Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-02-04, 05:44 PM   #1
ploop...BOOM
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ploop...BOOM
Default Jigheads

I'm thinking about pouring my own jigheads this year. From those that have done this.......is it benefitial (ie. money saving) or is it just for the satisfaction of doing them yourself?
Thanks,
Bob
ploop...BOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-04, 06:13 PM   #2
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181
Default Re: Jigheads

I understand that sometimes you can alter the molds to receive different hooks and that, if true, will allow you more flexibility in what kind of jig you get as results. This allows you to experiment and suit your needs.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-04, 02:17 PM   #3
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

To more directly respond to your post.....

A good source of lead will save you the most (IMO)money....sometimes tire shops have old wheel weights kicking around they will part with if you ask. Another source is to watch yard sales with old tackle boxes which may or not hold large sinkers and such. Weights on casting nets are great should you find any discarded nets.

If you really get lucky, some telephone poles have a lead guard on the support cables..(guy wires)..sometimes these end up in junkyards. If I recall, they are about two and a half feet by 8 inches or so, also being about one inch thick. At any rate, a good souce of lead will be a big factor.

Try to find a bulk source for hooks.

Good fishing, Mac
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-04, 06:01 PM   #4
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

Try here they might have something you need.[url http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/...olds-index.htm url]

I get alot of crap from here and they are nice to deal with. and it's Canadian money so it's even more of a deal for ya!

Robby.[url http://www.luremaking.com/howto/leadconcerns3.htm url]

Also read this article too a must to know!
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-04, 08:39 PM   #5
bassguy2004

I've been making jig heads for along time now. The initial cost is the mold, and hooks. I do purchace lead on occasion because the wheel weights aren't 100% lead. The are an alloy, maybe 65% lead, and it isn't as soft. Even the lead you do buy, is only about 93%. Having said all that, I haven't bought a jig head in 20 years. At least not dart heads.
Old 12-04-04, 09:55 PM   #6
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i pour some lead my self the stuff i got is old lead down spouts. it is as close to pure as ya can get but it has roofing tar all over them. plus they are free so i can't complain. i use it to build spinner baits ;D,egg sinkers and a slip jig :-X which i wont even get in to.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-04, 10:08 PM   #7
lil_bill_dance
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to lil_bill_dance

It's sorta like making your own butter

Lakeguide
lil_bill_dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-04, 11:57 PM   #8
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

yep just not quite as salty.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 12-05-04, 12:56 AM   #9
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

BASSGUY,

Â* Â* Actually, wheelweights are approximately 93% lead, 4% antimony and 1% to 2% tin with approximately 1% of misc alloys of copper, zinc and arsenic. The tin content allows the metal to flow better and completely fill the molds if the metal is kept up to proper casting temperature. Lead/tin alloys will melt at a lower temperature than pure lead, and the antimony will make the metal harder but also causes the alloy to be brittle.
If anyone chooses to melt thier own lead and pour your own lures, be sure to do so in a well ventilated area and wear gloves to prevent the lead from being ingested thru the lungs or thru the skin. Prolonged exposure to lead can cause serious health problems and possible birth defects in future offspring.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-04, 10:33 AM   #10
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

also have a container of water near by as you are dealling with some major heat. lead melts at 400 degrees lead tin melt at 375 degrees aluminum melts at 475 and tin-pure- will melt at 350. i use all of these. i also use a lee production pot. it is safer than the ladle's i have tried. when i open the molds i dump them in a old butter container half full of water. i almost set the wooden work bench on fire once with aluminum egg sinkers-oops-. i use do-it molds while fairly pricy -30-45 bucks for the mold i have used them for about 15 years with no problems from any of them although new molds are tight and i find that placeing a small amont of folded paper in between the 2 halves of the mold to make the forms right till they are broke in -normally about 100- pours. i also use used motor oil to lube the molds. some poeple like to smoke there molds i don't. the oil also helps when pouring egg sinkers were ya have to pull the wire out of the sinker-makes the line hole-.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 12-05-04, 10:46 AM   #11
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

ZOOKER,

BE CAREFUL with that water. A single of drop of water accidentially dropped in your lead pot will cause the lead to explode all over the room, you, and the workbench, with disasterous results. Even a drop of sweat can cause this exciting phenomanon.

JackL
Old 12-05-04, 05:06 PM   #12
bassguy2004

I stand corrected JackL, and yes I do ventillate my garage when I pour.
Old 12-05-04, 09:55 PM   #13
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=JackL link=board=news;num=1102020267;start=0#8 date=12/04/04 at 22:56:54]BASSGUY,

Actually, wheelweights are approximately 93% lead, 4% antimony and 1% to 2% tin with approximately 1% of misc alloys of copper, zinc and arsenic. The tin content allows the metal to flow better and completely fill the molds if the metal is kept up to proper casting temperature. Lead/tin alloys will melt at a lower temperature than pure lead, and the antimony will make the metal harder but also causes the alloy to be brittle.
If anyone chooses to melt thier own lead and pour your own lures, be sure to do so in a well ventilated area and wear gloves to prevent the lead from being ingested thru the lungs or thru the skin. Prolonged exposure to lead can cause serious health problems and possible birth defects in future offspring.

JackL[/quote]

I think I'll just buy them, they aren't THAT exspensive But great tips, never can be to careful about offspring, we dont' want any RAT-LIKE features.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-04, 11:25 AM   #14
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

UNCLE LIZ,

Or LIZARD-LIKE features??

JackL
Old 12-06-04, 10:54 PM   #15
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=JackL link=board=news;num=1102020267;start=0#13 date=12/06/04 at 09:25:11]UNCLE LIZ,

Or LIZARD-LIKE features??

JackL[/quote]

Once again another classic, man I opened up the can with that post didn't I Now creekgeek is joining the fun, with some really good ones also, thanks to all for the laughs, it's GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-04, 11:10 AM   #16
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Man. You guys like to work more than I do. We got some of you making crankbaits, some pouring worms, now pouring jigs.

I used to cast bullets for my pistols. That's like real work.

I think I'll go by Gander Mountain, then go fishing tomorrow.

(My tongue is planted firmly in my cheek here guys. I know there is a lot of satisfaction in "rolling your own".)
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-04, 08:46 PM   #17
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

just as long as it is twisted on each end ;D.
i figure i go through 400 bullet heads a year. might as well pour my own. besides i pour most of my own bullets any way.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 12-13-04, 09:08 PM   #18
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

very dangerous, be careful.
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.