Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 05-30-14, 12:41 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default It's time, folks

Come over to Anthony's forum.

www.basschat.yuku.com

It can be the way this forum used to be.

Plus, Anthony runs it, and malcontents can be dealt with as he sees fit, with no business interests involved.

Come on over!
Old 05-30-14, 02:36 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Doesn't seem like there has be much of any activity there over the last year either. I check it every now and then, but see someone has acknowledged -FINALLY - a witty post that was a year old... hummmmm. I know this site is all but dead and buried and we should do something, but a few of us over at basschat are not going to amount to much either. The activity really needs to increase over at BC to keep any interest going and attract fresh blood, as I said it's seen little posting in the last 12 months.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 04:30 PM   #3
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Most of the sites I get into are more fly fishing oriented. This is the only bass fishing site I go to. I'll stay until there's no one else, I guess.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 09:47 AM   #4
MississippiBoy

I only have one concern about moving. Will there be any "new blood" signing up over there, if we all move and abandon BF.com? Even if all of our current active membership moves, we still only have the same thing there as we do here now. So how would we go about getting new membership there?
There are a million and one fishing websites out there, and it's gotta be tough to break in with a new one.
Old 06-02-14, 04:42 PM   #5
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
I only have one concern about moving. Will there be any "new blood" signing up over there, if we all move and abandon BF.com? Even if all of our current active membership moves, we still only have the same thing there as we do here now. So how would we go about getting new membership there?
There are a million and one fishing websites out there, and it's gotta be tough to break in with a new one.
We are probably going to have to decide, for real to do it, first. People have played with the idea of Anthony's board for years, so without a set date to leave this island, its going to keep being the same way...boring here and boring there.

If we can come to a consensus to leave this board on a certain date, and say, make a pack not to come here but to try and be interesting and relevant at Anthony's, we can succeed.

How do we get new members? We probably dont need a ton of new blood to keep it relevant. We really dont have to make a blip market share wise. Just a few new guys will do it. I have nothing much to say right now, right here, to you guys. If we bring in 15 new members, by invitation, we will probably be good. That give us an internet bass club of maybe 50 guys.
Old 06-03-14, 09:09 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Hey guys. Here's my thoughts on this as of right now.

Billy is right that we must make a decision to move and follow through with it. Without doing that, we won't be able to accomplish anything. We'll sit around here watching as BF.com slowly and sadly dies.

However, for anything to change other than the location of our discussion, we do need new members. I know there's been a couple new members sign up and make the odd post or two. However, there is nothing going on there to keep them interested and on the site. And back to the above issue, if WE are not posting there, what's there to keep new people or get the lurker to sign up? Nothing.

Invitations are great; invite whoever you can. We can't advertise on other forums, but PM your good buddies there and let them know.

BF.com is still attracting new people and still getting hits. People just can't register. If we leave with a few "ads" here, our parting posts if you will, advising people to come to BassChat we will gain new members that way as well.

Get anyone you know who runs their own fishing business/website to shoot me a PM over there and we can work out a partnership deal. Leave a link to Basschat on your site, get "sponsor" status at the forum. The only profit would be the additional hits to both sites.

But I can't stress this enough: BassChat has to be an active forum (even if it's just barely active like BF) before we can attract and keep new members. WE HAVE TO BE POSTING THERE!

I know many are hesitant to give up on BF.com, and I understand that. I was myself at first. But now as I see it, there's no hope left here. Our worst case scenario is we all move to BassChat and watch it slowly fizzle out. Different site, same outcome. But at least there we have a chance to start something great.

For this to work, we all have to be in agreement.

BB
Old 06-03-14, 10:55 PM   #7
MississippiBoy

I agree, there's nothing keeping me here other than the people. And if all of us move over to Anthony's site, then I have no ties to here anymore. I only said what I did to express my thoughts on how difficult it will be to grow the Basschat forum.
But I'm in......
Old 06-04-14, 07:22 AM   #8
nobass

ok with me
Old 06-04-14, 09:14 AM   #9
mikechell

It's been nice knowing you. I don't have a truck and my van's full of fishing gear, so I can't help you move.
Old 06-04-14, 10:59 AM   #10
BigBassin144

I truly believe we can make this work if we all get behind it. Thanks to those who have agreed to support this. Once we get enough (preferably all) of our members to agree to the move, I think we need to set a date and do it.

Anything at all I can do over at the new site to make this better or the move easier, let me know and I'll do my best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
It's been nice knowing you. I don't have a truck and my van's full of fishing gear, so I can't help you move.
No vans or trucks required. You're welcome to check out the new forum; we'll need all the members we can get over there to make this happen.

basschat.yuku.com

BB
Old 06-04-14, 11:58 AM   #11
woody

I have already signed in, over at Basschat, so I'm ready to make the move.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-14, 07:22 PM   #12
Dave63

Can do, but there's got to be some activity. I posted over there a few times a while ago but it's dead too.
Old 06-04-14, 10:47 PM   #13
nofearengineer

I'm in bass chat right now.
Old 06-05-14, 02:06 AM   #14
Tavery5

I'm in, I can't see any other option if there is ever any hope of creating something like this place use to be. I miss it.
Old 06-05-14, 11:02 AM   #15
WatterBoy

I'm in, too. Waiting for the move date to be announced.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 11:39 AM   #16
MississippiBoy

How about next Saturday, June 14th, at midnight Central time?
Old 06-05-14, 12:09 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Quote:
Sounds good to me. After that point, we will all move over to BassChat. And once that happens, we can start to expand the membership over there and hopefully build a great forum.

