Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-08, 03:02 PM   #1
Snake2715
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Water Boils or bubbles what do they suggest?

So I have a question on this.

I over the last weekend hooked into a larger musky at least 3ft long and possibly a bit more. I posted about it in another thread.

I have since returned to the spot and fished for him. Now the question is the day I hooked up (07/25) I noticed bubbles or boils come to the top of the surface. When I noticed the bubbles it was shortly before I caught the musky... I mean within seconds. I mentally figured he was turning to catch my jig and on the next cast I hooked up.

Then Monday 07/28 I noticed a small set of bubbles come up in the same pattern, it was shortly after I thought I had a bit on the jig (I am new to fishing a jig).

Nothing ever turned up on Monday. But the question is haunting me. Does this signify movement of a potentially larger fish at or near the bottom?

When I was little I was always told it might be a carp or turtle moving around down on the bottom.

Anyone have their opinions or thoughts?
Old 07-30-08, 03:04 PM   #2
Bmuskin

I was thinking turtle. I saw the same thing the other night followed by little turtle heads poking up.
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 03:16 PM   #3
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Most of the time it is turtles. However, there is a creek that we fish and the bubbles we see there are usually caused by methane gas from the creek bed.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 03:23 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i bet it is jimmy hoffa hollering for help haha. seriously it could be a lot of things, turtles for one. it could be something like a log or rock settling on the bottom. i guess it could be caused by disturbance from a big fish moving or turning on the bottom but i never really thought about it like that.
Old 07-30-08, 03:27 PM   #5
Snake2715

Yeah i am alomost positive that that musky caused it this past friday. I had a hit and missed the set. It felt like I hit bottom, although I know I wasnt on the bottom. The bubbles rose as I was casting my next cast to the area. Then on the way past the area bam fish on and a quick hard hookset.

I will say I was excited Monday when I seen the bubbles, but as I mentioned nothing. Now I am just sitting here thinking what if's.
Old 07-30-08, 04:33 PM   #6
3dkicker

Small bubbles coming up from the bottom??? Fish farts......
Old 07-30-08, 04:36 PM   #7
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Too funny.
Old 07-30-08, 04:39 PM   #8
cassidyta

Depending on the bottom of your pond, your jig will cause the bubbles. The methane is created through the waste and decompossing items on the bottom. These gases form pockets that push up against things like sediment and algae. You jig could easily burst these pockets. Since methane is a mixture of carbon and hydrogen (CH4) it is heavier than the water and does not rise all that fast. This could explain why the bubbles did not surface until you were ready for your next cast.
Of course, it may also be turtles as others have said, or your musky stirring up the bottom.
Old 07-30-08, 06:04 PM   #9
islandbass

It could also be the release of gas from the bottom. On some places where I fish where the water is clear, I can see bubbles rising to the surface from the bottom with nary a creature in sight, and turtles can be ruled out.
Old 07-31-08, 09:20 AM   #10
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I would not fish there if I were you. I don’t think it’s fish farting and I don’t believe it is turtle burping, I believe you are setting on top of an underwater Mt. peak, an active Volcano spewing out gasses getting ready to erupt. Let’s hope I’m wrong on this one. Just my opinion.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 09:37 AM   #11
JB

the air released from his tank hits those bushy eyebrows and go to the top rofl

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 10:27 AM   #12
Abbeysdad

I used to love Sea Hunt and good ole Lloyd Bridges (father of two Bridges boys)
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 11:01 AM   #13
JB

remember him as the old strong guy on a seinfeld episode?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 12:10 PM   #14
Bmuskin

Saturday morning I went to a 35 acre lake. Hike in only. I saw bubbles everywhere on a back arm of the lake. I crawled around and saw the source of these. CARP!! there were river carp everywhere plowing through the muck and causing bubbles everywhere.
Old 08-04-08, 02:14 PM   #15
Abbeysdad

In my youth I remember a day I was fishing in the east branch of the Tioughnioga River. I hooked one carp after another - I didn't put much value in catching carp, but tanks that they are, these 5-8 lb. fish sure can put up a fight. Best time playing a fish (and you had to to keep them from breaking away) I've ever had. For the thrill of the catch, these fish can earn respect real quick.
Old 08-04-08, 03:06 PM   #16
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
In my youth I remember a day I was fishing in the east branch of the Tioughnioga River. I hooked one carp after another - I didn't put much value in catching carp, but tanks that they are, these 5-8 lb. fish sure can put up a fight. Best time playing a fish (and you had to to keep them from breaking away) I've ever had. For the thrill of the catch, these fish can earn respect real quick.
What did you use for bait? I see these long 24 to 36 inch carp in many neighborhood retention ponds but they do not go after any bait (that I know of). I think they are grass carp and are meant to maintain the lakes. I just want to hook into one and catch it because they do look like fighters. I will throw it back once caught though.
Old 08-04-08, 03:51 PM   #17
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Five posts before you dropped the "bomb" on it! My, My MY! you guys are getting slow!

If you were in shallow water my guess would be the Musky's tail stirred up the bottom, thereby releasing methane gas just before nailing your offering. Same thing with the carp in the back of the lake in a later post. Those carp are rooting around eating beggies and scavenging whatever else is on the bottom and releasing the trapped methane gas. Big catfish often do the same thing when they are roaming around a soft bottom lake or river. Beaver and turtles release air bubbles as they slowly expell the last breath they took before diving.
Old 08-04-08, 04:11 PM   #18
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
What did you use for bait? I see these long 24 to 36 inch carp in many neighborhood retention ponds but they do not go after any bait (that I know of). I think they are grass carp and are meant to maintain the lakes. I just want to hook into one and catch it because they do look like fighters. I will throw it back once caught though.
I was using live bait - nightcrawlers on a #6 (or maybe #8) snelled hook. The hook was 8" or so above a fixed sinker and I cast upstream and let it drift down (the sinker slowed the drift in the current). Nearly every cast got a hit about the place where the line would cause it to pull back across the river (so as it was about straight across or just slightly down river).
I dunno about grass carp, but these bad boys sure sucked up the nightcrawlers. On different days, I caught a fair number of trout using this same method - but they were just stockers with little fight in them and nothing to brag about.

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 08-04-08 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-05-08, 09:59 AM   #19
Snake2715

I forget what the particular item is called, but its like a small teardrop shape and hollow. Its probably about the size of a grape and it has two hooks inside of it. You can fill it with scent. I have seen a few carp caught using only this setup.
Old 08-05-08, 11:18 AM   #20
Bmuskin

Everyone says Strawberry, soda, pop, jello whatever mixed with wheaties, corn meal, flour is supposed to be the best for carp there is a website called carp busters that will give some detail. I have not been carp fishing in a long time. They are fun.
I have heard that grass carp will feed on blades of grass when they mow or weedeat around a pond. I have never personally seen this, but if it does happen that is a fly rod moment waiting for action.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.