Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 4.54 average. Display Modes
Old 12-06-11, 08:29 PM   #1
LeBron_Hill
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Best rod for throwing the Alabama rig...

I finally got my alabama rig in the mail yesterday. After using one with a buddy last weekend, they have made a believer out of me. I am going to have to purchase a new rod and reel to fish this thing on. I was told to use 65 lb braided line and a long, heavy action rod. Just wondering what most people are using for this particular rig. I would like to keep the rod to around the $150 range if possible. Any suggestions? I have also been looking @ Dicks sporting goods at the Quantum Tour Edition PT's that are on sale for $129.99. Thinking of picking one of those up to put on the rod but they are only offering the 100 series so I dont know how well that would work with braided line...what do you guys think? Thanks in advance.
LeBron_Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-11, 10:46 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've never thrown an Alabama rig but I would recommend going with a swimbait specific rod. If you're fishing 5 or 6 baits that weigh a half ounce each, plus the weight that is on the head of the bait, you're looking at 2oz+. Swimbait rods are made to lob heavy swimbaits, their actions are suited for that kind of casting. Powell, Okuma, Shimano and probably others make affordable swimbait rods designed for baits in the 2-6oz range. That's what I would be looking for.

I would also probably be looking for a bigger reel that will hold more line. I would probably look for a Curado 300 or a Revo Toro or even a round reel. If you decide you don't like braid and want to use mono, you will need a reel that can hold a decent amount of 20 lb line.

I'm no expert and like I said, I've never fished an A-rig but that's the route I would take. You would also have a good set up for throwing big swimbaits if you chose to.
Old 12-07-11, 08:49 PM   #3
LeBron_Hill

Default rods

Ok here are the ones that i have narrowed it down to...They are all very similar in pricing. I currently own one of the Boyd Duckett micro guide rods and I absolutely love it but i have been hearing alot about the Powell and Dobyns rods...looking for your opinions on these rods.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Dobyn...page-DSVC.html
Dobyns Savvy Cast Rod 7'6" Heavy Flip 766

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Ducke...page-DMCA.html
Duckett Micro Split Grip Cast Rod 7'10" Extra Hvy

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Powel...page-PSBR.html
Powell Swimbait Rod 7'11" Heavy 711SBRH
Old 12-07-11, 10:12 PM   #4
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

As far as flipping rods go...I'd stay away, and agree with Jrob, the swimbait rod would be the way to go, thus the Powell, but there are a lot of good ones out there. From personal experience of throwing "big" swimbaits with a flipping rod, it wears you down.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 10:13 PM   #5
aikenyounggun

I have a 7 ft duckett for finesse jigs and small swimbaits (mh) and love the rod, super light and sensitive. But it has a soft tip, which I like but not sure about the bigger rod, haven't held one. Great rods though, but when you lob that rig its a lot of weight, so might be a negative.

Never fished with the other two, so no insight on those. Might want to ask someone who has fished that length of duckett how the tip was
Old 12-07-11, 11:18 PM   #6
Jrob78

Out of those you have listed, I would go with the Powell, the other 2 are flipping sticks. Here are a few other you might look at.

iRod Genesis Series Cast Rod 7'8" Jr. Swimbait
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/iROD_...page-IRGC.html

Okuma Big Bait Rod 7'11" Heavy
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Okuma...ge-OGSBBR.html

Shimano Crucial Swimbait Cast Rod 7'11" Med Hvy
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shima...page-SCSW.html

Loomis Big Bait GL2 Casting 964 8' Hvy
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/G_Loo...e-GLBG2CR.html
Old 12-08-11, 08:07 PM   #7
LeBron_Hill

that loomis catches my eye but my god...a 24" handle...what would be the benefit of that and would it be comfortable to fish with...i dont own anything like that but since you are exactly the man i need to talk to, what would be the benefit of a handle that length?
Old 12-08-11, 08:38 PM   #8
Jrob78

The 24" handle is from the butt to the end of the foregrip, so that number is a little deceiving. When people fish big heavy baits like that, they often tuck the rod butt under their arm and hold the foregrip. I think that is a more comfortable way to fish those heavy baits all day.
Old 12-08-11, 08:40 PM   #9
LeBron_Hill

Jrob78...i know you build your own rods but if you were to pick one of those rods listed by either one of us to use for the alabama rig, which one would you pick and why? Also are these rods 1 piece rods or 2? should there be a preference?
Old 12-08-11, 08:56 PM   #10
Jrob78

That's a hard question to answer, just because I think they're all probably good rods. Best I can tell, they are all 1 piece. I would personally always get a 1 piece unless you absolutely need the space, in which case I would try to get a telescopic rod.

Anyway, If it were me, I would probably be looking hard at the Loomis, it is 8' long, on sale and...it's a Loomis. Loomis rods have that reputation for a reason. It also is rated for 1-6oz, that should cover everything from A-Rigs to a wide range of swimbaits.

I am also a fan of Powell rods, I own one that I love and they also have a good reputation. The thing that concerns me about it is the weight range. It seems like it is truly meant for the heavy weights, it might not be as versatile as the Loomis. I like both of these because they have foregrips. That's the main thing that would keep me from the Crucial. Most everyone who fishes big baits likes a foregrip on their rod.

I think any of them would serve you well but the Loomis would be really hard for me to pass up.

