Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-16-10, 03:34 PM   #1
muddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Why I love fishin: Whats your stories?

I started fishing, for snappers,mackrel and blow fish, off the shores of Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn in the very early 60's. My dad, who was an Italian Immigrant, owned an Italian Butcher Shop and a part of a Pizza Place with a couple of uncles. He worked 61/2 days a week! He started to send Mom and us kids up to GREENWOOD LAKE NY/NJ Border,for the summers, to a bungalow colony full of NY Italians called CONTI's. My dad got me my first tackle box with a pocket knife, I proceeded to carve my initials into a neighbors tree/My dad made me go over and confess it was me and told me I had to cut the neighbors grass ( hand powered mower) for the rest of the summer. The neighbor owned a boat livery on the lake, buy the old 17 bridge, from which he had see me spend hours catching bluegills,sunnys,perch and the occasional pickrel.
His name was Brickner, he told me he did not want to interfere with my dad, but felt it was a bit severe. He told me if I would come by on Mondays to clean out the boats and primitive livewells, he would toss me a dozen minnows and take me out bass fishing.
So we go a few times with the minnows, he is using an old 3 ounce pyramid sinker and a rope, with color stripes on it to see the depth, when he brought up weeds, and it was deep enough, he said we fish here, I was getting an early lesson to stay away from the shore!
Anyway he is killing them on minnows, I am feeding fish. He ties on a #9Black and Silver original floating Rapala. AND MY FIRST BASS all 10 inches of him is on and I get hooked.

Now I have been fishing a lot of years, I lived in New Orleans for a time, and I sank into the desperate life of a 27 year active addiction, the last 6 years of that addiction there was no time for fishing, and then i wound up homeless.

Any ways a guy I used to get loaded with comes to the park where I am living and takes me to a 12 step meeting and i continue to go for 30 days and I GET MY FIRST CLEAN DAY!!!! I got clean in May, so a group of the older guys, who were retired would fish between meetings, they gave me a rod and reel and took with with them every day, no more Blow Fish, as the water was too dirty, but they kept me busy between meetings and fed me, got me some clothing and most of all we would fish and they would teach me how to stay clean.

When I made my 90 days they took me to my boyhood lake;Greenwood and 6 of us went bass fishing, I cried that day and when they handed me a calendar it was pointed out I had made over 200 meetings in 90 days and fishing had a lot to do with it

So now here I am 17 years and nine months later , still clean and still fishing. I live in rural PA now, soon to move back to my beloved Brooklyn. I have given a rod and reel to at least one guy getting out of jail or just getting clean , yearly since I got clean.
Now , so many have stayed clean, that several of us were doing this yearly, and we would get a big campout for 6 guys a year to get set up. We give them some basic spinning equipment, a few lures, have a couple of campfire meetings and host them and their 12 step sponsors to a weekend of fishing, and for many it has turned into a good ,clean passion

We formed int a Club last year SERENITY BASSERS, whose main Mission is to honor the fellas who hepled me get and stay clean , by equipping 6 guys a year.

I love bass fishing, never grew up from it IT IS THE ULTIMATE ANTI JOB!!!!!!
I went on some big lakes: Fork in TX.George and Champlain here, but in the end, even though we caught fish I prefer small bodies of water, with my 12 tinny and MinKota TM, period.

I catch some fish,have great company and do not like competition at all. We participate in no competions and are affiliated with no one, and i am grateful for all of this.
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 04:37 PM   #2
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Great story!

My case is just a matter of growing up around people who liked the outdoors sports for fun, not competition. My dad taught me early on that this is about going out and relaxing, not getting serious and getting mad when the fish aren't biting.

