Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-30-12, 08:32 AM   #1
Mumpy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Looking for some Big Bass Zone book help

Hey guys,
I’m reading the book Big Bass Zone by Bill Siemantel and Michael Jones to help me locate Bass and hopefully catch better quality Bass. In the “Finding Fish” section under Points it talks about “But more critical to success is finding the sharpest break on that point”

This sharpest break they are referring too, is that like the sharpest break up and down like a depth change or are they talking about the sharpest break being like a sharp bend in that point, horizontally sharpest break or Lateral Sharpest Break?
Old 05-30-12, 08:54 AM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Actually sometimes reversed not the sharpest but the longest built like a ramp,and its channel curves that are of utmost importance.
It somewhat is dependent upon migratory travels to and fro like as in migration,bass follow lead in lead out banks in then back out using those long points near bay mouths.
As for how they relate on the drop its a read electronics thing,which also determines what baits you use due to how they are relating.Thats where your 3 d comes in to play at.Fish hugging will hit a jig those up off it a bit require a different bait.
Often on ky lake they suspend just over the drop just a tad deeper than than what the ledge was and one will go by those fish easily,they position about 5-10 out and say 2-3 ft deeper.Slider head is popular for that with rubber of some sort.Take some current they move around behind something ,less possibly on front.
Somewhat dependent upon species.
Despite my shallow fishing im fairly well versed in ledge fishing,just dont apply it much as most fish caught deep and placed in a live well dont do well(swimbladder thing).For catch and release its fine,for T fishing it kills about 25 percent of the field,cure for that is do not weigh dead fish,do not permit the culling of dead fish,some states do have culling laws.
So by choice im sitting in less than 3 ft of water tossing frogs while others are out on a ledge.
For those seeking instruction in ledge fishing
Dave Stewart
Bass Buster Guide Service-Benton Ky he wrote the book Out on a ledge

Last edited by lilmule; 05-30-12 at 09:07 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-12, 09:22 AM   #3
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Mumpy I haven't read that book but I assume they're talking about actual points not ledges. If you want to fish ledges Eufala is a classic. Points can be found in a 2 acre farm tank or the Pacific.
As far as the sharpest point thing, they have a good point. I'm guessing they mean sharpest horizontal drop. At least that's one of the things I always try to find on any given point.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.