Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-28-09, 05:24 AM   #1
CCbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Is it the color or the technique ?

This comes about from telling others how I caught my fish on a day they had a tough time at. Saw them a few days later with the same results, yet they fished the lure I said and had no good results, noticed the color of the lure I said to use on there pole. It was nothing like the color I used, don't know there technique with the bait but they fished my same water and did poor. They are tournement fisherman so I am guessing they use the bait the same as me as far as technique in this situation. It was a spook and walking the dog is a pretty standard way to fish it.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-09, 05:29 AM   #2
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

it's the technique,especially on a topwater!!!
Old 04-28-09, 06:37 AM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Technique trumps color any day of the week. That being said, I know there are times when bass or any other species are very particular as to what color they will hit. Why your friends failed to connect on the technique you told them about is anyones guess. There are so many variables that determine which technique will work, and those variables can change by the hour.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-09, 07:24 AM   #4
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

I would say technique.Because most top water baits are wite on bottom thats what the bass see.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-09, 09:28 AM   #5
fishin spro

its both....recently i saw fish KILL a 4" senko, but if you picked up a 5" one in the same color they wouldnt touch it....if you picked up a 4" one in a diff. color...they wouldnt touch it. so color, size, and presentation all have an effect on it.
Old 04-28-09, 11:37 AM   #6
carolina-rig-01

could be neither, there could be other factors that kept them from catching fish. maybe there just wasn't a topwater bite that day, or maybe there was a front pushing through, if they would have been using flourocarbon line the action of the bait would be way different. these are just a few of the variables that could be the difference between them catching fish and them not catching fish.
Old 04-28-09, 12:11 PM   #7
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
could be neither, there could be other factors that kept them from catching fish. maybe there just wasn't a topwater bite that day, or maybe there was a front pushing through, if they would have been using flourocarbon line the action of the bait would be way different. these are just a few of the variables that could be the difference between them catching fish and them not catching fish.
How does flourocarbon effect the action/movement? Being that it sinks and you're fishing a top water bait like a Zara Spook, would you recomend using flourocarbon?
As for my self, I just started using the stuff this year. I didn't like it on jerkbaits, I seemed to still have a much higher hookup ratio using mono. I love it when I'm using soft plastics and/or a jig-n-trailor, Spinnerbaits, I haven't gotten enough bites with 'em yet to tell, and haven't gotten a crankbait bite at all yet. What is your guys's take on this?
Old 04-28-09, 12:52 PM   #8
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstech View Post
How does flourocarbon effect the action/movement? Being that it sinks and you're fishing a top water bait like a Zara Spook, would you recomend using flourocarbon?
As for my self, I just started using the stuff this year. I didn't like it on jerkbaits, I seemed to still have a much higher hookup ratio using mono. I love it when I'm using soft plastics and/or a jig-n-trailor, Spinnerbaits, I haven't gotten enough bites with 'em yet to tell, and haven't gotten a crankbait bite at all yet. What is your guys's take on this?
Negative, GhostRider. Since the fluoro sinks, it'll affect the action of any top water lures, especially something like a Spook or Pop-r, since there's a good bit of the line in the water. It will pull the nose of the bait down, forcing it to fight through more of the water, making it less lively. I betcha it would be hard to walk-the-dog with fluoro. On a buzzbait or something similar it won't matter quite so much since just a little of the line will be in the water, but it will have some effect.
I like mono for most applications. I use it for everything except frogs and heavy cover lures, like jigs, plastics, etc, in which case I'll use braid. I would think that the fluoro might hinder the action of the jerkbaits as well, although I can't say for sure. It should work well for crankbaits, though; the fact that it sinks may help you get the crank a little deeper.

EDIT:
Ok, I went and looked at the line guide, and Kevin recommends using fluoro with jerkbaits, not mono. Turns out my reasoning was wrong.
I guess since I don't use fluoro at all, I should keep my mouth shut about it, huh?

Last edited by MississippiBoy; 04-28-09 at 01:15 PM. Reason: New information
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-09, 01:56 PM   #9
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yeah i think both color and technique play big parts but i think technique plays a bigger difference most of the time..... but yeah color can make a huge difference sometimes.... defiantley when the fish are finicky.....

yeah mono is defiantley better for topwater... a lot of the pros throw braid but i only do that with frogs(the $$ makes a difference too)
Old 04-28-09, 01:58 PM   #10
fishin spro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
EDIT:
Ok, I went and looked at the line guide, and Kevin recommends using fluoro with jerkbaits, not mono. Turns out my reasoning was wrong.
I guess since I don't use fluoro at all, I should keep my mouth shut about it, huh?
not by any means trying to say kevin doesnt know what hes talkin abt....but theyre are many diff. opinions on that. kinda like braid and mono when fishing plastics....i know a lot of ppl that wouldnt put plastics on braid...but i also know ppl that wont fish them on mono...its just a matter of what works best for your style.
i dont use fluro at all...i like mono for just about everything...and if i dont like mono for something...then ill use braid.
Old 04-29-09, 01:29 AM   #11
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstech View Post
mississippi boy pretty much summed it up on the flourocarbon subject. i only use mono for topwater baits with the exception being frogs which get braid. the point i was trying to make is that there are way too many variables in fishing to say why something doesn't work for one guy that works well for another.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.