Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-14-12, 10:38 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Topwater bassin

I thought I would start this post as topwater bass fishing is in full swing in some parts of the country and on hold in other areas. The question I want to pose is when do you consider to be the start of topwater season? I'm sure it's different comparing southern bass waters to northern bass waters. I'm convinced that northern bass become agressive in water temps that are cooler than southern bass. Still, I really never try topwater untill at least after post spawn. Am I missing out on good topwater action? I've always viewed topwater as a warm water technique. The question is, what water temp would be the start of ideal topwater fishing?
Old 04-14-12, 10:53 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01

Generally I start using topwater once the water temp climbs into the 60's. This is when fish start moving shallow and have spawning on their minds. When fish are on beds a topwater bait worked right over their beds can be a great way to catch fish, especially if the water is too dirty to sight fish.
Old 04-14-12, 01:03 PM   #3
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Like Kory said usually around the 60 degree mark, but it has to be a steady 60 with warm nights to keep the water temp right if that makes any sense.
Old 04-14-12, 04:34 PM   #4
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMoJo View Post
Like Kory said usually around the 60 degree mark, but it has to be a steady 60 with warm nights to keep the water temp right if that makes any sense.
In these parts that makes lots of sense! It's common here this time of year to have daily highs near 70 with nightly lows in the 30's.
Old 04-14-12, 04:53 PM   #5
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Another factor to consider is not just water temperature, but weed growth. Here in Iowa, the lakes I fish usually don't see weeds until May. Without the weeds, the shallow water is pretty barren and there's not a lot of structure to hold fish. I normally fish top-waters around or over weeds.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-12, 05:25 PM   #6
BassMoJo

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
In these parts that makes lots of sense! It's common here this time of year to have daily highs near 70 with nightly lows in the 30's.
Same for me Keith you gain the temp during the day and lose it at sundown ...depressing
Old 04-14-12, 10:25 PM   #7
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I throw them as soon as I hear someone close by has gotten bites on them, waterboy
Actually, I feel the topwater starts or coincides with the spawning water temps. When the water in your area or mine, reaches the 'movement' temp, out come the poppers.
Poppers over beds....DEADLY!
Frogs late June because late weed growth around here too. Walk the dog types usually same time.
Old 04-15-12, 12:41 AM   #8
the pyromaniac

I've had largemouth and spotted bass hit topwater in January in Virginia....
the pyromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 12:59 AM   #9
Bassboss

I typically start fishing a buzzbait as soon as the grass gets to thick for a rattle trap... but unfortunately I think I'mg going to miss the crankbait bite 100% this year, I was down at the lake today and the grass is already starting to get pretty thick.

But I really love throwing a buzzbait. I'll throw it as long as I can... when the grass gets just a few inches above the surface to the point where the prop is always getting tangled. After that the buzz frog takes over!

As far as hard baits, I very rarely fish them for largemouth here.. I just havn't got them to bite any kind of hard top water with any kind of considerably here. In Florida however, they'll really wear ya down with a spook over grass beds in the mornings. River smallies on the other hand love a good topwater plug!
Old 04-15-12, 05:41 AM   #10
kennethdaysale

I prefer to begin fishing topwater well after post-spawn. Of course you can catch fish on them @ 50+ (the gentleman from Ky Lake often does).

Since your question contains the word ideal, I don't have topwaters tied on and on deck until surface water is mid 70's at dawn.

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 04-15-12 at 05:54 AM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 04:22 PM   #11
bigjim

ive always heard/thought it was when the water temps were above 80 for the best top water action
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 05:22 PM   #12
keithdog

Ok, well it looks like my old standard of waitting untill post spawn is fairly accurate. I think I'm going to try a topwater next time on the water anyway just to see if I can get any action on it. Probably a Spook. Water temps are probably in the low to mid 50's by now.
Old 04-15-12, 06:45 PM   #13
bassinbob

I've thrown buzzbaits in Feruary. Never had a hit. Seems around here the top bite starts with warm days and nights. Could be April or May. After June begins it starts pretty good around here.
Old 04-15-12, 07:01 PM   #14
lilmule

Only one month a year have I not caught a bass on top jan ,was 2 months broke feb in nicely since was warm.prespawn action is sometimes better than post,in spawn they tend to swirl on stuff to shoo it away.50 F seems to be the magic number for me for at least 1.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 07:25 PM   #15
AUFred

In Alabama I try topwater year around since I really enjoy the topwater bite. I have caught over 6 pounders on topwater in December. Of course we don't get "hard" water like up North.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 10:37 PM   #16
Mumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I prefer to begin fishing topwater well after post-spawn. Of course you can catch fish on them @ 50+ (the gentleman from Ky Lake often does).

Since your question contains the word ideal, I don't have topwaters tied on and on deck until surface water is mid 70's at dawn.
^^THIS^^

I don't start Topwater fishing until well after the spawn. I'm giving it another two weeks down here in Georgia before I start throwing Top Water Lures.

It'll be my luck that they'll start this week and I'll miss out on em for two weeks, hehe
Old 04-15-12, 10:44 PM   #17
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
ive always heard/thought it was when the water temps were above 80 for the best top water action
Yikes, I'm not sure we'll ever have either of those conditions all year long where I fish.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 11:24 PM   #18
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I thought I would start this post as topwater bass fishing is in full swing in some parts of the country and on hold in other areas. The question I want to pose is when do you consider to be the start of topwater season? I'm sure it's different comparing southern bass waters to northern bass waters. I'm convinced that northern bass become agressive in water temps that are cooler than southern bass. Still, I really never try topwater untill at least after post spawn. Am I missing out on good topwater action? I've always viewed topwater as a warm water technique. The question is, what water temp would be the start of ideal topwater fishing?
I agree, Keith. For me, the buzzers, pop-r's and frogs all come out right away on opening weekend (Memorial Day). The first two bass I caught last year on opening day were on a Pop-R and the water temp was 59 degrees. Ice had been out for one month at the time. I don't think that's "ideal" topwater time yet, though. I like topwater fishing a lot, so I try it all the time, but I think for me it's usually about late June before it's ideal. I'd guess water temps are in the upper 60s here by then.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 10:27 PM   #19
SaminVa

Keith, we've been trying for a few weeks.. This past Sunday my friend ca
ught one on a frog in the dollar pads, then towrd evening we tried a pop r type bait.
We caught at least 7 this size and larger... a few were spawners...
Water temp was 70* by the end of the day

Froggin Fish

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.