Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 03-23-05, 11:13 PM   #26
mikee051
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mikee051
Default Re: stop Terri Schiavo from being starved to death

[quote author=dodgeguy link=board=Tourneys;num=1111199989;start=0#17 date=03/22/05 at 05:45:32]master,if food is life support then we are all on life support.[/quote]

thats just an ignorant thing to say. i am not on life support in any shape or form. let me tell you why. because i can feed myself, and i can breath for myself. come to think of it, there isnt anything i can think of i cant do for myself. you are considered to be on life support when you cannot live without the support of another human being, that includes feeding tubes. someone has to hook the machine up and maintain it, keep it supplied with much needed food. otherwise you die. therefore what you just said is stupid and i suggest you rethink your whole view on this girl before you speak again.

mikee051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-05, 12:50 PM   #27
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

I HAVE TO WEIGH IN ON THIS ! ! !

My Father died of spinal cancer that moved into his brain and put him into a semi-vegetative state for about three months before he died. Prior to becoming semi-vetatative, he commented several times that he wished that he had killed himself before he got too weak to do so, because he did not wish to live like he was.
My Uncle (Fathers brother) developed throat cancer, and it had become inoperable before he was diagnosed. He was starved to death in a hospital because it was his wish not to be kept alive on feeding tubes. He was not uncomfortable at any time during the process, and I went to the hospital every night to see him. We discussed things that he had done as a child, places he and my Father had hunted and fished when they were growing up. etc. He was not aware of any need for food or water, due to the medication that was being put into his body thru IV's in his arm. During the last day, he halucinated for a few hours before he went into a short coma and died. At no time did he complain of being uncomfortable.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-05, 06:45 PM   #28
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to okefenokee010

OK Master, for the sake of arguement, you said that if you depend on someone to care for your feeding, you are on life support. Does that mean that if my wife and I choose not to feed our newborn son, that we are within our rights? He can't feed himself, he relies on us for everything. Is not feeding him just a decision we are allowed to make or is it murder? If it is murder, how is that any different than what they are doing to Terri Shiavo?

Oh, and we are feeding the boy. And he will be learning to fish as soon as he can hold a rod.
okefenokee010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-05, 11:29 PM   #29
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Now it looks like Michiael Schiavo won't be allowing his wife (a catholic) any communion on Easter Sunday, as well as not granting her any Last Rites. I know some of you don't want to label him as an "evil" or a "bad" person, but I don't care. He is plain and simple a sick person if he does not grant his wife which he starved to death any last wishes.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-05, 11:33 PM   #30
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

ya, his actions dont add up. i now think he is a evil, sick, sick, man. i do believe he abused her. he is a freak.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-05, 10:22 PM   #31
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

If I ever get into a vegetative state, then my closest friends know my wish: PUT ME OUT. What is the purpose of being in a vegetative state?

News: It has been about 15 years. Unless God pulls off a miracle, she is not going to recover. She will be like this until someone finally lets her go home to be with the Lord.

Why are Christians all over this? Instead of wasting money on laywers, go donate that money to a missionary. Satan can really use things such as this to draw people away from their purpose of serving the Lord.

Is creating a mob trying to save a person who is ESSENTIALLY DEAD more holy than praying the Lord's Will be done, and focusing on other people who need help?
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-05, 10:24 PM   #32
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

And aren't some of us quick to cast stones at her husband? You guys don't know whether he has done anything wrong.

He knows his wife is gone. He has a life to live. So do we. Let's do it.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-05, 11:02 PM   #33
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

lone, if he hasnt done anything wrong, why not let terris family see her? and why has he said no pictures of her since 3 years ago? and why does he not want a autopsy on her and for her to be cremated imediatly? all of this is a bit fishy to me.
Old 03-28-05, 08:57 PM   #34
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

All this ranting and raving over speculation. No one who listens to the press has the whole truth. The papers and newschannels only put what they feel is important in there. One channel may be liberal, one republican, one just off the rocker. Either way the producers edit and clip stories so it comes off in the twist they want, same with the papers. To bit@*, moan,groan and especially to pass judgement on others based on the news for info is whacked. Â*8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 12:51 AM   #35
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

well now he is permitting a autopsy. they say she will not live past friday. better that she be with the lord. i do wish that he would let her see her family.
Old 03-29-05, 06:21 PM   #36
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

Not to sound mean but what makes Terri Schiavo's case so important ???. My mom and dad both work in a Hospital setting and say these types of situations occur daily, people don't have their needs expressed in writing or to families and no one knows what the patients wishes are. My point is why is her case being publicized and not the millions of others that occur everyday, and yes it does happen everyday!

