Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 10-16-08, 04:09 PM   #1
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default MINI Spinnerbaits!!!

I went fishing this past weekend and it was slow, we where throwing everything at them, however, nothing...i then remembered a fishing episode and i figured to give what i heard a try.....the son was coming out and i got laughed at when i pulled a minispinnerbait out, they said it would never work and called me stupid, however, once i threw it in i had 4 straight bites, all of them one and a half pounds and up, and by the end of the day it was 7 for me and 1, which came off of luck when he was fishing for brim and it was a baby....they werent huge but one was around 4 pounds.....what is your thoughts on mini spinnerbaits, i am going to try them again this weekend...have anyone treid this and was it successful....thoughts anyone
jcw1503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-08, 04:37 PM   #2
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Whatever works for you that day. I have had days (last night in fact) that a bait would only work for the first 1 or 2 fish. I would catch 1 or 2 fish off a certain plastic and then nothing for 15 minutes. I would switch bait and throw in the same spot and bang. then nothing again for 15 minutes. I ended up changing my plastics out every 5 to 10 minutes. I ended up with around 8 (1.5 pounders or less) fish total. I am certain that I would have ended up with just 2 if I never changed out my first plastic.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-08, 04:56 PM   #3
Jim80

Spinnerbaits are one of my favorite baits to tie on , in almost any condition .

Jim
Old 10-16-08, 05:17 PM   #4
doc

I dont have much luck with spinnerbaits, I just dont feel confident while fishing them.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-08, 05:41 PM   #5
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I dont have much luck with spinnerbaits, I just dont feel confident while fishing them.
One of my friends is the same way . He even went as far as to tell me that there were to many weeds in his fishing spot for me to throw a spinner there . Well four casts and two fish later he was dumb founded and I had a good laugh about it . But i feel the same way about swim baits just can't bring myself to tie one on .

Jim
Old 10-16-08, 06:23 PM   #6
3dkicker

1/8 and 1/16 oz spinnerbaits can catch fish. I like the small Mann's Wedge with double blades. I've got a couple and will break them out if needed. Had a partner catch 6 or 8 one day off of one laydown and I couldn't get a bite. Switched up and picked up a couple myself.
Old 10-16-08, 07:18 PM   #7
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've done pretty well with small spinnerbaits, especially in early summer when there is are so many young fish that the bass are feeding on. Match the hatch they always say.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-08, 07:24 PM   #8
mariner

the best spinner baits i have ever used are these
http://members.aol.com/__121b_6EG3R0...YcJ8/Bb54M7Cxz
they are by far the best
i dont know for rite now but he goes down to goosepond for all of october and sellsthem there, i hope he is there when we go down friday\

chartruse shad double willowleaf blades are the best
Old 10-16-08, 10:21 PM   #9
bamabassman

not just mini spinners..but mini buzzes too!!! i use mini spinners and buzzes alot when i want to just catch some fish. rooster tails are great as well. wife caught a nice pounder tonight ofa mini buzz.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-08, 11:51 PM   #10
scrap
BassFishin.Com Active Member

for those that haven't tried spinnerbaits or buzzbaits. you are missing out on a lot of good fishing. i was skeptical about buzzbait fishing but i tied one on a high speed reel (6.1) or better and threw it out and reeled it back. soon the pieces started to fall into place. i was catching fish. same thing now with spinnerbaits. a friend told me a double willow white spinnerbait was the ticket. i threw it out today on a whim and after about five or six casts. kazaam. i hooked a largemouth about 12 inches. you have to throw it out there five, six, seven, ten times. the vibrations and color call the fish in. they have to find the bait first. once or twice may tweak their interest, but they have to find it, smell it, see it, to latch onto it. smell and see and may not be exactly the case, but they do have to sense something in the water, whether it is food or an enemy, or just makes em mad. bottom line, use em.
i start with little ones and work up. 1/8 oz, 3/8, etc. try em.
it will be a new perspective to the sport. now i am working on the rapala xrap..learning how use it. later.

Last edited by scrap; 10-16-08 at 11:53 PM. Reason: grammatically incorrect, correct a thought
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-08, 09:23 AM   #11
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
it will be a new perspective to the sport. now i am working on the rapala xrap..learning how use it. later.

Now that is something I have confidence in. I caught the hog in my avitar on a xrap in Febuary. 10.4
Old 10-17-08, 09:25 AM   #12
jcw1503

any advice on how to use the xrap?
Old 10-17-08, 09:37 AM   #13
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw1503 View Post
any advice on how to use the xrap?
With your rod low to the water give it a Pop, Pop, Pop, pause Pop. Pop of the rod. If that doesn't trigger strikes, keep the rod low, and use longer sweeping motions, and pause in between. The sweeping of the rod is what caught me hogmozilla in the pre-spawn.

They really are great baits, and offer something a little diffferent than a traditional jerkbait.
Old 10-17-08, 09:39 AM   #14
jcw1503

interesting...thanks doc for the advice...any suggestions on types...color brand name, size etc.
Old 10-17-08, 09:51 AM   #15
doc

I like the original rapa x-raps. I don't know the specific color pattern but the red/silver with a black back is my favorite. I have some of the smaller I think 4 Inches, but haven't had the luck on them like I have the Original.
Old 10-17-08, 09:54 AM   #16
jcw1503

nice...thanks...what weather or time of day if any are they best in, or is it any time..
Old 10-17-08, 10:01 AM   #17
doc

Pre-spawn and late in the Fall are my favorites, but Im sure you can catch them anytime. Just speed up or slow down your retrieve depending on water temp. If it is in the high 50s or low 60s I let it set a while between pops, or sweeps.
Old 10-17-08, 10:08 AM   #18
jcw1503

ok i will try it this weekend, let you know.....
Old 10-17-08, 12:41 PM   #19
Flippy
BassFishin.Com Member

my favorite mini is a 1/8 rooster tail white blade/hair with a silver body just recently put about 25 in the boat. i was fishin the back of the main creeks on my lake
Old 10-17-08, 12:55 PM   #20
zooker

1/8 oz manns or strike king mini kings.. i throw them quite a bit.. i do prefure 3/8oz which i throw an obseen amount with..

ideal time
to use a 1/8 oz white one, make sure it has a #2-3 willow blade on it.add trailer hook.. clear water, no cloud cover, no wind, no problem. smoke it in the shade thrown by docks. they will bite it.. trust me...

zooker
Old 10-22-08, 12:01 PM   #21
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw1503 View Post
ok i will try it this weekend, let you know.....

any luck?....
Old 10-22-08, 12:59 PM   #22
jcw1503

It did ok, not as good as the first time, it was still slow again and no one was catching anything...so i decided to put my lucjy mini on...i caught one after about 10 casts throughout the lake....but then one of the other fishermen tried to cast in my area instead of his and hit my rod and there went the spinnerbait into the trees...i lost my lucky one...i caught on a similar color but it took a while.....anyways there was only 4 fish caught all day and two came from the minis, one a worm, and another on a rapa x-raps red/silver/black, good color advice doc....hopefully, we get better action this weekend!!!!
Old 10-22-08, 06:17 PM   #23
bamabassman

he did replace your spinner right? if not.. he should.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-08, 09:21 PM   #24
kicking bass
BassFishin.Com Member

It doesn't always work but I like to think of my lucky lure as the one I using at the time.
Old 10-24-08, 11:09 PM   #25
Nitro911

I fished a tournament on a highly pressured lake one summer (100 degree air temp) and was having a tough time getting bit. Out of desperation, I tied a Beetle Spin onto a spinning rod. Wound up third overall, catching all of my fish on that rig.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.