Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-25-10, 07:14 PM   #1
hooked2132
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Powerhump?

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and was hopin you could help me out. I have been looking for a quality rod that won't break the bank to put my new pflueguer patricarch on. I have heard good things about Bass Pro Shops Extreme rods, but I'm not sure about the powerhump grip. I know it is a matter of preference pretty much, but I would still like to know opinions. Do you recomend the rod? If not, can you give me another suggestion around that price range? Thanks a bunch for your help.
hooked2132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 07:24 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome to the site hooked.
I think that you will find that there are guys (myself included) who have no issue at all with the powerhump. there will be others that absolutly hate it. My Johnny Morris rod has it and I do not see it as a good or bad thing.
As far as in that price range, I have a shimano clarus that costs the same as the extreme. I am very happy with that rod.
Is your range exactly the &70 mark or is it a range of under $100? I think that will affect some of the answers you get here.
Old 02-25-10, 07:27 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

That is a great rod EXCEPT for the hump handle-I just don't like them. Like you say, it is a matter or personal preference. If you know someone that has one ask them if you can handle it. That way you will know one way or the other.

Really, tackle is all about personal preference. In that price range just about any name brand rod will be good. My standard advice is this: Go someplace that sells rods and handle a few. That way you find the one that feels right to you, since you are the one that will be using it
Old 02-25-10, 07:29 PM   #4
Jrob78

Welcome to the forum.
I have no experience with BPS rods or rods with a powerhump grip. In the $70 range though, I really like the Team All Star line of rods. They are very sensitive and All Stars in general have become very underrated due to the company being sold. IMO they are still great rods for the money.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 07:36 PM   #5
hooked2132
BassFishin.Com Member

Good advice Rebbasser, thanks. I was planning on heading up to the bass pro here in Nashville this weekend to do just that- handle all the rods I can get my hands on. Thanks for the opinion on the All Star rods Jrob. I will definently look in to those. I will also be looking at the Shimano Clarus thanks to Cassidyta

Last edited by hooked2132; 02-25-10 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-25-10, 07:50 PM   #6
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Welcome aboard and yes I recommend the extreme. I love them.
Old 02-25-10, 08:12 PM   #7
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinNC View Post
Welcome aboard and yes I recommend the extreme. I love them.
Yes indeed. Have about 6 of them.

And WELCOME
Old 02-25-10, 09:52 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Ok, I went from not minding them to hating them (mostly as an excuse to not buy any more BPS rods), to not really minding them again. Overall, I've found the BPS rods on par with similarly prices rods. They are sensitive, but aren't the best balanced rods out there.

My biggest complaint with the powerhump grips isn't the actualy hump, but the foregrip. I find it too big around to comfortably palm my reels. This is a problem I don't have with rods that have the top of the reel seat in front of the rod, whereas the BPS rods (the ones with foregrips anyways) have the cork covering the hood of the reel seat.

For the record, I've never used the Extreme rods, but I have used the Pro Qualifiers and Johnny Morris Signature rods. So all this is based up those two rods (and the couple year old models too).

BB
Old 02-26-10, 09:08 AM   #9
Bassboss

The power hump I don't mind, but around that range, I think you should get an Abu Garcia Vendetta, or a new BPS carbon Lite rod, they feel real nice and I've read some great reviews of them online.
Old 02-27-10, 01:04 PM   #10
Raul

I hate the power hump.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-10, 02:19 PM   #11
keithdog

I have two Exteme rods and I reaaly like them. I have no issues with the power hump at all. I know some hate the hump, but it feels fine in my hand. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another. But another rod I'd recommend would be a Shimano Clarus rod. It's priced at the $70.00 range and is a very good rod with a lifetime warrenty.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 12:35 PM   #12
hooked2132
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm definently going to have to look in to the Shimano. That has been quite a few people that have recomended it across this site. Thanks guys keep the suggestions coming.
Old 02-28-10, 12:36 PM   #13
hooked2132
BassFishin.Com Member

Anyone know anything about the Browning rods? I'm just curious, trying to keep an open mind to lots of possibilities.
Old 02-28-10, 02:06 PM   #14
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Browning is more about hunting than fishing stuff. Most of their fishing stuff is in no way as good or better than your good companies : Shimano, Abu Garcia, Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, Fenwick, Falcon, etc.

