Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-05, 08:44 PM   #1
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52
Default Sun Burn

damn this stuff hurts! I went fishing 2 days strait, didnt put on sun block. Now, my face burns and my ears are blistered up. I learned my lesson, i think?
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-05, 09:30 PM   #2
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Re: Sun Burn

Hope you did. The sunburn right now is not what you need to worry about, its the longterm carcinogenic damage that is the real bummer. I'm getting better about taking care of my skin, I now wear a stetson type hat, long sleeve shirts and glasses and the rest of my exposed skin I cover with spf 45, but for about 5 years I would just go in a t-shirt and let the sun do its worst. I just hope I started taking cancer seriously early enough.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-05, 10:25 PM   #3
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Its kinda sick sometimes how far people will go to get a tan. They'll show up brick red all over... not worth it.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-05, 11:10 PM   #4
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

power
pour green tea cold over the burned area do not wipe off for 30-45 mintues stops the burn.

during the summer i wear a shirt from cabelas called guide gear it is very light and airy. i have found that it has to get over 100 before i roll up the sleeves. keeps the sun off quite well. i work outside so i am taned almost all year.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-05, 11:24 PM   #5
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

My face is burnt right now and my shoulders do hurt when i carry my purse. Next time, i will wear sunscreen. I wasnt even uncovered that long and it was windy all day.

Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-05, 11:46 PM   #6
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

power, it is hard to learn the lesson, at least for me, i have been seriously sunburned 3 times in my life, worst being a 3rd deggree burn on my back, talk about hurting....ouch, i had blisters the size of/or bigger then quarters on my back :P couldnt sleep on my back for a few weeks. that was just stupidity on my part, didnt put the sunscreeen on because i didnt think i would need it........wrong. and now i am sunburned, i put this sunscreen on, but i think it was bad, it was really watery and didnt keep me from gettin burned, its not bad tho. and to top it all off, im not even tan :P i just dont get tan for whatever reason, it suckes. im not that white tho, i have some color to me, not much tho.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 12:14 AM   #7
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

bf,
that sunburn with huge blisters definitely wasn't 3rd degree. 3rd degree is from an actual flame tat burns down your skin and starts to burn away tissue and muscle.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 09:20 AM   #8
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

thats what the docter said. who knows
Old 04-12-05, 07:27 PM   #9
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

Just remember that just because it is cloudy doesn't mean that you can't get sun burned, some of my worst sun burns have come on cloudy days :-/

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 07:52 PM   #10
southern_2
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to southern_2

man i got sunburned the other day real bad. It hurts like crap!!!
southern_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 08:28 PM   #11
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

BF02,
I went to a nascar race last year, and dint wear sunblock, came home, i had blisters the size of nickels on my face neck and back, i was lucky i didnt get sun poisoning. I couldnt lay on my back for 2 weeks or so. Anyways, one thing that always works good is a nice cool shower or a nice hawg on the end of the line. I forgot where i put my sunblock bottle, so i guess i wont be wearing any for a while.
Old 04-12-05, 08:54 PM   #12
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

let me tell you one thing, when you get blisters from the sunburn, DONT PUT SUNSCREEN ON. i did that cause i was gunna go out, and it hurt soooooooo bad, wow never felt something sting so bad, i learned a lesson there tho.
Old 04-12-05, 09:23 PM   #13
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

Usually much much easier just to put the block on!

Tip: If you're like me, then your face probably breaks out easily in some areas. If you don't want to put grease all over your face, look for sunscreen specifically designed for your face and lips.

It is non-greasy, which feels a little odd at first, but it works and doesn't make you break out.

Also, TIP: don't neglect to put sunscreen on your lips. Yes, your lips. Your lips can burn, and when they do, they feel VERY CHAPPED. Just put the stuff on, it is so much simpler!
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 09:46 PM   #14
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie

power, when i go out fishing i always wear stuff that covers my hole body. wear your waiters and a long sleeve shirt. i hope everone in here wears a hat when fishing.
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 10:33 PM   #15
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i have also had my lips burned. at the time, i didnt know i could get my lips burned. NJ, what are waiters? i think you mean waders
Old 04-15-05, 11:46 PM   #16
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

One word for the face: BULLFROG. Used this when I surfed on a regular basis. The best stuff on the market. Zook the guide gear is great, also use the columbia SPF clothing. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-05, 10:18 AM   #17
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

FIREMAN,
Â* Â* I will agree with the Bullfrog and the SPF clothing made by Columbia and Worldwide Sportsman. Longsleeved shirts feel like you have nothing on, and you can get a tan through it but not a burn. I would add that you should wear SPF 15 lip balm and a BOONIE hat instead of a ball cap. It don't look as cool as a ball cap, but it shades your face and ears. They were designed by the military for jungle and desert wear to protect GI's from the sun. I don't go out in the sun without it, even to mow the yard.
Â* Â* If you decide not to bother with the protection, you can make a yearly trip to the dermatologist and have the lesions froze off with liquid nitrogen (Minus 300 degrees fairenheight, burns like fire) like I have to do because I was a smart-*** know-it-all when I was young also! We did not have sunscreen back then, we used baby oil and iodine mixed to protect us from the sun. I didn't want to smell like baby oil so I did not use anything.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-05, 11:58 AM   #18
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

wow jack, no sunscreen back then, how old are you, 105? just kidding. i will probally have problems when i get older cause i am an idiot and never think i need it :P i use it now, ussually put it on 4-5 times thru the day. and i wear a hat, i need to get some of them clothes. i usually wear jeans on windy or cooler days, and black polyester gym shorts. and a white t-shirt, depending on wind and the temp, i will wear a hoody, or on the real cold days a jacket, and on the rainy days, a camo water resistant jacket.
Old 04-16-05, 05:41 PM   #19
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

I also feel the need to mention this:

Don't be decieved by temperature or clouds.

A cloudy day puts out about 90% of the UV rays that a sunny day puts out. Yes, that is plenty to give a nasty burn. Wear the sunscreen.

Temperature doesn't matter. It can be 0 degrees or 100 degrees, the UV rays don't care. Wear the sunscreen.
Old 04-16-05, 08:11 PM   #20
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

lone, on cold days people wear plenty of clothes. so sunscreen isnt as much as a problem. only the face really.
Old 04-17-05, 01:19 AM   #21
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

If y'all recall, a month or so back I had a kin cancer cut off my shoulder. Wear that susscreen!

fireman, I'm with you-BULLFROG! I keep a couple of bottles in the boat and use them religiously. That stuff is great for preventing burns. The spray is great because it doesn't get on your hands.

I also wear the SPF shirts-extremely light and comfortable.

To protect my neck and ears rather than a boonie hat that Jack reommends I use a bandana. Open it up, drape it over your head where it covers your ears and neck and then put your ball cap on-it holds the bandana in place. It may look a little goofy but so what? I ain't getting burnt.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-05, 01:23 AM   #22
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

i had 2 have 2 spots on my legs biopsied...fortunately they were nothing dangerous.
i'm trying to remember to put that stuff on.of course we're still wearing heavier clothes to fish right now.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-05, 10:07 AM   #23
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

today is gonna be 76 and sunny, its time for shorts and t shirts!
Old 04-17-05, 09:28 PM   #24
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

I'd love to go to Florida and wear shorts on what they call a cold day. ;D

I'm comfortable in them at about 50. I know people though who wear them year round.

If I was in Florida I would wear them year round, and I'd never put long sleeves on.
Old 04-17-05, 09:37 PM   #25
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

lone, it gets cold down here believe it or not. we have had highs in the mid to upper 30's down here. burrrrrrr!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.