Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-02-04, 09:27 PM   #1
powayfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Brush Hogs

I'm just curious how many of ya'll use them?
They are just about one of the most popular baits around here and they catch alot of south louisiana
bass! Every one I know that fishes around here uses them, but I can't ever remember seeing them mentioned here on the forum. Do all of ya'll use them are is it just a south Louisiana thing?
They flat out work!!!

PHIL G.
Old 10-02-04, 09:29 PM   #2
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default Re: Brush Hogs

They are extremely popular all over, I don't use them, but I know there are a bunch of people here who do.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-04, 01:32 AM   #3
bassguy2004

We use them all over California. Some very large fish have been caught on that particular creature bait. I use the Junebug color at night.
Old 10-03-04, 03:06 AM   #4
killmatik
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to killmatik

I prefer the lizard because of the action the tail provides.

However, be prepared to get bites from bluegill and crappie on them as well.
killmatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-04, 02:38 PM   #5
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

keeb has a point on the lake i fish a lot there are pyscho brim that will attack anything -even 12" worms- they tend to bite the tails off and/or any apendage off your lure. for this reason i use either a finesse worm or a senko in this lake.
still get the hits but they don't tear your lure apart. yeah i have caught brim on a 4"senko with a 3/0 ewg hook

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-04, 03:19 PM   #6
powayfisher

Well to name a couple of the ones we use down here,
Junebug, junebug redflake,REDbug,Sourgrape,watermelon blue flake,water
melon seed and red flake,blacksaphire, cotten candy,
and Plum-Apple. We have some monster Goggleye and blugill in the places we fish and they do go after and somtimes mess up the hog a little,Thats why I keep 3 bags of them in each color I use at all times, and I really don't mind pulling a goggleye every now and then. Most of the time we use the Baby Brush hogs(not to be confused with the tiny brush hogs) the babys are about 6" long, biggest bass I'v seen cought on one was 5 pounds 13 ounces caught 2 weeks ago by my brother in law. I'v noticed that somtimes when you can't get bit for nothing, these things catch fish. And other times when the action is great on another plastic bait swich to these things and really catch fish. I don't fish alot when the weather starts getting cold because I duck hunt alot instead, but from early spring till late fall we never stop using them and the work equally well all year long. I'll estimate that I'v caught somwhere between
400-600 bass this year,and at least half of them where on brush hogs, they really work and you guys should give them a try. Junbug works well any where!!!
Old 10-03-04, 06:45 PM   #7
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Keep 3-4 different colors. They are becoming my go to. Never fails, no fish throw on my hog and start catchin fish. Ill even start with that just to kick up the feeding frenzy for the other stuff I spend my hard earned money on. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-04, 11:10 PM   #8
Chip
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Chip

hey fireman, when you say you keep them in your bnoat and that they are your go to bait, are you talking about baby brush hogs fo full size.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-04, 09:50 PM   #9
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

It's considered (as Bassguy states) a creature bait, along with many other things. It has great action, and vibrations going through the water, thereby attracting everything around, including bluegill, attention. I prefer the Lizards, but have bunches of the brush hogs. I would also like to throw out 2 colors that have always performed well, BLACK(yes all black), and Greenpumkin. Those colors in Lizards/Salamnders ARE MY GO TO BAIT.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-04, 12:30 AM   #10
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I've got a whole bag full. Two, actually-one for full size and one for babys. The colors I have had the best luck with are watermelon seed, WM red flake, and baby bass. I fish them T-rigged, C-rigged, and as a jig trailer. Wonder how they would work wacky rigged? Hmmmm-have to give that one a try just for grins.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-04, 12:36 AM   #11
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Capt D, I primarily use the 6" babies, seem to work never have gone with bigger ones. Have used some knockoffs that are 4" with success also. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-04, 09:45 PM   #12
UGAROCKS2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to UGAROCKS2002

caught all my flippin fish down in okeechobee when i was in my national tournament for teen anglers, but they werent mine. the guide that volentered (spelling) had them and tought me how to flip while using them. it realy sucked i hooked up to a big girl like 8#er and she plowed that kissimmie grass (spelling lol) into a path and unhooked, then my guide tennesse smacked me up side my head and sayed how could you let that fish school you like that lol true story.

kevin

UGAROCKS2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-04, 11:42 AM   #13
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

To use a brush hog as a jig trailer, cut off the nose near the front legs. Then with a razor blade, split each tentacle and cut V notches in the large lobe like appendages to make them appear as claws.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-04, 03:54 PM   #14
OhioBass

well I'm one of those guys that will blame everything for not catching fish expect for the bait and myself.The brush hog has became my go to. i really enjoy using tiny brush hogs...the two colors that i have the most luck on are avacado and watermelon candy...at night i like to use junebug or black/redflake...latley i have been dying the tails a chartsuse color....hope this helps ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-04, 09:41 PM   #15
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

sam
what did ya drag this one out of the celler for?

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.