Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 01-06-15, 12:28 AM   #1
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Bassmaster tournament

The wife and I are thinking about attending the Bassmaster tournament in June of this year on Kentucky Lake in Paris Tennessee. My question is what is the proper distance we should stay away from them? (I've watch tons of hours of fishing shows and have heard some of the pros complain about spectators being to close to them, or in an area they are about to fish) So help me out folks.
This will most likely be our only trip (out of state this year), from us buying a new 2014 Subaru, so in four years we can buy a 10+ acre farm for hunting/living on. (I had to get a all wheel drive vehicle for country traveling because my Ford SVT Lightning HATES the winter snow and ice.)
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-15, 07:54 AM   #2
mikechell

I am not a "fan" of any one angler ... so I wouldn't go to the actual fishing. Who are you going to follow? It's not like they'll all be with a few hundred yards, where you'll have your pick. You might spend all day following the one guy who is off his game ... what kind of holiday trip is that?

Go to the weigh ins and see what's been caught. Then spend the days fishing where you DON'T see other anglers and pretend your in the tournament. Would you win?
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-15, 02:53 PM   #3
bassfisher

You're right, who do we follow, may thoughts are to follow a well known pro, KVD, Tim Horton, Bobby Land. Then see who is having a good 1st day, then maybe follow one of the top 5 pros of that day. We just want to watch and maybe learn from them and to be able to say, we were there. And maybe get some way points to fish later.
Old 01-06-15, 04:14 PM   #4
mikechell

In that case ... If I remember correctly, the pro rules are 50 feet from another boat in motion ... 50 yards from one at anchor.
For spectators, they can't actually force you to leave ... but courteously, the prop rules should be followed.
To be sure, ask about the pro rules before chasing your dream team angler down.

Good luck.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-15, 05:33 PM   #5
bassfisher

Okay thanks, that's what I was looking for. Heck we might even just run around and look at different pros. We just don't know what we'll be doing or watching. Heck we just might fish for awhile, watch awhile, we just don't know yet. (no we won't be fishing around any of the pros either)

I hope everyone on here has a wonderful fishing year!

I just got back from rainbow trout fishing myself, and man was it cold!! Nothing to bring home today, but I'll get trying, we love to eat the trout that they stock around here for the FINS program. (Fishing In Neighborhoods program)
Old 01-08-15, 07:56 AM   #6
Thornback

I agree the weigh-in is better spectator sport. Keeping your polite distance from a pro will not teach you much as far as their lure selection and techniques. A good way to learn is hire a local guide about every three months (I am not a guide but have hired one several times and he was a good teacher). By the end of a year you will know what to do and then you will need to practice, and practice, and practice some more
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-15, 10:34 AM   #7
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Try 50 yards from another boat fishing,unless the other angler agrees its a dq.
Get or secure a room way ahead of time,unless you want to stay 18-20 miles away.
Motel on 79 and fishtail lodge on 79 about 1 mile from ramp,clean reasonable rates log cabin style,eat ,gas across the road walking distance.For a more expensive but nice stay try paris landing state park,the food is terrific and it wont be booked solid months in advance.
Under links and local info u will find all u need ph numbers etc http://kylaketn.webs.com/
At the weigh in a few anglers will be willing to talk let u try their rod out etc,most if you follow them are fishing local holes,just have the knowledge to know which are productive,that includes kvd who often fishes the mouth of big sandy with crankbaits as many ledges.
I have had 1 on 1 with Dobns and KVD,both are nice exceptional anglers who really try hard to to stay out of the limelight,neither time did I pester them they sort of started the conversation with me.And im a nobody just had something that interested them,at the time.
PS give me a holler.one day while your here ill take you out if you desire.I live about 7 min from the ramp.

Last edited by lilmule; 01-10-15 at 10:46 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-15, 03:17 PM   #8
bassfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Try 50 yards from another boat fishing,unless the other angler agrees its a dq.
Get or secure a room way ahead of time,unless you want to stay 18-20 miles away.
Motel on 79 and fishtail lodge on 79 about 1 mile from ramp,clean reasonable rates log cabin style,eat ,gas across the road walking distance.For a more expensive but nice stay try paris landing state park,the food is terrific and it wont be booked solid months in advance.
Under links and local info u will find all u need ph numbers etc http://kylaketn.webs.com/
At the weigh in a few anglers will be willing to talk let u try their rod out etc,most if you follow them are fishing local holes,just have the knowledge to know which are productive,that includes kvd who often fishes the mouth of big sandy with crankbaits as many ledges.
I have had 1 on 1 with Dobns and KVD,both are nice exceptional anglers who really try hard to to stay out of the limelight,neither time did I pester them they sort of started the conversation with me.And im a nobody just had something that interested them,at the time.
PS give me a holler.one day while your here ill take you out if you desire.I live about 7 min from the ramp.
The wife and I might just take you up on that offer.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.