I should also add that I haven't quite taken the plunge into big swimbaits. I have the blank and the stuff to build the rod but I haven't done it yet. Take my advice for what it's worth, I'm no expert in swimbaiting/heavy bait fishing.

Last edited by Jrob78; 12-08-11 at 09:11 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-11, 09:19 PM   #11
LeBron_Hill

thats what i was thinking as well...I mean it IS a Loomis...kinda hard to pass that one up...just worried a bit about the long handle and foregrip but now that you mention it, after some days of deep cranking with my Skeet Reese cranking rod my entire side hurts the next day from the butt of the rod poking me in my side all day long so i genuinely can see where the long handle would benefit...im gonna do some thinking but i believe we are on the same page...looks like most of all the swimbait rods have those long handles. You think i could still use this rod as maybe a frog rod if I ever needed to?
Old 12-08-11, 09:25 PM   #12
Jrob78

I think it would definitely take some getting used to. The longer handle will require a slightly different approach and grip. The rod is rated at 1oz on the low end, I'm sure it could be used for other things. I think the length of the handle and how comfortable you are fishing with it will be the deciding factor on what other techniques you can use it for.

I would estimate that the grip is probably somewhere in the 15"-16" range from the butt to the start of the reel seat.
Old 12-08-11, 09:44 PM   #13
LeBron_Hill

yeah that is what i was thinking but the powell shows to measure 20.5" as well....but it looks like the main difference in those length measurements is the foregrip...looks like the loomis has the extra 3.5" in the foregrip...ima go measure it against some of my other rods to determine the actual length
Old 12-08-11, 09:58 PM   #14
lilmule

Hmmm think it has different requirements if one uses sliderhead or jigheads to attach the lures,Im using just a horny toad screw lock hook,the head itself being of weight along with the wire and have a 3 rig legal for Tennessee.Just about any flipping stick would work currently using my kistler heavy action frog rod.40 pd red cajin braid.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-11, 09:58 PM   #15
Dogmatic

May I suggest a decent rod that fits the bill, and is cheaper(if you shop on Ebay) then those selected...
http://www.landbigfish.com/showcase.cfm?PID=5513

$50+$20 shipping on Ebay, and they are nice rods.
Old 12-08-11, 10:05 PM   #16
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
May I suggest a decent rod that fits the bill, and is cheaper(if you shop on Ebay) then those selected...
http://www.landbigfish.com/showcase.cfm?PID=5513

$50+$20 shipping on Ebay, and they are nice rods.
That would definitely help out with handle length issue too. Matt knows his stuff and I'm sure his rods are great. Here's the TT review.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewmattluresrods.html
Old 12-08-11, 10:13 PM   #17
Dogmatic

Just one problem, while lurking on another site, I found out that Reaction Strike(the producer of the rods) scr*wed Matt out of his royalties for the rods, although he still stands by the rods themselves. Matt is a good guy, and great asset to the fishing community, so if this is something that concerns you, you might want to consider this before purchasing a rod from them.
Old 12-08-11, 10:15 PM   #18
LeBron_Hill

dont all Loomis rods come with a lifetime warranty as well? Thought i had read that somewhere before...that telescoping rod is a neat concept but dont know how well it might hold up in the long run...and i mean that in the least insulting way possible. The way i got it figured, the alabama rig fully rigged with 5-3/16 oz jigheads and swimbaits should weigh around 2-2.5 oz.
Old 12-09-11, 09:22 AM   #19
Dogmatic

The Mattlure rod is solid, have two(H & XH), and have had no problem with the handles.FYI.
Old 12-09-11, 07:31 PM   #20
LeBron_Hill

hmmm...i thought it said it had a telescopic handle...my mistake. I think i am leaning towards the Loomis, just trying to find the warranty on them
Old 12-09-11, 08:01 PM   #21
LeBron_Hill

damnit...guess i waited too long to decide...pulled up tackle warehouse to order the rod and the price has gone back up to $190
Old 12-09-11, 08:21 PM   #22
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron_Hill View Post
damnit...guess i waited too long to decide...pulled up tackle warehouse to order the rod and the price has gone back up to $190
Are you talking about the "Loomis Big Bait GL2 Casting 964 8' Hvy rod?" If so, I see Cabela's has some of their "G.Loomis GL2 Casting Rods" on sale, although I don't see the one you're after. They do have a note, though, on the page I linked to above that says, "Cabela's Special Product Department is available to special order any G.Loomis rod that Cabela's does not offer on our web site, catalog or retail stores. Call 1-800-237-8888 for more details.", just in case that's worth anything to you. Maybe this isn't even the rod you're referring to, or maybe the rods at Cabela's are somehow different, in which case you can just ignore all my rambling. . .
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-11, 08:28 PM   #23
LeBron_Hill

yeah thats the rod...it was on closeout @ tacklewarehouse for $139 yesterday...i got paid today and was gonna order it tonight. When i pulled it up on there website it had it for $190 now and i called em. They said they got another shipment so they went back to regular price and they wouldnt sell me one for the price it was yesterday...kinda sucks to be honest...
Old 12-09-11, 08:31 PM   #24
WatterBoy

Sorry, man. That really stinks!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-11, 08:35 PM   #25
Jrob78

That sucks dude.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.