big difference if you have knee, hip, and/or back problems. See if you have anything like this in your area.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.