I don't have as serious of a story as you do but I am doing well keeping away from cigarettes. Smoked for 15 years, since I was 16 and quit a few months ago. Yes every day is still a battle even 3 months later, and I have an occasional few puffs off a cigar to take the edge off but otherwise doing well.
I think for me the hardest part is actually when I go fishing because it was so easy just to sit back and light up as the poles sat there. This is also why I am getting into more active bass fishing that requires more planning and movement, rather than targeting panfish where you toss the line in and let it sit. That is another reason why I got the canoe, so I am always keeping busy and aware of the canoes movements so I stay dry, keeping my mind off of wanting a smoke.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 04:42 PM   #3
muddy

Thanks for answering. There is a foot and a half of snow outside, my lake is frozen and I am going over the edge. Just want to know how you guys found this sport. Its not gonna be like a : WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE< WE WERE SO POOR"kinda thread
Old 02-16-10, 04:46 PM   #4
Callin' In Slick
BassFishin.Com Member

How I Grew to Love Fishing: A Short Story by Callin' In Slick.

Last spring, a friend took me to a lake.
I caught a couple dozen bass in two days.
The next time he took me, he caught an 8 pounder.
A month later, I caught a ten pounder.

The end.

(aka - The Beginning.)
Old 02-16-10, 04:53 PM   #5
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Lightbulb

Well I really don't have a story as colorful as that one. I guess I just grew up doing it. Almost like I was born to fish. From the time I was 3 or 4 I've been taking almost daily trips to 1 of our ponds and fishing for a good 3 or 4 hours. When I was 8 my uncle took me out, for the first time on a big lake, on his Stratos 201 ProXL. Caught nearly 50 bass that day, bait of choice was a t-rigged 4" zoom Chartruse U-tail worm. Since then, I've just been thoroughly hooked. I try to learn everything I can about the tendancies and behavior of bass, because knowing this stuff is key to being a successful bass fisherman IMO. The first thing I learned is that no technique is to far-fetched and anything can work on any given day, if presented correctly. I need to stop talking now before I start giving away trade secrets. So I guess the bottom line of my story is that I grew up around it, and now I live for it.

Concequently this little tiraid of rambling also just answered for me what I am going to give my speech about tonight. Thanks Muddy.
Old 02-16-10, 05:05 PM   #6
WaffleJaw

Muddy thats a very inspiring story...Cheers to you for staying clean and helping so many other in a rough patch in thier life...Thats truely special.

We grew up a fishing family,spending several weekends a year camping and fishing...When I was only a few months old,we traveled to the orignal Bass Pro because my Dad bought his first Tracker and had to pick it up...I loved every minute of it!...Mainly of course, catching stringers of blugill and other sunfish...If I remember right,my first bass was on Caddo Lake in that Tracker...I also remember my dad had to reel it in for me...Thats probably my earilest memory.
Of course fishing got replaced more and more into my teen years...Suddenly skateboarding and music took over..I would still go fishing with my Dad,but it was a few short trips a year...Maybe once or twice...Hell Im sure theres a few years I didnt even go at all...Then into my twenties I was heavily consumed into bass guitar and playing in bands .(that hasnt change)....Followed by the ''party monkey'' that would drag me into some really bad places....I did some city hopping in TX...moved to a different city every year with my roomates...I finally detached myself from them and all the negative people and started my tattooing apprenticeship..A few years later I took a chance with Kaci ,whom Ive known since high school,...Got clean ,got married and been doing great since!...
About two years ago,My brother died from an accident...He was my best friend and loosing him sent me over the edge....My friend was getting married around this same time and wanted to take his bachelor party to Oklahoma and float the river while spending 4 days in a cabin on the river..They wanted me to go and I couldnt afford it,so they chipped in and made me go anyways,lol.....The property we stayed on had over 20 stocked ponds...So I went to get my spinning rod from my parents house and my Dad put together two plano boxes from me (one soft tackle,one lures) and we got three day fishing passes once acrossed the border....As soon as we pulled up to the cabin,we unloaded and started to fish.....We all caught at least a 2lb bass followed by a cooler full of bluegill...Stiil the biggest fish fry Ive ever seen...and delicous!.....After that I was going way more often..The best part has been fishing and learning from my Dad...God I had so many questions for him (still do,lol)...and when I wasnt fishing I was reading about fishing...Thats how I found this forum
I have two good friends that also fished out of our circle of friends and we get together and hit the creeks,ponds and banks as much as we can.
And then every other Sunday with my Dad on his boat.

