Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-21-08, 11:09 PM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Angry C-rig problems

Well I tried using a Crig tonight. It worked pretty well for a few casts. I could feel the structure and thought that this could work. That is until the line kept twisting around itself around the swivel, weight, and glass bead. I was using 30 lb braid (because it was on the reel) as the main line with 8 lb cajun red as the leader. I was also using a 1/4 oz weight. After about 4 casts, the line knotted up, I untied it and tried it again. This time the knot was pretty bad and it was too dark to try and untie. The weight and hook seemed to be twirling during the cast.
Am I doing something wrong during my cast?
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 11:17 PM   #2
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Throwing that rig is like tying a uni knot- after awhile it become second nature. Remember to "throw the weight, not the bait". Also, give yourself plenty of line between the top guide and the weight. That will allow you to sling that sucker a fur distance without having the rig jap-slap itself into knots. Hope that helps!
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 12:17 AM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pignjig View Post
Throwing that rig is like tying a uni knot- after awhile it become second nature. Remember to "throw the weight, not the bait". Also, give yourself plenty of line between the top guide and the weight. That will allow you to sling that sucker a fur distance without having the rig jap-slap itself into knots. Hope that helps!
i agree with pig, a lot of your problems are probably in the way you are casting the rig. although just for giggles, are you sure your swivel was working? make sure it isn't rusted or bent to the point of not letting it rotate because this will cause a lot of problems with line twist also. but it shouldn't have too much to do with the line wrapping over the swivel so it's probably in the way you are casting it like the wise swine said.
Old 07-22-08, 09:35 AM   #4
Fishnngolfn

The swivel is working. It just seems like the whole setup from the weight to the hook starts to helicopter (if you know what I mean). Also, should I be using a smaller weight than a 1/4 oz? I have a 3/0 ewg gammy hook with a 6 inch zom lizard on the end. It is on a 24 inch leader.
Old 07-23-08, 12:03 AM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
The swivel is working. It just seems like the whole setup from the weight to the hook starts to helicopter (if you know what I mean). Also, should I be using a smaller weight than a 1/4 oz? I have a 3/0 ewg gammy hook with a 6 inch zom lizard on the end. It is on a 24 inch leader.
chances are it is in the way you are casting it like pig mentioned above. try more of a lob cast and see if that helps. it shouldn't have anything to do with how heavy your weight is. i throw weights that range from 1/4 oz. to 3/4 oz. and don't have this problem.
Old 07-23-08, 12:10 AM   #6
Rebbasser

Quote:
Also, should I be using a smaller weight than a 1/4 oz?
Just the opposite-I'd go heavier. I never throw less than a 1/2 oz., and usually I have 3/4 on the line. I use a Lindy Rattlin' No snagg sinker most of the time, but if I use regular weights I use tungsten-big for the weight and a smaller one in place of a bead. Makes for a louder click.
Old 07-23-08, 08:50 AM   #7
Fishnngolfn

I noticed that after each cast (that didn't knot up), I had a tremendous amount of junk (dirt, weeds, etc.) on the weight, bead and swivel. I am using an egg shaped weight. Is this common with carolina rigs?
Old 07-23-08, 09:20 AM   #8
Fish2win

1/4 oz is more like a split shot rig than a C rig. I use 1/2 or larger. many of the pros use 1 to 1 1/2 oz. I have also been using braid but plan on going back to mono for my main line. You will know why if you hang up your weight. I like the lingy snaghless weights like reb. they appear a little expensive until you use one. They are extremely snagless. Throw them in rocks or brush they will usually come through them. If one does hang it is hung. Adjust the length of your leader to compensate the depth the fish are suspended off the bottom. This rig was developed in Carolina for fishing in grass where the bait could suspend over the top of the grass. It has evoloved to be used for many more applications but still works best when the fish are suspended 1 to 4 feet off the bottom.
Dont give up on it and dont over complicate it. weight, bead, swivel, leader, hook. Drag instead of hop. Fish2win
Old 07-23-08, 09:26 AM   #9
pignjig

The crig will hoover up whatever bottom cover you're pulling it through. However, if you're not fishing rock or gravel, a bullet or mojo style weight will go through weeds better. Also, what rod are you using? If it's the Ugly Stick or one with a lot of flex, then you're doing the right thng with the lighter weight. Heavy lead, a lot of flex and reduced sensitivity may limit being able to detect between a strike and "resistance" from things like weeds and such. Oh, yah...forgot to add that Reb and Fish are dead on about the Lindy weight. It's one of the few things in this world that does what it says it will. Good luck!
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-08, 01:31 PM   #10
BassinBandit