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 07:00 PM   #37
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i asked the same ? KY, i have no idea, but would like to know.
Old 03-29-05, 07:37 PM   #38
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

I think it got more hype than any other case because the press tends to absorb itself in one case every so often and because of it there will probably be some bill or law passed to state what is to happen if something like this occurs again. The Lacy Peterson case was just like that, the press clung onto it for some reason even though cases like that are fairly common. I also think that it is largely because they are rich white women, just my thought.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 09:41 PM   #39
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

I don't know about the whole situation, but it is very disturbing to think about the situation. I personally do not want to see anyone die.But if they rule that she has to go , I pray that she doesn't suffer and may she have an big influence on a decision for the next person who may be put in this situation,and not have to be put through what this has turned out to be.Its a terrible thing, no doubt. I am glad I am not in any position to have to judge whether she lives or dies, and I hope the people who are involved can live with the judgement they have handed down upon her. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 09:45 PM   #40
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

i don't mean to come off as cold hearted because i do feel bad for her but...this whole mess could have been avoided if she had a living will.i have one,so if i end up like that,i'll soonafter end up as flame broiled fish food in my favorite lake.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 09:51 PM   #41
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

[quote author=Kybasser link=board=Tourneys;num=1111199989;start=25#35 date=03/29/05 at 16:21:28]Not to sound mean but what makes Terri Schiavo's case so important ???. My mom and dad both work in a Hospital setting and say these types of situations occur daily, people don't have their needs expressed in writing or to families and no one knows what the patients wishes are. My point is why is her case being publicized and not the millions of others that occur everyday, and yes it does happen everyday!

Kybasser[/quote]
This is being publicized because the Florida legislature and governor got involved, as did the U.S. Congress and President. Terri is no more or less important than the other estimated 30,000 people who are in a similar state. Ultimately, its importance may be getting the subject out in the open and encouraging people to fill out living wills and health care proxies.

Quote:
The Lacy Peterson case was just like that, the press clung onto it for some reason even though cases like that are fairly common. I also think that it is largely because they are rich white women, just my thought.
That is correct. A couple of news organizations have looked at that and confirmed that there is much more publicity when victims are white and upscale.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 10:03 PM   #42
housework101
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to housework101

I would rather all the money and effort being put into keeping her in a vegitative state be spent on research for the condition that put her there.
Bolemea<sp>? seems to be a ever growing problem that effects many young women,my daughters tell me that many of there friends have it and dismiss it as no big deal ???
If nothing else I would like the press to make the fact she was bolemic,wich leads to extremly low potasium,wich leads to heart failure as public as possible and maybe save some young lady from the same fate.
housework101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-05, 01:06 AM   #43
socalbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to socalbasser

Quote:
The husband already spent over a million dollars to keep her alive.
Yeah, the money they won in a law suit from the hospitol when this happened to her. He ain't spent a dime of his own money, why do you think she's in Hospice care?

I agree she'll be better off in another place but not so sure I agree with the way they're getting her there. I know there's no other legal means of doing it but a feeding tube is by no means the same an extereme measure of life support as opposd to a respirator.

Just my opinion
Skeeter

Skeeter
socalbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-05, 04:08 PM   #44
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

Well sadly after 13 days she's gone. Better off yes but she didn't have to go that way. We can honor this lady by a moment of silence, or a little prayer, or have her in you thought for a day.

Good bye Terri Schiavo God bless you and have a spot in heaven for an angel like you.

I hope what has happend here will wake some people up and realize that no matter how bad off someone is they deserve their dignity.

Humbly Robert Millar.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-05, 06:21 PM   #45
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

she is now with the lord. god bless her.
Old 03-31-05, 07:43 PM   #46
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

[quote author=ROBZILLA link=board=Tourneys;num=1111199989;start=25#43 date=03/31/05 at 14:08:15]Well sadly after 13 days she's gone. Better off yes but she didn't have to go that way. We can honor this lady by a moment of silence, or a little prayer, or have her in you thought for a day.

Good bye Terri Schiavo God bless you and have a spot in heaven for an angel like you.

I hope what has happend here will wake some people up and realize that no matter how bad off someone is they deserve their dignity.

Humbly Robert Millar.[/quote]

well said man, well said
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-05, 07:49 PM   #47
Daiwa_Baitcaster
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Daiwa_Baitcaster

Least she is now not suffering

I know starvation is unethical,but she didnt deserve to live like that.Why be like that when once your dead and in the heavens,you are no longer like that.

Starving her wasnt right.They could have atleast given her an injection of something like arsenic or something that would put her out of her misery without starving her
Daiwa_Baitcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-05, 11:08 PM   #48
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

her dying any other way would have been illegal crappie.
Old 03-31-05, 11:54 PM   #49
Daiwa_Baitcaster
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Daiwa_Baitcaster

i know,but starvation is a fate worse than KGB torcher.Believe me.Ive had it happen. 32 hours on a marsh island.Noo fuel in the boat.No bait.NO nothing.I was ready to die
Daiwa_Baitcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-05, 01:58 AM   #50
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
her dying any other way would have been illegal crappie.
Slippery slope, fellas. Slippery slope. I'll bet we start hearing of a lot more of these cases. Sad state of affairs.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.