Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-10, 11:06 AM   #1
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Choose Just One Rod

A few days ago I watched a video that included a segment featuring Rick Clunn. In that segment, he said that we should find one rod we like, and buy as many of that rod as required to satisfy our fishing needs vs buying many different "specialized" rods. His reasoning, basically, was that it takes a lot of time & energy to transition from one type rod to another, thus, not being on top of your game during this transition. I think there may be something to that. Back in "the day", that's how things were done. You had a favorite rod & reel that you had 4 or 5 of in the boat. You really got to know that equipment & could detect the slightest strike, regardless of the lure you were fishing. Are we victims of a marketing strategy to sell more rods & reels? Without a doubt. Would we be more successful doing what Clunn suggests? Hmmm...What do you guys think?
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-10, 11:51 AM   #2
JerseyFisher

I think that in some situations, depending where you fish, having a variety of different rods is necessary. Where I do most of my fishing is clear, deep, water for smallmouths. I'm mainly using drop shots, crank and jerkbaits. Here it is necessary to have different rods, I can't throw a crank on my ML ds spinning rod, and I wouldn't have the much needed sensitivity on my casting rod that I use for crankbaits.
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-10, 01:06 PM   #3
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thats funny, i have thought of this before. My Dad has used 5'6" pistol grip Medium action rods his whole life... with 4600 reels and 6ish:1 retrieve... he has 1 spinning rig he only uses for crappie, and 1 flippin stick that hasnt seen daylight in 20 years...so haveing 1 rod setup would be sweet... for me it would be a 6'6" MH/Fast tip rod with a 6ish:1 ratio... i have caught fish on this rod... even on treble hooks without losin em... i do think with this setup i would go mono... the stretch lets the fish have a little wiggle room on the trebles...

Now imagine you had 6 identical rods like this... mono, flouro, and braid in different tests can compensate a lot for the rod..

but he can fish t-rig, shakey head, cranks, lipless cranks, spinners, topwater... all very effectively from that rig... what amazes me is how far he can throw a bait on such a short rod...

i used to fish this type rod too... now i find myself wanting all these speciaty rods... when i should just learn to fish with what i have...

BUt I have come down to a 6 rod system tha I think will work

1 7'6' Heavy/Fast, 50lb braid, 6.3:1...for flippin, pitchin, and froggin
2 6'6" MH/Fast, 6.3:1 12lb Flouro... I feel I can do about anything on this setup...
1 7'0" M/moderate, 6.1:1 12lb flouro... A crankin Stick...
1 5'6" Medium, 6.1:1 12lb mono... top water rig... but also can do shallow cranks and stuff as well...
1 7'0" Medium, spinning rig with 8lb flouro... worming, shakey head, drop shot... and crappie fishing...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-10, 01:18 PM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think that he's pretty much right. you can, use one type of rod for everything, meaning same length, action, tip, etc. But I do definitely think that it helps your fishing! Imagine fishing spinnerbaits with a 6'6" med. action rod, with 15lb mono. Not with same rod and line. Use that for bombing into mats with 1.5oz tungsten weight! It's not gonna happen!!

But if I did have one rod for pretty much everything (which I do, aside from a spinning rod and a cranking rod, I just fish 3 or 4 techniques more than others). I'd would have to me a 7' MH action rod. And if you care to know, that rod would be a g.loomis GLX! Never used it, but it's a glx, what more do you need to know!
Old 06-10-10, 02:05 PM   #5
JigNgrub1997
BassFishin.Com Member

I could do all of my Bass fishing with one rod... As I only throw smaller plastic worms (4"-6" Texas rigged), 5" weightless senko's, 1/8oz-1/6oz rooster tails, and 2"-3" grubs rigged on 1/8oz jig-heads, I could use a 6'6" Medium rod and a good spinning reel about the size of a 6730 Pflueger President.

I think if it were my way I'd have a 6730 Pflueger President on a 6'6" graphite rod, probably a Bass Pro rod either the Bionic Blade on-sale or the Tourney Special, and 8lb Trilene XL monofilament.
JigNgrub1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-10, 02:32 PM   #6
Raul

I donīt purchase technique/lure specific rods, all my bass rods are from ML to H power, from those the ones I fish the most are MH so if I were to choose 1 rod for everything that would be a MH rod. Which one ? GLoomis CR723 IMX.

Would you be more succesful ? no I donīt think you would, sucess & consistency is something you acquire by knowledge & practice, which ultimately will become skill, skill is what makes you sucessful, not with what you fish.

Success is something thatīs in between your ears and not in between the folds of your wallet.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-10, 03:09 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't think using the same rod for everything would help you that much. Rick Clunn uses all BPS Rick Clunn 7' H baitcasting rod. I'd like to see Clunn throw an 1/8 or 3/16oz dropshot rig on a 7' H baitcasting rod. I don't think that the transition time really makes a big difference.

I much prefer to match my rods to the technique I'm fishing.

However, if I had to use one rod, It's be a 7', MH, F.