Hey Guys, this is one thing I know I have got to learn, We get slammed at Douglas Lake in TN every year because I dont know the feel for it. I have learned to use a texas rig really well but I can't seem to figure out the feel for a carolina rig. Thats why I have a hard time having any confidence in it. Any suggestions on what I can do I know if I can just get a hit on 1 time I know I can figure it out and be more confident in it but I have tried and still cant seem to figure out if I am doing everything correct.
Old 10-17-08, 02:33 PM   #11
alumacraftmvtek
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to alumacraftmvtek

hey bassinbandit, slow and steady, plus a plastic you have faith in. I like just about any nuetral or dark color lizard preferable zoom green pumpkin or dark blue. I have been trying a zoom speed crawl on it but no luck on that yet. Try those two on smith mtn. Park the boat in about 25' water then cast in and across the point. Just hold on once you set the hook. To me the bite feels just like one on a texas rig. 80% time it is gonna be a good un. Just bring plenty of snacks bites are far and few between. And use your choice of chanel No 5(stink bait) i prefer yum crawdad
alumacraftmvtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-08, 04:38 PM   #12
Jim80

You could also try tying a jig on in place of your weight , alot of times the fish peck at the weight and this method helps increase hook ups .

Jim
Old 10-17-08, 07:44 PM   #13
zooker

when i c-rig i use 1/2oz egg sinker weights rarely anything bigger or smaller. i always rig a 3/0 hook lenth of leader between 18" early till june than go 36". early in the day always a lizard later in the day french fry or trick worm..i normally rig with a ball bearing swivel.

i do get a ball up on occasion with the line. this stems from the bait hitting the water first behind the weight. in other words the bait is between you and the weight...

zooker
Old 10-18-08, 08:52 AM   #14
BassinBandit

Thanks for the information. This is the next technique I really want to try and learn, hopefully I can get my fishing partner to slow down so we can. But in my boat I should be good.
Old 10-18-08, 10:25 AM   #15
woody

I was gonna say you should try using a heavyier egg sinker. I use a whole ounce, this reassures that your C-rig stays in contact with the bottom. Thats why its called " fishing with the ball and chain" good luck
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-08, 11:44 PM   #16
Tall

Well no expert here, but I took a several years break from fishing and I was having the same problem when I started back this summer with the c-rig. Well my fishing partner after I got discussed with my c-rig and went to fishing something else, he picked the c rig pole up and he had several casts in a row without a problem.

Well paying attention how he was casting and my casts I discovered I was sling shoting or like using the bend in the pole to sling it out there, where he was more one slow casting motion not putting much bend in the pole at all.

Well for the most part that solved most of my problem till I would forget and whiped it out there again. Not only was the tangle a problem but a bird nest was much more likely to occur with the whipping action and the bait whirling around the swivel on the throw. Distance was not a problem, I just had to focus on a smooth cast and not using the rod to help on distance like I would on a crank or spinner bait. I definently could feel and see the difference on how the end of the line with the bait reacted to not whipping it and getting it to whirl at the swivel as much.

Just my experience on learning to cast the c-rig this summer.

By the way on my next trip I caught a #8.64 and #4.54 large mouth on the c-rig at night casting in the dark. Now I did switch to #20 fluorocarbon, but not for sure that had much effect because a couple of times I forget and whipped it using the rod bend and had problems with loose line on the reel like it was going at different speeds when the bait was whipping and whirling around the swivel or so it seemed anyway and did seem to tangle too. This was on a baitcasting reel. I have since used the c rig on a spinning reel in the slow using my arms motion not getting much bend in the pole and not using my wrists was helpful on keeping my line from not whipping/swirling around as much and tangling as well.

By the way one of the firefighters I work with that fishes a lot of tournaments said I needed to switch to tungston weight for the best feel. Well they are not cheap but I bought some to try because I had already did a lot of research on the net hence finding this site looking for information and one pro said the first time he used the tungston weight he jerked all day long because you could feel so much better and more with them. I was very surprised at how much you can feel with them with fluorocarbon line. So it is not a must, but a certainly an aid in feel on light hits I think.

