Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-23-08, 12:21 AM   #1
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Wacky Rigging

So I was wondering who here uses the Wacky Rig. I have been using this method for some time know and have absolutly slaughtered fish. I have come up with several different rigging options and each one has it's own technique, time and place. Any success stories? Rigging tips etc?
crankitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-08, 12:27 AM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have a rod dedicated to just wacky rigging. Tips? Get one of these:

Called a Wacky Tool or O-Wacky Tool at BPS.

Put the bait in the open end, slide an O-ring up on the bait and run the hook under the O-ring rather than through the bait. Dramatically increases the bait's life.

If you need a heavier rig to make it sink faster put a small finishing nail in each end.
Old 12-23-08, 12:37 AM   #3
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

So I have the tool and do get good use out of it. I still preffer go straight threw the bait. I kick myself for everyone that gets thrown off at the boat though. Try this next time. Using a 5" Senko run your hook straight through the bait, take the finishing nail and only run it through one end (typically the end that would not be the tail). When you throw it out wait typically 4-5 seconds so it can get some momentum when it falls. As it falls twitch it at the most 3 times with just a wrist flick. After it touches bottom wait another 3-4 seconds give it a hop and 2-3 more twitches and repeat. I have caught over 3 dozen fish with this technique and amazingly enough each one new left a bite trail. Stay focused on the line because typically that is the only indication of a fish. The only other is slight pressure when you go to twitch the bait. (On average I am catching 2 1/2lb plus fish)
Old 12-23-08, 12:58 AM   #4
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I like using it a lot too. An additional place I use it is deeper water, 20'+. I put a bb (tiny split shot) sinker about a foot up the line to help it fall just a touch faster.
Another variation is to use a smaller hook (drop shot hook), the same split shot, but use a shaky worm (like I make) or a Zoom trick worm and hook it in the eggsac. The worms are pretty neutral to floating naturally so with the small weight they fall slowly. It takes some patience to let it fall, but bass love it. On a day you can't get bit, try this!

I like circle hooks for wacky rigging, usually big ones like 1/0 Daiichis. I think the twist in the hook helps a lot since you are fishing this on slack line and don't always feel the bite.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-08, 10:10 AM   #5
Fishnngolfn

There is too much junk where I fish to use the wacky rig. I get hung up on a lot of stuff. Or I am doing it wrong.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-08, 11:30 AM   #6
Lilmoosecountry

The wacky rig has changed allot over the years. It's always been a finese rig. But i recall aday when the wacky rig was rigged diffrently. Today a jig head seams to be the way. But i recall using a light wire gold Crappie hook. We also weighted it with a finish nail in the head of the worm. With the weight in the head pn one end of the bait it would always flutter down nose first. Giving it a wacky swimming motion. This is how i still perfer rigging it. But what can i say i'm old school. It worked then it will work now. Since nobody really rigs it in it's orignal method. I think the fish discover new oppertunities of being caught.
Old 12-23-08, 11:54 AM   #7
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

Don't worry about fishing this around cover. Check out this hook. This is one of my secret weapons when wacky rigging around sunken brush, debris etc. I can get it in weightless, 1/16, 1/32, 3/32 weights and the kicker is it is weedless. These hooks are Falcon Weighted Weedless "K" Wacky Rig Hooks.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-08, 02:09 AM   #8
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
I have a rod dedicated to just wacky rigging. Tips? Get one of these:

Called a Wacky Tool or O-Wacky Tool at BPS.

Put the bait in the open end, slide an O-ring up on the bait and run the hook under the O-ring rather than through the bait. Dramatically increases the bait's life.

If you need a heavier rig to make it sink faster put a small finishing nail in each end.

Yep, this is a great tool. It is amazing how much longer baits last, especially if you are like me and use a weedless hook and drop them into heavily weeded areas!
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.