Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-08-09, 02:38 PM   #1
dtyukody
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Fishing HEAVY cover

Here's the situation. My lake (Hogback in Angola IN) gets LOTS of heavy cover thru the season. I haven't yet been on the lake in the spring but by June there are places where boats can't even go cause the lilly pads are so thick. I want to fish into those areas this year and am trying to figure out what the rod and line set up should be.

I'm thinking of Fireline with a flourocarbon lead. I will be using a 6' BPS XPS medium action spinning combo. Reel has a 5.3:1 ratio.

I'd appreciate comments, thoughts and suggestions.
Old 01-08-09, 02:44 PM   #2
supermat
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm not sure what caliber of fish you're dealing with. If you're playing with smaller fish that setup will probably work out just fine. Out here when we go into heavy cover there is always the legitimate opportunity for a BIG fish so under similar circumstances I go to an 8' rod with 80lb braid and I tie it direct. Sounds crazy but under all that cover they're still willing to bite and if you get the hookset, its all over. Again, there is the legitimate possibility of a BIG bass out here so you have to be prepared for it. I'm not sure what size fish you're dealing with.
supermat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 02:44 PM   #3
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

For the big nasty stuff like what you're describing, I'd go with a long heavy or xtra heavy action rod, probably 7' minimum. 7'6" might be better. I don't know that I'd use a spinning reel, but if that's what you have, that's what you fish with. Strong braided line is a must, you'll see most guys on here recommend either Power Pro or Sufix, both are good quality lines. Maybe 50# test, or even more, since visibility won't really be an issue. I'd forgo the leader, too.

I'm really thinking your setup is going to be underpowered for the slop you're wanting to fish. You might find that you can't pull the fish out of the forest with a medium action rod, there's just not enough backbone in it. I think you'd be better off with a heavier rod and a good baitcaster with a higher gear ratio.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 02:52 PM   #4
cassidyta

I would agree that the rod and reel are not ideal for that envionment. I don't believe you will have enough backbone nor gear ratio to get them to the top and pull them through it.
In that much cover, I wouldn't worry about the leader at all.
Are you looking to force a heave weight through the pads, or to brings something like a frog across the top?
Old 01-08-09, 03:05 PM   #5
dtyukody
BassFishin.Com Member

My first thought is to use frogs and bring them to the top. But I am willing to consider getting thru the stuff too. Suggestions about that would help. Thanks
Old 01-08-09, 03:34 PM   #6
cassidyta

Frogs are one of my favorate baits and in the situation you described, it is possibly all I would throw. Even bringing them to the top will take some strong gear. They are going to dive as soon as you set the hook and will bring quite a bit of pads with them.
If the rod combo you described is th eone you are going to be using, then don't go too overboard with the braid. I have seen many rods snapped and drags stripped because the braid just would not break.
You would need a heavy jig to punch through what you described.
Old 01-08-09, 03:51 PM   #7
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd hunt for the edges of those weedlines and fish it anyway you want. Other than that I'd frog it..
Most of the time when I fish Brookville you hardly ever see any vegetation growing on top or in abundance, I'm sure you'll find fish on either the inside edge of the weedline or outside edge..
If you see any holes in the matt try dropping a worm or jig in them, the fish could be there!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 04:04 PM   #8
doc

I fish a place similar to what your describing. I throw spro frogs and pitch heavy jigs.
I get away fishing a 7 ft med/heavy rod and 30lb braid. The rod might be a little light but so far it has done well, as far as the braid goes it may be a little light also, but the smaller pound test throws frogs better, and ensures I dont snap a rod or strip a reel.

*tip in the springtime be sure to look in the pads for spawning fish, you would be suprised how many set up in them for the cover. In the post-spawn I love, and I mean love to pull up in the junk and just wait and watch with a spro frog handy. Where we fish you can spot the "big uns" in the water by following the movement of the pads. It takes patience, as usually you have to set for a few minutes quiet with no trolling motor, but nothing is as fun as seeing a hog swirl the pads then trying to cast past and bring it to him, knowing he is there. SEE NOW IM GETTING EXCITED
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 04:47 PM   #9
dtyukody
BassFishin.Com Member

Red face

YaHooo - I'm getting excited as well. OK, I'll go with the braid (30#) and frogs plus heavy (HOW HEAVY??) jigs.

On the rod/reel: thank goodness Santa was good to me. I'll shop for a MH 7' rod. I have a Shimano Curado Bantam that I just got thru Ebay so I think I'll use that.