I hope this helps or at least gives you something to watch when you cast to see if there are any simular effects.

Last edited by Tall; 10-27-08 at 12:10 AM.
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 01:37 PM   #17
Bob Smith

Quote:
I use anywhere from a 3/4 oz to a 1 oz weight on my C-rig. That will solve your casting problems and give you a much greater feel of the bottom content. One of the greatest attributes of a C-rig is to telegraph the bottom content to your hands. Once you feel that "harder bottom", rock or shell, It's time to slow down and let Mama-sow do her thing!
Old 10-30-08, 09:18 AM   #18
Fish2win

Bob makes agreat point. I have used the C-Rig as a search bait. It has helped me pin-point off shore structure on humps or drops.
Bandit, At Douglas in the spring use a cherry seed or electric red 6 inch Zoom lizard on the rig. This is very true in the creeks on the lower end like McGuire or Flatt Creeks. Often however these spring C Rig bass at Douglas are not the hogs you are looking for but there numbers are great.

One point I have not read here. Adjust your hook for the amount of hieght you want your bait to lift off the bottom. A 3.0 or 4.0 forged hook is much heavier than a 2.o wire hook. After the spawn when the females drop back to rest it can be possible to catch them by using a longer leader and a light hook in order to present the bait where they are suspended.

Lizards work in East Tennessee from early spring until late fall. Once the lizards start to lay there eggs early the bass will hit them. These lakes are full op salamanders and craws.I have one fishing freind that only uses lizards regardless of the rigging method.
Fish2win
Old 10-30-08, 02:00 PM   #19
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Just the opposite-I'd go heavier. I never throw less than a 1/2 oz., and usually I have 3/4 on the line. I use a Lindy Rattlin' No snagg sinker most of the time, but if I use regular weights I use tungsten-big for the weight and a smaller one in place of a bead. Makes for a louder click.
I agree with the REB on this one. Second is limp braid used in conjuction with stiff mono. Yes you can throw it with braid. But it will knot up easior as well. I use all mono on the C-rig. Leador is stiff so is the main line. Cast the 2 & see for yourself the difference in the cast. The proof is in the pudding.
Old 10-30-08, 02:18 PM   #20
mont_lunker_hunter

I don't know if this has been mentioned (I got tired of reading about halfway), but another trick you can do to prevent "ball ups" is to stop the spool abruptly right before the rig hits. This will "jerk" any tangled line over the weight usually. It will sometimes make a heavier splash, but if you're using larger weight it's gonna do that anyway. I usually watch the rig as it's cast and if i see that it may be wrapped i'll "jerk" it free.
Old 10-30-08, 07:27 PM   #21
Bobby
BassFishin.Com Member

Don't know how to tie a carolina rig yet. Any info or instructions on the bassfishin site i'm new here have not explored much yet

Last edited by Bobby; 10-30-08 at 07:51 PM.
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 08:09 PM   #22
Bob Smith

Bobby, your gonna have to put the catfish stuff down for a while and join the crowd here. Ask a question and it will most certainly get an answer!
Old 10-30-08, 11:17 PM   #23
Bobby
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
Bobby, your gonna have to put the catfish stuff down for a while and join the crowd here. Ask a question and it will most certainly get an answer!
Ok i'm new here and have not fully explored the home site. Are there instructions on how to tie a Crig on the home site? I have never tried to do it. Useualy fish for cats you know that. When bass fishing I almost always use rattle traps or buzz baits. Caught a nice bass by my bass fishing standards at Fork was around 4 lb my biggest bass ever(rattle trap) also caught a channel cat over 8 lbs (punch bait).l've Been trying to get better at bass fishing. I want a biggun keep hearing that Crigs are the way to go at Fork. And how ya doing Bob? Did you retire? And are the peaches in Georgia as good as everyone sais they are?

Last edited by Bobby; 10-30-08 at 11:28 PM.
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-08, 08:02 AM   #24
Bob Smith

Retire? I wish! LOL Boeing moved me over here last year (2007)! Those peaches ain't all they're cracked up to be but the boiled peanuts sure are good!!
Bobby, I will try to get an illustration or some pictures together of a typical Carolina Rig that you can use. Give me a little time (a couple of days). I am sure someone will post something in the meanwhile. This group of guys are really good at coming up with all kinds of information.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.