I think its absolutely unreal how the world works sometimes....I always enjoyed fishing...but not like this,this is a passion that I never would have guess would hit me so hard.
And for the last half year Ive been a novice rod builder,hahaha!
I was suppose to grow up and be a Tattooist.....not a rod builder!!
The world is so obsurd.
And I wouldnt change a thing.
Old 02-16-10, 05:09 PM   #7
doc

Now that is a inspirational story.

Last edited by doc; 02-17-10 at 03:14 PM.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 05:20 PM   #8
bassinbob

Nothing I liked better when I was a kid then my dad taking me up to our cabin. My cousins and I cut hickory sapplings and tied whatever string on them and used old rusty hooks we found laying on the ground. As far back as I can remember my dad always took me fishing. We fished the lake at our cabin, the Ohio river, strip pits, and a few of the trout lakes/streams around us. I mostly used to fish for walleye and trout. Then about 6 years ago the owners son where I work took me to a privats lake. It was like shooting them in a barrel. I caught so many bass I was instantly hooked. (pun intended)
They were even jumping out of the water to hit my buzzbait. It was crazy. While a lot of my friends, in high school, did drugs and whatever I couldn't wait to go fishing. Hunting too. Don't get me wrong, I did some drinking and womanizing. But I could never forget the feelings of getting on the lake before the sun came up. The rush of catching a fish on a new bait. The same when it was a big fish. Even if it was a cat or a carp. Now I challenge myself everytime I go out. Either with a new method or bait. I have no sons to pass this on to but I always take the time to talk to anyone who approaches me asking what their hittin on or how do you do this or that. I can still remember when my dad taught me how to tie my first clinch knot.
Old 02-16-10, 06:14 PM   #9
BeaverIslander

Fishing offers sanctuary and privacy that I don't get anywhere else. I think it's the only time I really relax completely and concentrate on only one thing. Thats my story. It's an escape.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 07:03 PM   #10
screwballl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslander View Post
Fishing offers sanctuary and privacy that I don't get anywhere else. I think it's the only time I really relax completely and concentrate on only one thing. Thats my story. It's an escape.
Same here... but since most of the ponds and lakes are getting busy, thats another reason why the canoe will take me out farther for more relaxing fishing (and to teach my daughter safe boating practices now while she is young)

Last edited by screwballl; 02-16-10 at 07:41 PM.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 07:18 PM   #11
muddy

Wow thanks. it's good to see a lot of fishing families. I have taken my daughter fishing, she is a senior at GWU now, I hope this spring to be in a boat with her again, Keep em coming fellas
Old 02-16-10, 10:03 PM   #12
BassinNC

My dad was never around when I was growing up because he worked all the time.
I would go days without seeing him. We were never close and when I moved out we would only talk a couple times a year. Only lived a few miles apart.
His fishing partner moved half way threw a tourny season. He called me cause he didn't have a partner.
I never bass fished before.
Since then we fish together every weekend and take trips to basspro.
we never talked about anything or spent anytime together before.
Now he is my best friend and I see him almost everyday and can call him now when I need a dad.
Old 02-17-10, 12:53 AM   #13
Jrob78

I've been fishing for as long as I can remember. My earliest memories are of my dad, brother, uncles, cousins and myself fishing. My dad wasn't/isn't really a serious fisherman like some of us are. He loves being outdoors and getting away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Any catch was a bonus. I definitely credit him with instilling a love of the outdoors and a love for fishing in me.

I started bass fishing seriously when I was about 16, I fished almost everyday for many years. I had some pretty bad family stuff going on at the time and found fishing to be a great outlet. I could clear my head and focus strictly on fishing. The peaceful solitude was very comforting. Eventually relationships and partying took me away from it. I would still fish occasionally but not regularly.

Fast forward to about a year and a half ago I was going through a nasty break up with my fiancé. I had a few lingering bad habits that were wreaking havoc on my life. I was at a breaking point and through a lot of praying and much introspection I made the decision to try my hardest to be a better person. I quickly found fishing again. It has been the new addiction in my life ever since!! I eat, sleep and breathe fishing! I discovered rod building this fall because it was too cold fish. I am completely obsessed with that now too. Fishing keeps me busy and occupies my mind. Idle hands are the devil's workshop applies to me 100%!! In a way fishing has saved my life, I am almost a year sober and I don't know if I could say that if it weren't for fishing.

