Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-05, 03:09 AM   #1
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default This site could use a newby board.  

We get a lot of traffic at this site from beginers who are eager to learn about bass fishing and hence they ask a million questions that can grow tiring after a while.

Just think, if we had a board just for beginers, we could segregate the topics about reel color and the walking worm from topics that are a little more interesting to those who have been members for a while.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 06:11 AM   #2
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261
Default Re: This site could use a newby board. Â*

[move][glow=red,2,300] Can I get a HALALUYA[/glow] [/move]

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 09:38 AM   #3
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

All the newbies could learn to use the search option at the top of the page to search through all the topics on the board. Â*They will probably find all the discussion topics they need if they do that.
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 02:15 PM   #4
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Bassbooger you are asking too much of the newbies.

It seems like we are headed towards another downcycle in this forum.
Old 02-26-05, 02:24 PM   #5
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

Would u believe that i never even saw the search button until you mentioned it, wow, i feel like a dummy!!!
Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 03:33 PM   #6
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

If they would paruse the "ARTICLES" section of the site, they could learn a lot and would not have the time to ask questions for the next year!

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 05:56 PM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: This site could use a newby board.  

Yes and no. Yes because many of the newbies are young, and trying to get a grip just on the terminolgy alone. However we also have newbies, that are very experienced, and some possibly could even fish pro. So for those folks, it would be aggravating to sift through a bunch of newbie stuff. I have to agree with JackL though, when I was first came here and was asking so many of the same questions being asked now I recieved the same advice from JackL about the articles section, and it made a huge difference. So as I said right off, yes and no .

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 07:51 PM   #8
housework101
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to housework101

My son says you don't need a newbie section just a FAQ section.And a bulliten board for popular and informitive topics.He hosts and moderates several internet forums.[non fishing related ones]
Beats me I like it the way it is,as with most young people I feel most don't take the time to read before they ask questions.
I spent about two months reading this site before I even signed up and posted.
What hurts most forums more than newbies is posts like these,they make people feel unwanted.
housework101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 08:08 PM   #9
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I agree with herb-a newbie forum might make some folks feel unwanted, and that is not the kind of forum we want. Except for the skidmarks that show up from time to time posting absolute nonsense-those we can do without.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 09:40 PM   #10
bassfisher14

We have no problems with people asking questions. The only problem we have is people that do nothing BUT ask questions. We are all here to learn, share our knowledge and have a good time, but when you log on and there are 5 different posts from the same person and all they are doing is basically taking a poll it can get irritating. I am a member of another discussion forum and the owner has a poll feature on there. Maybe this is something Kevin can look into adding. Instead of just being able to post a question in a new topic, a poll can be set up where the person that created it can see the results and make their decision off of that.
Old 02-26-05, 11:05 PM   #11
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Herb, Reb, I'm sorry that is ridiculous. I am suggesting a board for a group of anglers that comprises probably 50% of the posts here. They may be in the majority, and yet by giving them their own place (that I'm sure we would all participate in) that is gonna make them feel unwanted?

What I'm suggesting would make this place run just a little smoother. It wont be as good as a full time moderator by any means, but it would be a step in the right direction.
Old 02-26-05, 11:21 PM   #12
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gallenl
Default Re: This site could use a newby board.  

The way i see it is,a newby should go through this wealth of info in here before they ask the same questions over and over.It's to bad the sight does'nt have a direct topic search for newbys to use...........or all of us for that matter.!

flippin4it

gallenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 11:38 PM   #13
housework101
BassFishin.Com Member

WTL I understand where your coming from,you do have a kid playing games right now on this site.To me you calling my opinion ridiculous puts you on the same level as that kid.I mean it's just an opinion and you know what they say about those

Why don't one of you guys that are always here ask Kevin about being a moderater???
It's not all that hard,I have done it on a racing forum.
It's either that or ignore him and hope he goes away.
Old 02-26-05, 11:56 PM   #14
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

It is my opinion that your former opinion was ridiculous. It is also my opinion that I do have a right to comment on others opinions here and vise versa. If you think I am as bad as that kid, well then that is your opinion, and yet another ridiculous opinion on your behalf at that. ;D

Herb, I don't know how long you have been coming here, but this kid is a recurring problem. Yea you can say ignore him, but I think among the 20 or so big time posters here about 80% of them have lashed out about this very same type issue before. I am just suggesting something different that may at least help.

