Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 03-22-11, 07:22 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Seaguar InvizX vs. AbrazX?

I didn't want to highjack Burly's thread about flourocarbon, so I made my own.

Anyone notice allot of stretch in InvizX? I've heard from other people that they hate it because of stretch, they say more than some mono(?)! My dad was about to buy some yesterday at dicks, but I told him about the stretch. Would AbazX be better in the stretch department?

Any thoughts?
Old 03-22-11, 12:22 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

This is the chart from the test that another website did on FC lines, it is a little outdated, but does show that several FC lines had more stretch than the baseline 12lb Trilene XL.

FC Stretch Test Results: Products in red displayed the most stretch, while products in black showed the least. Some stretched even more after soaking for various lengths of time (color key at top of chart)
Old 03-22-11, 01:03 PM   #3
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Would AbazX be better in the stretch department?

Any thoughts?
I donīt think it will be better in the stretch department. Fluoro stretches, thatīs a fact, donīt want stretch ? ---> use braid.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 07:20 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

InvisX's stretch has a lot to do with how manageable it is, and the fact that it has better knot strength than many other FCs. Don't over complicate things, most FCs and Monos stretch.

Like Raul said, if you don't want stretch, go with braid.

BB
Old 03-22-11, 07:47 PM   #5
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
InvisX's stretch has a lot to do with how manageable it is, and the fact that it has better knot strength than many other FCs. Don't over complicate things, most FCs and Monos stretch.

Like Raul said, if you don't want stretch, go with braid.

BB

My problem with the stretch in InvizX and some other FC lines is that FC lines do not exhibit the same characteristics as mono. Mono line when stretched will return to its original shape (to a point) FC lines do not have this ability, when they are stretched they tend to remain deformed. Here is the chart that shows these properties as well.

FC lines, in my opinion are a trade off of different qualities, if you find one with good manageability, you sacrifice on many other qualities. The trick is to find one that has the qualities you are looking for and fish it.
I personally find that the FC lines are way over-hyped and that for the money it is hard to beat a good FC coated co-poly. I have not completely giving up on FC and I am planning on trying some P-line Halo, as it has a lot of the qualities that I am interested in.

Good luck finding the one that works for you.
Old 03-22-11, 07:55 PM   #6
Bassboss

Thanks so far guys. Good info! We have always a less manageable, more tough kinda family when it comes to fishin line! Manageability is the least of our concerns when it comes to line! Thanks for that chart tav!

I'm also curious to see (weather you've used either of the lines before, just based on their characteristics) would you opt for fishing worms, and jigs around thick weeds?
Old 03-22-11, 08:06 PM   #7
MIbasser

I use a line that I trust. I use 12lb FC for all my worm fishing in the weeds, in the open, around the wood and so on. I use 10 lb FC on my spinning rods for tubes and will double them up for wacky rig, and yes that is in the weeds as well.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 04:52 PM   #8
BigBurlyBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Talking

[QUOTE=Bassboss;333705]I didn't want to highjack Burly's thread about flourocarbon, so I made my own.

Anyone notice allot of stretch in InvizX? I've heard from other people that they hate it because of stretch, they say more than some mono(?)! My dad was about to buy some yesterday at dicks, but I told him about the stretch. Would AbazX be better in the stretch department?

Any thoughts

Thanks, haha, good one. More threads the better!

Also what about the stretch; this is a good topic Bassboss. Ya don't wan't a whole lot of stretch in fluorocarbon; cause if invizx has ALOT of stretch then I would rather have the abrazx but then does the abrazx have even more stretch?
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 05:07 PM   #9
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBurlyBass View Post
Thanks, haha, good one. More threads the better!

Also what about the stretch; this is a good topic Bassboss. Ya don't wan't a whole lot of stretch in fluorocarbon; cause if invizx has ALOT of stretch then I would rather have the abrazx but then does the abrazx have even more stretch?
That's one thing I'm trying to find out, maybe Kory will chime in!
Old 03-23-11, 05:08 PM   #10
BigBurlyBass

Yes good I will be interested to here the results!
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 06:58 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
That's one thing I'm trying to find out, maybe Kory will chime in!
I have no data to back up what I am about to say, this is just from my personal experience with both lines. I don't notice any stretch in AbrazX. For that matter I really can't say that I notice any with InvizX either though. I know what the research suggest and I am not arguing it, I am just amazed that they claim that flouro has more stretch than mono. I went away from mono for jigs and Texas rigs because when I would set the hook I could feel the stretch and I would lose fish due to not driving the hook home. But when I went to flourocarbon I honestly can't feel any stretch at all and my hooksets have been 100% better. My personal experience with the lines is that flouro has no where near the stretch that mono has, again I understand that experiements tell another story and I am not trying to argue that point.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 07:02 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Another point worth making is that I believe the heavier the line the less stretch you are going to get. It would make sense that if you pull with say 10lbs of force on 12lb test line it will stretch more than if you pull with the same force on 17lb test line. I use 15lb test AbrazX for jigs and Texas rigs and I use 17lb Sufix Elite on everything that gets mono. I do use 6lb and 8lb InvizX for shaky heads and dropshots and I don't notice stretch with either of them but I don't give big time haymaker hooksets with this line either, maybe that is why I don't notice it.
Old 03-23-11, 07:39 PM   #13
Bassboss

Interesting stuff Kory, thanks for the input. Do you notice a sensitivity difference in the lines? Or is it the same thing with stretch.. you don't notice much difference.
Old 03-23-11, 07:58 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Fluorocarbon is more sensitive because it is denser than mono, not because of stretch. Or at least that's how I see it.