For the power-hump, I don't own one, but I have used one of my friends' "Bionic Blade". It is awesome! I love the power-hump! The next rod I buy is going to be a BPS rod with a power-hump. I like how their grips aren't SUPER long like the normal straight cork ones are. I prefer a shorter handle, not a big one that get's in the way. His shorter Bionic Blade had a short handle, I'm not sure about the longer rods, though.

1.) St. Croix's "Mojo bass" rod is great, it's black with a little bit of dark purple which sets it aside from most rods. Very sensitive, with a split-grip handle. I don't really like the split-grips but a lot of people do. These are $90 and you should really look into them.

2.) Abu Garcia's "Vendetta" rod is also a great choice, it is red and black, and also has a split-grip. These are about $80 and I know a few people on here like them well. I've never used an ABU rod, though.

3.) Falcon's original rod is a good all-around rod. Nothing fancy, just plain. Some people like plain rods. These are MADE IN THE USA!!! Nice straight cork-handle, also.

4.) Bass Pro Shop's "Carbon Lite" rod. These are good looking, extremely light, black rods with a split-grip handle. Consider this one, as well.
Old 02-28-10, 02:36 PM   #15
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwater Charlie View Post
Browning is more about hunting than fishing stuff. Most of their fishing stuff is in no way as good or better than your good companies : Shimano, Abu Garcia, Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, Fenwick, Falcon, etc.

For the power-hump, I don't own one, but I have used one of my friends' "Bionic Blade". It is awesome! I love the power-hump! The next rod I buy is going to be a BPS rod with a power-hump. I like how their grips aren't SUPER long like the normal straight cork ones are. I prefer a shorter handle, not a big one that get's in the way. His shorter Bionic Blade had a short handle, I'm not sure about the longer rods, though.

1.) St. Croix's "Mojo bass" rod is great, it's black with a little bit of dark purple which sets it aside from most rods. Very sensitive, with a split-grip handle. I don't really like the split-grips but a lot of people do. These are $90 and you should really look into them.

2.) Abu Garcia's "Vendetta" rod is also a great choice, it is red and black, and also has a split-grip. These are about $80 and I know a few people on here like them well. I've never used an ABU rod, though.

3.) Falcon's original rod is a good all-around rod. Nothing fancy, just plain. Some people like plain rods. These are MADE IN THE USA!!! Nice straight cork-handle, also.

4.) Bass Pro Shop's "Carbon Lite" rod. These are good looking, extremely light, black rods with a split-grip handle. Consider this one, as well.
Good advice here. These are the best rod IMO in that price range.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 07:19 PM   #16
hooked2132
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys. I went to bass pro today and bought my combo- pflueguer patriarch baitcast reel and an Extrme rod 6'6" Medium power and fast tip. I just put it all together gettin ready to head out to the water... Thanks for all the advice.
Old 03-01-10, 12:17 AM   #17
keithdog

Your gonna love it hooked. Congrats!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 12:22 AM   #18
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked2132 View Post
Thanks guys. I went to bass pro today and bought my combo- pflueguer patriarch baitcast reel and an Extrme rod 6'6" Medium power and fast tip. I just put it all together gettin ready to head out to the water... Thanks for all the advice.

Do you fish Cheatham lake by any chance? Or I guess I should ask. Do you fish the Cumberland running through Nashville?
Old 03-01-10, 06:35 PM   #19
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I used to have a BPS rod with a power hump. It didn't feel right so I shaved it off and put a wrap of hockey tape over it.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-10, 12:07 AM   #20
hooked2132
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
Do you fish Cheatham lake by any chance? Or I guess I should ask. Do you fish the Cumberland running through Nashville?
I live on Old Hickory Lake, so I guess yes I do fish the Cumberland River, just dammed up.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.