I agree with your opinion that giving one of us, or a number of us (I could name a few names off the bat) the ability to moderate this place is the best idea. It is apparent that Kevin does not agree however. Like I've said, we've visited this issue many times before.
Old 02-27-05, 12:10 AM   #15
bassfisher14

[quote author=herb link=board=Tourneys;num=1109398186;start=0#12 date=02/26/05 at 21:38:09]
Why don't one of you guys that are always here ask Kevin about being a moderater???
It's not all that hard,I have done it on a racing forum.
It's either that or ignore him and hope he goes away.
[/quote]

We have tried this and Kevin will not appoint anyone to moderate except for himself. I have actually written to him and volunteered, but it didn't do any good. He has seemed to have gotten more active at watching the boards though. I noticed that some of the BS has been deleted, or moved to where it belongs.
Old 02-27-05, 12:14 AM   #16
housework101
BassFishin.Com Member

Huh,doesn't make much sense for a guy to turn down free help ???
Well you could always make it a one time pay registration site.Several forums are run that way,you send a registration form along with $5.00 or $10.00 bucks to the site host and he sends you back a password so you can log on.
Everyone can read forum but only registerd user's can post.it really sorts the rif raf.
Old 02-27-05, 12:18 AM   #17
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Well you can email him, you may be talking to the wall.

Does anybody think an online petition, signed by every guy (and gal) here would work?

We all just want this site to be better.
Old 02-27-05, 12:35 AM   #18
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

herb if this site wasnt free then i wouldnt be posting now. i am pretty sure that alot of others on this board wouldnt be here either. it sure would sort the rift raf tho. i just think that there should be some kind of banner that tells all newbies to read back in the posts before posting. i kno this may be a hassle to some of them but i would rather have one person being hassled or aggravated with it then have them post ?'s that have been answered millions of times.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 12:47 AM   #19
housework101
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah I understand,well anyway I for one am glad I stumbled across this site.
There is a ton of practical info that isn't cluttered with bias on this site,I like it.
It's to bad that a few will probably ruin it for many in the end.
I feel as though I already have said to much,seeing as how I am new here also so I will just read for awhile.
Old 02-27-05, 12:51 AM   #20
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Herb, I value your opinion. Its clear that you are gonna be one of the better variety of posters.
Old 02-27-05, 01:46 AM   #21
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

That's like when I joined tackle underground I did 200 hours of research before I even asked a question or touched a bait. I wish people would follow this method of research before they ask " wheres my butt hole question".

It's all here you just got to flip back through the pages and read. Most of the new guy's are lazy and want the questions given to them on a platter. Well I'm done answering the stupid questions.

If we can take the time to surff the web and research other sites, and bring the info here for people to better themselfs. I think a new guy cand flip back one page and find a post he just asked! :-/ And answer it for him self.

Robby. (the soap box king) lol
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 02:18 AM   #22
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

welcome herb.kevin does not communicate with anyone on the board.i can't blame him for wanting to run his own site.that said,there are a few boards around just for kids.example:http://www.fishnkids.com/.
a few of us have been on the verge of leaving this board because of the troublemakers.i for one have heeded the advice of others who came in here before me.be patient,they come and go.
i can usually spot the ones that are gonna be trouble so i ignore them.some i even wait till they make a few posts to give them the benefit of the doubt before i reply to one of their posts.
have a beer, relax...they'll be gone before you know it.
who gets the soapbox next?
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 11:27 AM   #23
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

The rate of new people here , I am not sure that the old posts cover the topics as well as they could have.I mean the new people may be new here but not to fishing. They may have an idea on a topic that haven't been thought of previously.The only really dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked because your afraid you will look stupid in the eyes of the members there.Different views can help everyone , not just the new people here. When I stop learning stuff here, then I will post a post saying that I quit,but don't hold your breathe until I do, I have learned something every time I am here. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 01:53 PM   #24
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
Why don't one of you guys that are always here ask Kevin about being a moderater
We have-many times.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 02:05 PM   #25
basstard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to basstard

:P theres a search button : opps
basstard is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.