BB
Old 03-23-11, 08:01 PM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Fluorocarbon is more sensitive because it is denser than mono, not because of stretch. Or at least that's how I see it.

BB
I've heard that too. But I also find it to have less stretch. I think their's probably contributing factor to fluorocarbons sensitivity.

Kory, I've also noticed less stretch in higher pound test lines.

Last edited by Bassboss; 03-23-11 at 08:40 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 08:24 PM   #16
Jim80

Boss for the invizx i use i really haven't noticed to much stretch , but I also main use 20lb and 17lb test on my casting reels , and my spinning reel is spooled with 10lb but no issues with that either .

Jim
Old 03-23-11, 10:06 PM   #17
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Interesting stuff Kory, thanks for the input. Do you notice a sensitivity difference in the lines? Or is it the same thing with stretch.. you don't notice much difference.
There is a huge difference between the two lines in the sensitivity department. With flourocarbon you can feel so much more than you can with mono. I joke with people that haven't used flouro before and tell them I can drag a jig across a beer can and tell you what brand it is lol. In my opinion with any technique that you need to feel things like light bites or bottom composition flouro or braid is the way to go, and I personally don't like braid that much. I haven't used any copoly lines for techniques that require a lot of feel so I can't say if they fit the bill as well or not.
Old 04-05-11, 10:38 AM   #18
IowaBasser

Interesting stuff! I love the sensativity of Berkly Fireline or spider wire. Typically, I'm fishing lighter line: 10# to 12# on almost everything. I have a couple of reels spooled with 8# trilene XL, or XT for small-mouth fishing a favorite clear rocky river. It makes sense that the lighter test weight monofilament lines have more stretch. It also makes sense that Flurocarbon has similar stretch properties to mono, yet can be more sensative because of it's density. I'm planning on trying fluro-carbon this spring for the first time. I was leaning towards InvizX or AbrazX, but after seeing the test results might go with P-line.

Kinda an off-topic question; but I hear a lot of people fishing braided line with a flurocarbon leader. How long of leader does everyone use?
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 12:30 PM   #19
doc

Just a note but I've read somewhere that the "stretch" of floro is not like that of mono. Mono is more of an elastic stretch, where as floro you will get the initial stretch (when the line is new, but it does not have the elastic quality that floro does.) Meaning that your floro will only stretch good 1 time. Thats why floro is sooo much more sensitive than mono. The line doesn't hold the elasticity.

On another note, I use seaugar vinisx and abrazx both, I use 12lb ivisx on my med/heavy and 15lb abrazx on my heavy action. Has anyone else noticed the abrazx breaking on hooksets? It seems one out of about every 10 or so hooksets my line just breaks, it looks like it explodes (becomes all frayed). I retie, and check my line for nicks. I have never had the 12lb invisx do this, and the problem has happend over multiple spools of abrazx. I'm thinking about switching to 20lb invisx for my heavy action and see if it is any better.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 05:10 PM   #20
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBasser View Post
Kinda an off-topic question; but I hear a lot of people fishing braided line with a flurocarbon leader. How long of leader does everyone use?
I plan on using a 7 foot leader most of the time this season. I plan to do a lot of river wadding and want to be able to retie plenty of times for having to retie a new leader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Just a note but I've read somewhere that the "stretch" of floro is not like that of mono. Mono is more of an elastic stretch, where as floro you will get the initial stretch (when the line is new, but it does not have the elastic quality that floro does.) Meaning that your floro will only stretch good 1 time. Thats why floro is sooo much more sensitive than mono. The line doesn't hold the elasticity.

On another note, I use seaugar vinisx and abrazx both, I use 12lb ivisx on my med/heavy and 15lb abrazx on my heavy action. Has anyone else noticed the abrazx breaking on hooksets? It seems one out of about every 10 or so hooksets my line just breaks, it looks like it explodes (becomes all frayed). I retie, and check my line for nicks. I have never had the 12lb invisx do this, and the problem has happend over multiple spools of abrazx. I'm thinking about switching to 20lb invisx for my heavy action and see if it is any better.
That's interesting stuff ya got there doc. That would definitely make scene as to another reason flouro is more sensitive than mono.
Old 04-05-11, 05:23 PM   #21
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post

I haven't had anything like that happen to me (knock on wood). I do remember a post a while back where Kevin said he had some issues with a few smaller spools of AbrazX. I can't remember exactly what problem he was having but I think it was similiar to what you had happen. I buy my line in 1,000 yard spools and haven't had any problems and if I remember right Kevin said he didn't have any trouble with his 1,000 yard spools either. It may have been a bad run of the smaller spools but no matter what the reason that should never happen considering how much they charge for that stuff.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.