Muddy, thank you for starting this thread and allowing us to "tell our stories".
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-10, 02:28 AM   #14
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I have always had a passion for fishing, especially for bass fishing. My dad took me a few times here and there, but I really followed my Grandpa's footsteps for fishing. My dad enjoyed the outdoors, just looking around mainly and star gazing, but I have never really been an idle person to sit around like that. I always looked foward to staying with my grandparents when we were living in Vicksburg. I knew we would be fishing when I came down for the summers and on various trips through the year. At first grandpa kept me on the end of a Zebco for years with crickets and catalpa worms. And I am glad, I might not have found the love for it as a youngin' spending long days in the boat without a catch. But I remember when I was 12 years old, I left the crickets and catalpa worms in his car and they got out. My grandpa could be a gruff man, but I loved him and he loved me, and he meant the world to me. We had moved to Columbia by then and he called and came by the house and gave me a scolding for leaving the bait in his car and they had got out. But then he handed me $50 dollars and asked my mom to take me to TG&Y and for me to pick out a rod and reel. He said the days of bait getting loose were over and if I was gonna fish with him, I was going to "big boy" fish. I remember I got a Silstar reel and an Abu rod. And I got home and spooled it up and got my aluminum pie plate and headed out in the yard with a casting plug. Oh, the backlashes were monstrous, but I stayed with it. Man, what I would do to bring back those days with him. As with some of y'all, I had a dad with addictions and other family issues, and fishing erased everything from my mind. But when my Grandpa's health got down, I sat by his bed every Sunday, and we talked fishing and just life in general. He eventually passed from health issues, but while I might have laid him to rest, the bug he put in me only grew. I think of him everytime I hit the water. While I don't fish with a Devil's Horse religiously like we always did anymore, there is not a time before I push off a dock or walk around the lake, that I don't think about him and the memories I have of us. While I never pursued a career in the sport, it is a priority in my life only behind God and my family. To some it might be a hobby, but to me, it's my passion. I appreciate everyone's story. We have led to a heart from different directions, but we all have at least one thing in common, we love to fish.
Old 02-17-10, 11:15 AM   #15
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Great stories guys.

I've been fishing since I was little. My grandma and grandpa had a boat on Lake Erie that they'd catch perch and walleye from. My dad fished all his life, from perch to bluegill to bass to salmon and steelhead.

I can remember fishing in a local trout derby for kids with my dad and sister when I was little.

It wasn't till about 3 years ago, I started getting into bass fishing. We live on 5 acres away from town with a small 1/2 acre pond in our backyard. I fished all the time, mostly for whatever would bite a nightcrawler or grass hopper. My mom worked with a guy in his mid 20's who bass fished, and recently got a yellow lab puppy. we invited him over to fish and let the dog run around in the yard.

That was the first time I had ever fish with, or even seen a baitcaster. (and my first backlash, lol). That's really what got me hooked on bass fishing. Shortly after, I found this site and bought my first baitcaster. It's been an addiction ever since.

Now my dad and I fish regularly for bass and musky. We've taken two trips to eastern Ohio for steelhead and will go for perch or bluegill occasionally.

BB
Old 02-17-10, 11:46 AM   #16
muddy

Veryy cool indeed. Pretty amazing how we all find ourselves in the same neighborhood and all took different streets to get here. This sport lends itself to diversity.
Old 02-17-10, 08:01 PM   #17
islandbass

Gosh, Muddy. That was an incredible story. I have been moved to share a story or two as a result. God bless you for sharing and you're going to have to send me some biscotti. Need something to go with my seattle double espresso shots to kick start the morning. I'd send you something equitable in exchange.
Old 02-18-10, 03:04 AM   #18
islandbass

Here is one that I had to write about.

