Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-10-11, 02:17 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Color C-lecter

Saw Billy Mays, I mean Roland Martin, hauking this on one of his shows, AGAIN. Here's the funny part. He asks the guide he's with what his favorite colors were. Guide responded, "Chartuese mostly" with which Roland responded,"Ya,thats a color that came up on my fish C-lecter." Then Roland asks are there any other colors the guide uses. To which the guide answers, "I really like rootbeer." Again Roland's response, "Thats what the color selecter also said would be a good color." Chartuese and rootbeer, in no way are in anyones eyes similar colors. Not even close to one another on the spectrum chart. Now it may work for choosing a HELICOPTER Lure color, but I think it ends there.
This in no way is meant to slam Roland, marketing is marketing. When Roland started there were no big dollar tournements and sponsers. If you wanted to fish for a living, you had to find a way to make money. It was your boat, your tackle and so on. Roland learned the money end of fishing first and probably better than anyone in the business. I also feel he knows FISH.
Anyway, anyone believe in the color C-lecter?
Old 12-10-11, 02:49 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

There is some solid science behind the device, though whether the results are worth it is debatable.

All it does is tell you which colors provide the highest contrast ratio in the current water and sunlight conditions. The thing is, the sunlight level is constantly changing, with clouds, time of day, and even presentation depth. I'm sure one could develop a sense of the progression of colors during a day of fishing though; i.e perhaps going from one shade of chartreuse to a darker one as evening approaches (just a guess).

The thing about chartreuse not being similar to root beer...remember this is about contrast ratio, not absolute color. So there will be multiple different colors that would be equally "more visible" to fish. Which one of them is better for an aggression strike, matching the hatch, etc. is anyone's guess.
Old 12-10-11, 08:33 PM   #3
Marty

The inventor of the Color-C-Lector, the late Dr. Loren Hill, said straightforwardly that it shows the color best seen under the conditions at the time and that is not necessarily the best color to attract hits. I don't know anyone who uses these things; it was a big fad in the 80s when a lot of manufacturers made lures in colors that matched those on the Color-C-Lector.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 11:33 PM   #4
pig n jig

I still have one sitting in a tin can.It is just a guide for light and water clarity conditions.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 11:40 PM   #5
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Mine has never let me down. I have carried one in my boat for years and never taken it out of the rod box so I guess you can say it has never steered me wrong yet.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 11:53 PM   #6
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If I were to use one, I think I would handle it like this. Rather than let it pick your lure color, just do your fishing like you normally would, using a variety of colors. THEN take your readings. Over a couple of seasons you could probably tell if it was giving you the right answer, or even that "when it says chartruese, root beer worked better". You might base your future decisions on that.
Old 12-11-11, 08:55 AM   #7
lilmule

Often it is enlightening what color is says,however most of the time it is the color that is considered the best to use there,which to locals is common knowledge.Other normal colors for use there will also be on the table as alternate colors that work,funny part is they the favorites may all be alternate colors with something like white or iridescent blue being tops.
Hint Ky lake -green pumkin,watermelon/red-reds,purples silver/pearl or combo thereof
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-11, 09:04 AM   #8
joedog

I think skeeter may have the right 'attitude'!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.