Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-16-10, 01:02 AM   #1
Ground Pounder
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Short, stout rod for flippin', pitchin', and skippin' from shore / small boats?

Been having some difficulty flippin', pitchin', and skippin' with my 6 1/2 foot rod when I'm ducking into tight shore-fishing spots, and working my way around low docks with chain / hand rails.

Anyone recommend a good, stout 5 or 5 1/2 ft rod for this application? Can be either spinning or baitcasting at this point, since I'm working with conditions which could require both.
Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-10, 05:10 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i think you need a 7 footer or longer for this. not a shorter rod. all my rods are 7' now. for the life of me i still can't flip or pitch, but i try. skipping i would think a real flimsy rod would work better, haven't doen that though so i could be telling oyu wrong on that pal.
Old 08-19-10, 05:49 PM   #3
dave0943

I see what your saying. I went to using a 6' rod and soon went back to 7'. I like to be able to pull the extra line , under control, with the seven. Gives me extra control by the raising and lowering of the rod tip, without having to move the whole rod, with a shorter stick. I hope that made sense the way I wrote it. the set up is heavier, but to me works better.
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 08:50 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Tough situation GP. The ideal rod for pitching and flipping is between 7' and 7'6", but with the conditions you're facing, it's hard to fish with a rod that long...

What's your max budget for this rod? I'll do some looking around and see what I can find in you're price range.

BB
Old 08-19-10, 11:19 PM   #5
bamabassman

if it has to be a short rod.......i would say for the money i would go with a litghting rod. heavy action. i have had several and still have 2 i use REGULARLY. best value i think for the money. under 30 bucks. jsut hard to get one that short unless you get the pistol grip handle.
Old 08-20-10, 12:12 AM   #6
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'd try to find a Medium-Heavy 6'-6'2" spinning for skipping and such. I use a 6'2" and the shorter rod is a bit easier than a longer rod for this. I've heard of guys using a 5'6" too for shooting way up under pontoons when you are in close.

For pitching I use a 6'10" Heavy casting rod. Sometimes I'll use a longer one when needed but for the most part I like it a little shorter. Mine is a Falcon Expert which they quit making.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 12:26 AM   #7
Ground Pounder

I ended up picking up a Berkley Cherrywood rod to try out for now - 6' MH, on sale for about $20. It hasn't been half bad so far for gettin' my technique down.

I do plan on picking up a proper flippin' stick someday, but I'll likely wait until next spring after I decide on a small boat, and size it from there.
Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 08:55 PM   #8
bamabassman

got a couple of those as well pounder. VERY nice rod.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.