BB
Old 06-05-14, 01:06 PM   #18
WatterBoy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Sounds good to me. After that point, we will all move over to BassChat. And once that happens, we can start to expand the membership over there and hopefully build a great forum.

BB
Sounds good to me also. The one downside for me that I just discovered is that the new site is blocked here at work, so no browsing the site for me during the day any more. Rats.
Old 06-05-14, 01:24 PM   #19
mikechell

That's one downside, Watter. The other one, for me, is ... I don't belong to any social websites, and I don't want to. Joining Yuku, or whatever it is, is just not a desirable option for me.

I did look at the forums there. Looks like most of the threads haven't had any activity since 2013 ... some haven't been hit since 2011. Only a few had recent activity. THIS site's got more activity than that one.

I guess that's all a moot point, or will be as of the 14th.
Old 06-05-14, 06:45 PM   #20
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
Sounds good to me also. The one downside for me that I just discovered is that the new site is blocked here at work, so no browsing the site for me during the day any more. Rats.
If you've got a smart phone, there is a Yuku app. It functions pretty similarly to Tapatalk for anyone who uses that for other forums.

BB
Old 06-05-14, 07:14 PM   #21
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
If you've got a smart phone, there is a Yuku app. It functions pretty similarly to Tapatalk for anyone who uses that for other forums.

BB
Nope, no smart phone...
Old 06-05-14, 08:22 PM   #22
mikechell

No smart phone here either. I don't have a text account, hell, I don't even take pictures with mine.
Old 06-06-14, 08:55 AM   #23
joedog

The biggest 'draw' of newbies to a forum is from good discussions.
When you google a topic many forum posts appear along with other articles/posts/studies.

I found this site that way and another.
Not being a social network type of guy.
I don't do facebook and stuff.
Someone texts me....I call them back.
Only did photobucket because of this site and contests.

So discussion and topics is the draw.
Pics are nice but they aren't what draws newbies. (google bass pictures once)I know the small group has discussed everything known to angling and we may be bored with one another but You have to repeat and go over 'old' topics/ideas at BC or the newbies WILL see a BF.com post and come here and never visit the new site.

The more hits on google and the farther up the list you go, I believe.

Just thought I'd add a few thoughts.

It's hard to recruit even friends if no one is willing to talk about things.
Share ideas and develop discussion.
Old 06-06-14, 11:19 AM   #24
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
So discussion and topics is the draw.
Pics are nice but they aren't what draws newbies. (google bass pictures once)I know the small group has discussed everything known to angling and we may be bored with one another but You have to repeat and go over 'old' topics/ideas at BC or the newbies WILL see a BF.com post and come here and never visit the new site.

The more hits on google and the farther up the list you go, I believe.

Just thought I'd add a few thoughts.

It's hard to recruit even friends if no one is willing to talk about things.
Share ideas and develop discussion.
Joe, thanks for the thoughts. You are absolutely correct on number of things. Some may get bored and complain about the "same old questions" being asked over and over my new members. But you can plainly see now that that is what keeps a forum going.

Once we make the switch, I'm planning on leaving a few posts here to let newcomers know where the survivors have gone. And in this way, we'll be taking advantage of the SEO (search engine optimization, or as you put it, getting farther up the results list) that this site already has.

I've done a small bit of research into SEO, and once we become active (as active as our small group can be alone) on BassChat, I can start working on this. And if anyone has any real experience with SEO, I'd be more than happy to have some help getting the forum's name out there and up the list!

Anyways, I hope you'll give your support and join us over there.

BB
Old 06-06-14, 06:51 PM   #25
joedog

I think I've been there for sometime.
Went there, took my name and didn't accept my 'believed' password.
Said I didn't have a security guestion listed but did send me an e-mail?

I will go back and ask for new one. Seems simple.

Believe I did a chat session way way back at the beginning and registered?

Anthony maybe you can check and PM me with my next step.

I'll go where-ever and talk about almost anything.
But before the commitment there wasn't anything really to respond too.
New threads seemed futile do to no-one to participate.

Seems like we got commitments now.

Now does this mean we post there and not here starting the 14th?.
If we post both places won't that kind of work against the move or transition?
Newbies may not go thru past posts untill they come for knowledge......and then see the FUN and Humor this site is known for?

Maybe reminder threads about new topics at BC here will get us the draw and allow old timers who used to post and come back can easily find us.

And remember....once 'WE' leave, this site will end overtime.
'WE' are the blood.
The sites just the body.
No blood, no need for body.

Bad first impression if you come here and get sent there just to re-read what you just read here.

Soon for practice you may want to post a topic here and everyone post a comment/idea at BC even if it's just, "I agree".
We get the 'habit' going and it's hard to stop.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.