Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-09, 10:02 AM   #1
ub2m4
BassFishin.Com Member

Default spinnerbaits??????

I am really starting to enjoy spinnerbait fishing. My question is how and when to use the different blade combinations ie, willow, double willow, tandem willow and colorado. Not to mention blade colors, gold,nickel brass, bronze. Then come the skirt colors. I don't mind switching up in different situations, but would like to have some basics. Thanks in advance.
ub2m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 10:09 AM   #2
damian2b
BassFishin.Com Active Member

great call....i like the idea of throwing spinners and have a couple and want to start using them more. what are the basics?
Old 09-04-09, 10:55 AM   #3
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

spinnerbaits are one of my favorites........the idea is the whole big bait chasing little bait.
i use spinnerbaits as a search lure.....you can cover water quickly with them and theres no wrong way to fish em....burn em or slow turn em,or medium....pause em,etc
they are great baits all year round....especially working them outside or over grass,reeds,stumps,docks,and other coverage...i usually start every ''new''spot i come to with a spinnerbait to see and feel with what im dealling with..

the blades on the spinnerbaits will help determine how there fished.....usually in still water,a colorado blade is used.....in choppy water,a willow leaf might be the better application to cut through and run a little deeper,....however i use willow leafs in about every type of water.....the indiana blade is the blade between the two...more of a tear drop shape....apparantly a colorado blade creates more vibration.....the indiana creates more flash.

i usually modify my spinners by adding a smaller second blade on the wire...using a clevice for the blade and steel beads for that to sit and turn on......i usually opt for a a larger willow leaf blade on top with a small crane or barrel swivel.and a smaller colorado blade on the clevice below that for more vibration........whether or not its better is really an opinion....it just makes me feel more confident with it

as far as blade color.....theres alot of varibles there that i really dont understand myself......i tend to stick with silver to immatate shad on my white,blk,and red skirts.....and i use gold on my chartreuse & firetiger colored ones
theres probably someone else to answer that better.

as far as skirts goes....bleeding white,blk/blue,firetiger,chart/blue,shad,golden shiner......are my favorites...ive recently gotten into making my own combinations,but have yet to try them out.

also adding a chunk or other trailers ,or rattles are great ways to modify them...

blk & blue is my personal all around favorite producer.
Old 09-04-09, 11:17 AM   #4
fishen green
BassFishin.Com Member

Great description Waffle.
I must say that in addition to spinner I am hooked on chatter baits they produce a massive vibration and adding a rattle really helps their return is also erratic like a darting bait fish.
they can be fished in the same manner but they struggle in the weeds more but more times then not if their are two of us in the boat and we are both fishing the same type (spinner, chatter) the guys i am with ask to barrow one. my favorite is white with a red stripe and silver.
fishen green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 12:03 PM   #5
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Clear water

As far as color, and blades sizes, I like chartreuse for most conditions, if the water is super clear I'll use a white skirt with some translucent skirt strands, silver blades are also better for clear water. It's nice to have flash strands for clear water too. ^^ There's a good example of one! A smaller 1/4 oz size is best.

Strained water

For colors in stained water with a visibility of 10 feet or less, I like chartreuse and white skirts, with no flash skirts strands, or translucent skirts strands. You need a bigger profile bait so the bass can find it better in the stained water, so a 3/8oz is what I use!

Chocolate, and murky water

When I fish murky, or Chocolate milk colored water, it's good to have spinnerbaits with florescent colors, such as red, yellow, chartreuse, and orange; the brighter the better! It really helps the bass see it a little better. You need a bigger profile bait so the bass can find it better in the muddy water -- even more so than in stained water, so a 1/2 oz is what I use!

So many blades so little time; The tree main blades

There are so many blades styles out now that it's hard to you which blade to use, for what conditions! As a general rule, the bigger the blade, the more flash, and vibration it emits.

Willow leaf blades!

Willow blades are the narrow blades, these ones give off much more flash than the bigger rounder, bulkier Colorado blade, and are much better for clear water, around thick grass. It's thinner blade design helps it glide through grass much more efficiently than any other blade I've used. The willow blades also give the bait a lager profile than a Colorado blade. Most of them time I use a number 4 - 4 1/2 size willow.

Colorado Blades!

The Colorado blade is a rounded, oval blade, it's short, yet wide. Because of these characteristics of a Colorado blade, it gives off much more vibration than a willow blade, but does not give nearly as much flash as one. The Colorado blade does not go through grass as well as a willow, it tends to get wrapped up better in the grass. Yet goes through wood and rock just fine! It's also a great blade waking! It displaces much, much more water than a willow, thus, giving off a bigger wake! Since it gives off less flash, and more vibration, it’s much more effective in murky water than willow blade.

Turtle shell/Indian blades

The Indian blade, aka the turtle shell blade, is like a willow blade, and a Colorado blade combined. However, I would say it's has the characteristics of a Colorado, more than it does a willow. It has a little more flash than a Colorado blade, and little less vibration than a Colorado blade. It works best in stained to murky water. Works well in thin grass, and goes through rock and wood fine.

Colored Blades and Blade colors

I never use different color blades, unless the water is really murky. Then I'll use a chartreuse, orange, or yellow. This way they fell the vibrations and see the colors. it just helps them hone in on it a little bit better.

I use gold blades in off colored water or when I'm trying to match blue gill. Otherwise, use silver blades, when matching shad, or in clear water.

Last edited by Bassboss; 09-04-09 at 12:13 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 12:29 PM   #6
sac

I knew you would be in here sooner or later Boss lol The kid knows his spinner info
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 12:15 PM   #7
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use gold colorado blades in off color water (muddy). For clear I water use willow leaf blades silver color.
Thats it.
Old 09-07-09, 06:23 PM   #8
abu4600

I like to fish spinnerbaits around any shallow cover I can find such as stumps, logs, trees or grass and I like to fish them fast too keeping them just under the water. For skirts if you stick with white, white/char, firetiger and blue/char you will be in good shape I think. You can also add a color to the bait too by adding a plastic trailer to it too. I like a silver/gold blade combo for all my spinnerbaits, but I fish a lot of dirty water, If you fish more clear water try more silver blades. BTW dont forget to use a trailer hook. Good Luck.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.