Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-15-10, 05:07 PM   #1
JerseyFisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Just bought a new rod... need help with reel selection

So just a few minutes ago I found a deal on ebay, and a got a used (bought march 2010) St. Croix Premier 7' MH M Crankbait rod for $84. I've been looking for a solid crankbait rod for a while now, and I finally got what I was looking for. Early in the week a was about to buy a St. Croix Mojo Crankin' rod w/ an Abu Black Max for $75 but someone got to it before me. So now that I have the rod... a need a reel.

To me it seems there aren't many quality low profile reels w/ low gear ratios in the value price range (~$100). Would I be able to get away with cranking in the 10' to 20' range with something like a Citica or Revo S, or would that cause a lot of strain reeling. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated either on what reels to use (I wanna stay under $150), or if I really need a low gear ratio to supplement the crankin' rod. If I can get away with it I would mostly buy a Citica 201e.

Thanks Guys,

Jack
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 05:11 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've not used them but the only reel that immediately comes to mind is the BPS Pro Qualifier. I know they are <$100 and come in cranking gear ratios, people really seem to like them. Daiwa unveiled a low speed Exceler at Icast also but I'm not sure when it will be available.

You can probably find a Curado E5 for $150 on ebay.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 05:19 PM   #3
JerseyFisher

I would love the Curado E5 but they only make them in right hand.
Old 07-15-10, 06:03 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd look for a Revo Winch on ebay.

I'd say you would be ok with a 6:1 gear ratio reel for the shallow end of 10-20', but you'll definitely need a low gear ratio for the big 16-20' divers.

BB
Old 07-15-10, 06:51 PM   #5
keithdog

Hey Jersey, I just bought that same rod a month ago. Your gonna love it!!! I have mine paired up with a BPS David Fritts 4.7-1 ratio and I love it! But, that reel isn't sold anymore. But you can buy either a Pro Qualifier or Rick Clunn in lower gear ratios. I have a couple Clunn reels and they have served me very well. I've never used the Pro Qualifier but I do know those who own them love how they handle and cast. I don't think you can go wrong with either reel.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 07:21 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyFisher View Post
So now that I have the rod... I need a reel.
Man...this guy understands me!!!!!

SYMPATICO!!!!
Old 07-15-10, 08:06 PM   #7
geezer1

I'd go with the Citica.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 08:51 PM   #8
nmanley

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

I use the Citica's on my two cranking stick and have NO problems cranking 20+ lures with them. It's about getting the bait down to the bottom and being erratic to get a strike.
Also I can swap out to lipless baits on them and have enough speed to work them like they need. I recommend not limiting your versatility with a 5.1 cranking reel. Just my opinion.
Old 07-16-10, 08:31 AM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If you can (and want to) wait until ICAST products start hitting the shelves, I've heard there is going to be a 4.9:1 gear ratio Daiwa Exceler. I'm assuming it will be the same price as the current one.

BB
Old 07-16-10, 01:00 PM   #10
Bassboss

About all I can think of with a low GR under 150, if the flooger trion, as far as name brand reels go. Other wise look at some store brands, namingly BPS. The PQ I hear is a good reel for the cash, and it has a low gear ratio too.

You should also try getting a citica, than replacing the gear with a curado E5 gear, for a low gear ratio.

edit: Didn't know they were coming out with a low GR Exceler, I'd consider that too!
Old 07-16-10, 02:34 PM   #11
dave0943

The Citica is a great reel. I just bought a Pro Qualifier not long ago and love it. Not the
most expensive reel I own, but performs up there with them. Love the dual brake system. I've had zero birds nests. I have both brakes dialed down and use the thumb. I can cast 1/4 oz jigs a mile. You can't do wrong with a PQ. I like my Cabela's Prodigy and Revo's as well.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 03:34 PM   #12
DaveW731

Default Another vote for BPS Pro Qualifier

Bought three of them, different retrieve ratios, different line capacities. Use them for everything from Scum Frogs to crankbaits.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 08:03 PM   #13
JerseyFisher

Went ahead and bought the BPS PQ with the 5.2:1 gear ratio. I still kicking myself for not buying a few weeks ago when it was on sale. But I was able to use a $20 off any order over $100 coupon, to get the final price of the reel and 2 Norman DD22's to $101. Looking forward to pairing it with the rod and seeing how it works.
Old 07-17-10, 12:41 AM   #14
Rebbasser

Jersey, let us know how you like the reel-I have the Fritts reel Keith mentioned but have been eying the PQ as an upgrade.
Old 07-17-10, 05:53 AM   #15
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I love my PQ... i like BPS reels a lot... Rick Clun, Johnny Moris Signature, and pro Qualifier are all great reels that fit in my budget... i will never be able to spend Revo ror curado money til i make captain somewhere...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.