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ghlight=senior

And a story of taking my dad fishing. I had moved around my photos and photobucket and as a result, my original post here is no longer any good so here is a link to this story from somewhere else.

http://washingtonfishing.ning.com/pr...ource=activity
Old 02-18-10, 12:30 PM   #19
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

No special story here. Fished here and there as a kid, but bass fishing really kicked into high gear for me as a kid, when we moved to a private lake. Seemed like the only time I wasn't fishing was when I was swimming, eating or sleeping.

Took several years off, but after rediscovering the sport a couple years ago, it's really all I think about anymore. At least it seems that way sometimes.

I just love being out there, with the sun shining, the peace and quiet, it's really therapy for me. When I'm on the water, I'm not thinking about my job, bills or any other of the grown up problems I seem to constantly stress about.
All I'm thinkin about is which spot is holdin a big ol bass
Old 02-18-10, 01:01 PM   #20
Jrob78

Quote:
I just love being out there, with the sun shining, the peace and quiet, it's really therapy for me. When I'm on the water, I'm not thinking about my job, bills or any other of the grown up problems I seem to constantly stress about.
All I'm thinkin about is which spot is holdin a big ol bass
Perfectly said.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-10, 10:02 PM   #21
Shocker
BassFishin.Com Member

Muddy my hat is off to you! You have obviously stared adversity in the face and yelled FISH ON!

I've been a lurker here for quite some time, but I thought what better thread to chime in on. BTW This forum is one of (if not) the best forums for helpful/knowledgeable input and advice.

This whole thread really got me thinkin' how truly blessed I am that I was brought up with such a wonderful sport as a major part of my life. I am also thankful that my little one's (4 Year Daughter and 20 month Son) are already taking a liking to fishing. Some of my fondest memories are on or around the water. I have thoughts of a thousand stories that would probably bore you all to death but suffice it to I just got off the phone with my Dad to thank him for EVERYTHING, including fishing.

What a great thread... And the timing couldn't be more perfect! This thread alone will get me through another couple of NEPA winter weeks!

Best wishes to all and hopes for a great 2010 and beyond!
Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-10, 10:39 PM   #22
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocker View Post
]Muddy my hat is off to you! You have obviously stared adversity in the face and yelled FISH ON!

I've been a lurker here for quite some time, but I thought what better thread to chime in on. BTW This forum is one of (if not) the best forums for helpful/knowledgeable input and advice.

This whole thread really got me thinkin' how truly blessed I am that I was brought up with such a wonderful sport as a major part of my life. I am also thankful that my little one's (4 Year Daughter and 20 month Son) are already taking a liking to fishing. Some of my fondest memories are on or around the water. I have thoughts of a thousand stories that would probably bore you all to death but suffice it to I just got off the phone with my Dad to thank him for EVERYTHING, including fishing.

What a great thread... And the timing couldn't be more perfect! This thread alone will get me through another couple of NEPA winter weeks!

Best wishes to all and hopes for a great 2010 and beyond!

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by MallenManson; 02-20-10 at 01:38 AM.
MallenManson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 01:08 AM   #23
bassinbob

Hey shocker welcome to another Pa'er.
Old 02-20-10, 01:50 PM   #24
Rebbasser

I started with a cane pole and nightcrawlers under a bobber with my dad. Moved up to the trusty Zebco 33. then spinning gear and on to baitcasters. My dad fished but didn''t have the obsession most of us do, but enjoyed getting out on the water. He passed back in '02 and some of my favorite memories are fishing with him. Then I got married. Fortunately for me I married a good one. She will let me fish when I want and will even go with me from time to time.

Like many, fishing is a bit of an escape for me. When I have a rod in my hands everything else just melts away. It lets me clear my mind and concentrate on just one thing. Truth be told, when I'm on the water catching a fish is a bonus. I just love being out there.
Old 02-22-10, 04:59 AM   #25
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Like many, fishing is a bit of an escape for me. When I have a rod in my hands everything else just melts away. It lets me clear my mind and concentrate on just one thing. Truth be told, when I'm on the water catching a fish is a bonus. I just love being out there.
Wow. That sums it up for me too, about clearing the mind and catching a fish is just a bonus. My last outing a few days ago was just that, but I didn't get the bonus.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.