All this is good stuff!
Old 01-08-09, 05:17 PM   #10
woody

How heavy you ask, I would use up to a whole 1 OZ.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 06:16 PM   #11
dtyukody
BassFishin.Com Member

OooooKay! Type of jig to use? I'm thinkiing football.
Old 01-08-09, 07:23 PM   #12
bamabassman

nope, not the football in sloppy grass, use a grass diving jig. more pionted so it goes down in da grass. footballs kinda hang up.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 07:27 PM   #13
bamabassman

also, thnk about this. ok...here where i fish, 90 percent of the time, i use 2 things as wel as a jig. (everyone here knows this from about last summers get together) i used a 6"zoom lizard, punkin seed witha chartruse tail (fadedout a little), and a 8 to 10 inch black worm. try these as well. oh yea.. almost forgot on the lizard, also another color was junebug. ask bb144 and kingfisher. weight was 1/4 black bullet. or 3/8 ounce.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 06:05 PM   #14
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyukody View Post
OooooKay! Type of jig to use? I'm thinkiing football.
If you are fishing pads then 1/2oz grass jig will work. If you are fishing grass then go to 1 oz. Make sure your rod works well with a 1oz weight. I'd take the reel and a big jig with me to the store to test the rod before purchasing the rod.

For a spinning rod I went with the 6'6" M Gator and loved it until the tip broke this past summer. Horsing bass out of thick cover was easy. Braided line helps too. Going to get another this winter. I may go to the 7' MH Gator.
For baitcasting I went with the 7'5" Mossyback after getting to play with it beforehand. I knew it would work with a 1oz weight.
Old 01-09-09, 08:09 PM   #15
pig n jig

I would use a frog and a jig each day and see what they want for the day.Often you can catch fish on oth presentations, the same day. My favorite jig for heavy cover is the All terrain grassmaster jig. The bottom substance determines what weight jig I use.The sootier the substance, the lighter the jig I use.For cleaner sandy like bottom substances, I'll go with a heavier jig.I like 50 lb braid and don't waste your time tying a leader on.Your fishing heavy cover, the line will blend in with the surrounding environment. 30 lb braid is ok, but I prefer to use 50 lb. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 08:19 PM   #16
JB

that is an exciting way to fish and i luv fishing that exact scenario...unfortunately the best cattle pond that we did those tactics has just been sold after
so my years of fishing it has
come to a end
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 10:50 PM   #17
keithdog

Doesn't that just piss ya off JB!!!!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 11:03 PM   #18
keithdog

Hey DT, thought I would add a little something here. There is a lake in my area like you describe. Acres of pads. So many in fact that hunting for bass in them is like hunting for a needle in a hay stack. There is so much good looking pad water that it's hard to pin point where to start. Then I tried something different. Instead of fishing the pads, I moved into heavy weedbeds that had reached and were floating on the surface of the water. Using a 6 1/2 foot M/H action rod with 17 pound Silver Thread, I started pitching short casts into the middle of the floating weeds with a 4inch soft plastic, weighted with a 1/2 oz. tungstin bullet weight pegged to the hook. I used beavers, creature baits, and crayfish imitaters. Didn't seem to matter. What DID matter was that I was getting into some very excellent bass fishin by working those dense weedbeds just off the pads. I'd pitch that lure right into the center of the floating mat and let it fall quickly to the bottom. One or two lifts of the lure usually would bring on a very hard strike. Also, I seemed to have better luck with using this technique in the small clumps of pads isolated away from the larger spreads of pads. Something for you to think about next time your out there and the bite in the pads gets tough.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 02:27 AM   #19
Nitro 640
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hey,
when you fish the pads how often do you get hung up and loose you lurers? How heavey of line do you need? What kind?
Nitro 640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 02:43 AM   #20
cassidyta

I don't get hung up often, but I am almost exclusive in throwing top water frogs. I have lost a few jigs if I am trying to punch through the pads and hit the bottom. I throw 40 lbs braid. Most of the lost baits came from snagging tree roots rather than pads them selves. IN those rare cases, I lost them because I cut them off because I could not get close enough to free them and did not want to strip out the drag or break a rod.
Old 01-10-09, 02:52 AM   #21
Nitro 640

cassidyta
when you got a hit did you get most out? If so how did you reel them in? Real aggresive as in pulled them on top? Just wonder since I will throw by them but not into or pass them.
Old 01-10-09, 03:03 AM   #22
cassidyta

Frog fishing is the most frustrating fishing on the planet but also one of the most exciting. I won't say that I got most hits out, but I do get most hooksets to the boat or shore.
The cover will determine my plan. the great thing about braid is that I can let them dive is I have to, but normally I will try to horse them out of the pads.
Ideally, I will bring them to the top and let them skid across the top.
Old 01-10-09, 03:07 AM   #23
Nitro 640

That what I though you would have to do. I wonder if you dont use braid what pound test should you have? I use fireline most of the time #10.
Old 01-10-09, 03:14 AM   #24
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

get em out as fast as you can! i lost a couple last year (and my spro frogs) cause they went down and found a snag to wrap around. just out of arms reach, of course.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 03:18 AM   #25
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro 640 View Post
That what I though you would have to do. I wonder if you dont use braid what pound test should you have? I use fireline most of the time #10.

i'm not throwing anything in the pads NOT tied to braid
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.