BB
Old 06-10-10, 04:23 PM   #8
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

ONE ROD= 6'6 Medium GRANDT GOLDEN SUPREME SERIES-- These are the two best rods I own and would love a boat full of them!
Old 06-10-10, 04:57 PM   #9
Jim80

I would choose a 7' m/h fast action if I could only take one rod out .

jim
Old 06-10-10, 06:02 PM   #10
bassinbob

Kistler 7ft mh fast LTA would be my choice. I feel it would cover my favorite fishing methods.
Old 06-10-10, 07:10 PM   #11
keithdog

I have heard Rick talk about this before, and while I think his arument has it's good points, I simply don't think it is as advantagious as having the proper setup for varrying types of baits. I would say that many of us, myself included probably feel the "need" for more equipment than we really have to have. Ricks advice sure would make life simpler, thats for sure.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-10, 07:53 AM   #12
walkeraviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I have heard Rick talk about this before, and while I think his arument has it's good points, I simply don't think it is as advantagious as having the proper setup for varrying types of baits. I would say that many of us, myself included probably feel the "need" for more equipment than we really have to have. Ricks advice sure would make life simpler, thats for sure.

and cheaper....
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-10, 09:01 AM   #13
BigBassin144

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
and cheaper....
Simpler, yes. Cheaper, no.

Rick Clunn isn't advising everyone to use one rod as opposed to like 8 or 9 rods. He says the 8 or 9 rods is good, they should just be all the same rod.

BB
Old 06-11-10, 09:35 AM   #14
DaveW731

Default Somewhere in between....

I also can't imagine being able to use all the types of baits I use on any given trip with the same pole. Is it possible he is referrring to one style and brand, but various actions, to accommodate different size baits and conditions?
I like to use 4 poles, each one is a different make and has a different style reel. Also use mono, flouro and braids on the same trip.
I "transition" from my Heavy action Scum frog pole to my MH action crankbait/spinnerbait/open water surface bait pole in about two casts. Or to my M worm/senko/jig pole. If I toss in a ML spinning pole it may take 3 casts, if I have spent a long time using the H baitcast rig. Muscle memory kicks in pretty quick.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-10, 10:43 AM   #15
nofearengineer

I'm sure Rick Clunn has caught a thousand time more bass in his sleep than I will ever see, but I have to totally disagree with him.

I live by the motto "the right tool for the job".

Can you get by with a bunch of the same rod? Sure, but why do it if you don't have to? I really doubt anybody is that "in tune" with a particular rod that they have to adjust to a different rod. Bass fishing isn't brain surgery. Take it from someone who unfortunately does it all the time...ol' Rick is over-thinking it.
Old 06-11-10, 11:16 AM   #16
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW731 View Post
I also can't imagine being able to use all the types of baits I use on any given trip with the same pole. Is it possible he is referrring to one style and brand, but various actions, to accommodate different size baits and conditions?]
Nope, he does mean using a bunch of the same rod. He uses all 7' H power rods. I believe he uses the same line as well.

BB
Old 06-11-10, 01:25 PM   #17
DaveW731

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Nope, he does mean using a bunch of the same rod. He uses all 7' H power rods. I believe he uses the same line as well.

BB
Does he ever throw anything 1/4oz or smaller? If he does, he is truly a Zen casting master.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-10, 01:59 PM   #18
bassboogieman

I could probably get away with one rod for just about every application - if I had to, but I don't. There are obvious advantages to different actions & powers. I do subscribe to basically the same (casting) rod for bait types - ie: I use MH/F rods for all plastics. I use H/F rods for jigs & frogs. M/M for treble baits. I also stay within brand and model for abour 90% of my fishing (exceptions due to a specific length or power rod is unavailable in a model). I also carry M/F & MH/F spinning rods for lighter lures or specialized presentations for which they are better suited. My reels are generally the same across similiar presentations also. Can you say ANAL?
And just for speculation: If I was limited to ONE rod it would be a Kistler LTX in 6'9" MH. I could make that work for just about everything (with the possible exception of finesse fishing), it's the most versitle rod in the Kistler lineup (IMO).
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-10, 02:18 PM   #19
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
If I was limited to ONE rod it would be a Kistler LTX in 6'9" MH. I could make that work for just about everything (with the possible exception of finesse fishing), it's the most versitle rod in the Kistler lineup (IMO).
I'm sorry, I would have to have TWO of the 6'9" MH LTX....oh wait, I already do.
Old 06-11-10, 02:21 PM   #20
zooker

[QUOTE=nofearengineer;301219]

I live by the motto "the right tool for the job".

amen brotha

QUOTE]

Quote:
I have heard Rick talk about this before
he has said this at least three times in the last 5 years...broken record give it a rest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW731 View Post
he is truly a Zen casting master.
nope he is a complete idiot..

yes you CAN have a boat load of the same rods, same reels, same line..you CAN have a $50,000 boat with all the goodies. and ya still could not catch a fish if ya fell in with a cast net...i know more than a few poeple who are like this...

zooker
Old 06-11-10, 02:50 PM   #21
Rebbasser

Could you? Absolutely. I also think it would make fishing less enjoyable. I can see using the same brand of rod and reel. I was once in a BPS talking to one of the reel guys who made a good point. He said using the same type reel makes it easier since you don't need to adjust which makes sense-you know what the reels will feel like. But rods? I don't use technique specific rods for the most part-I do have a couple-but I do tend to match the rod to the application. For example, if it has treble hooks it gets thrown on a M action rod. A single hook bait gets thrown on a MH or H action rod.

I never have been a fan of Rick Clunn. Met him about 25 years ago and he came across as an arrogant jerk.
Old 06-11-10, 08:42 PM   #22
tim4081

The way I look at it is whether you have 2 or 3 rods or a dozen or more, you're going to use them enough to get used to them and there really shouldn't be any "adjustment" time. I know my equipment well enough to know how each set up casts/retrieves/feels etc so I see no advantage to using the same rod for every technique. Even if there is such a thing as an "adjustment" period when switching rods, the pros of doing so (matching power/action to the technique, fishability, castability etc.) would far out weigh the cons IMHO.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.