Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-05, 12:05 PM   #1
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default "You got bass in these pay lakes!??"

Hey there fellers! Don't know how the whole deal is where you guys are, but here in Kentucky, we have Pay Lakes that are usually just filled with mega catfish. You pay 5-10 bucks, depending on the lake" and if you catch a tag fish, you win money, if not, you paid to catch fish and have fun. Went to a place yesterday morning that has 7 different lakes, varying in sizes, and our plan was to catfish. Started off doing that, but I kept staring at the lake above me, checkin out the cover and such until finally I broke down and HAD to go bass fishing in it. Motivating factors were that my dad told me I couldn't catch a bass there, and I wanted to prove to him they had big bass in those lakes and they weren't just eaten by catfish. So I grabbed a 5'6" LIGHT action pole with 10lb test line..a zebco 33 reel and a Zebco Z-Glass pole to be exact, and went to work.

I go up, and the lake is great..its got a ton of stumps in it, but the weather wasn't all that nice. Drizzling rain constantly, grey skies(the only bonus), and moderately windy. I took a big ole T-2 spinnerbait with a 4.5 colorado on it, white skirt, chartreuse head, and on the 3rd cast through the stumps..WHAM! Oh crap, i'm freakin hung......no...wait.....I'm moving, ohhhhhh da** MY SNAG IS MOVING TO THE LEFT!!! THIS IS A FISH!...finally got the fish in, it was a chunk...good 7lb 4oz fish..my new personal best. I'm pretty lucky to have caught it...the pole had NO hooksetting power whatsoever and neither did the line. I could hardly feel a thing it was so insensitive, but that one catch made my day.

Next time you visit a pay lake, ask them what kind of fish they have in them, and if theres bass, I say you should at least try to catch one or two!
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.