Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-27-06, 07:21 PM   #1
AKM
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Help me spend my $100.00 Bass Pro Shops Gift Certificate

I was thinking of spending the $100.00 on Spinnerbaits and Jigs.I have very few Spinnerbaits and NO Jigs.I fish in what is best described as murkey water.What brands are best?What colors are best?What about trailers?Also,what does "Colorado Blades" and what does "Willow Leaf" blades look like?Thanks.
AKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-06, 07:37 PM   #2
RatLTrap
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to RatLTrap

Jigs are the bomb.

I like using black/blue with YUM craw as a trailer, it works great
Old 12-27-06, 07:39 PM   #3
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would say go for it as long as you don't need anything else.....get some of those tungeston jigs...they rock!
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-06, 09:30 PM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

OK,

I would suggest buying inexspensive jigs, and spinnerbaits. Then buy what you usually fish with and catch fish. If you don't know the difference between the blades, then you are obviously new to them. Instead of spending $100 on stuff you may hate, and think will never catch a fish, then spend a little on them, and learn them better, and spend a lot on what you use, or line/hooks/worms. All the stuff you do use a lot. Just my opinion. If you still need help on spending it, then I'll send you my address and a list of stuff I need LOL.

Lizards
Old 12-27-06, 10:08 PM   #5
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

I'll second Lizards's wise words, get a few of the BPS brand spinnerbaits and jigs, and give them a whirl, also get a really nice Lucky Craft or something, and spend the rest on terminal tackle
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-06, 11:49 PM   #6
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKM View Post
I was thinking of spending the $100.00 on Spinnerbaits and Jigs.I have very few Spinnerbaits and NO Jigs.I fish in what is best described as murkey water.What brands are best?What colors are best?What about trailers?Also,what does "Colorado Blades" and what does "Willow Leaf" blades look like?Thanks.
A lot of great advice already given.

Brands-like anything you get what you pay for, but I caught my biggest bass ever on a $.99 no-name brand. Now I make my own.

Colors-white, chartreuse/white, Chartreuse for stained water and shad colors.

Trailers-I very rarely use them. A curl tailed grub is what I use most, with an occasional split tailed trailer.

Blades:

Colorado

Willow

Most spinnerbaits have a tandem setup-a Colorado blade in front of a willow. I'd get a couple with silver blades, a couple with gold blades, and a couple gold/silver blade combos.

Jigs-best colors are black/blue, watermelon, and green pumpkin. Here I use trailers-usually something like a Zoom Salty Chunk that matches the color of the jig.
Old 12-28-06, 12:37 AM   #7
bubba bass bigfoot
BassFishin.Com Active Member

simple on what you want or need.
bubba bass bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 11:22 AM   #8
bassintxlady
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

as a person that spends alot on essentials for fishing here's what i would do...spend that money at BPS on baits that you are confident in....maybe if you see something that might peak your interest to try.....then go to walmart and buy a cheap jig or spinner and try them out that way if you loose them by chance you won't beat yourself up for having wasted the money on the good stuff.....
Old 12-30-06, 11:22 AM   #9
keithdog

Thought I'd add in my two cents. When it comes to spinnerbaits, I have a very particular preference. White skirt with Gold blades. I prefer double colorado blades for shallower water, with a willow colorado blade combo in deeper water. I have also had a good deal of luck with Terminators turtle back blades. I think thats what terminator calls them. Silver blades work also but I think I have better luck with gold. I usually use a contasting chartruese trailor of either a 3 inch twist gub or split tail trailer. As for jigs, I prefer the Stanley Brand in black and blue combo with a craw trailer of like color. One tip I have for you regarding jigs is this. Often the fiber weed guards are rather long extending up over and past the hook point. I read many years ago about trimming the fiber weedguards back untill they just barely cover the hook point for better hookups. I have to agree, it has helped in my hookup ratio. Another thing which works for me is taking a 1/4 to 1/8th oz white jig with a white trailer and casting it up onto the back. Then slowly crawl back it into the water towards you. Early in the morning I have taken several bass this way. I stumbled upon this lil trick one morning when I over cast my target up onto dry land. I began retrieving it back into the water when a nice 4 pounder grabbed it in about 2 foot of water.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 07:12 PM   #10
JB

try one double willow hammered spinnerbait with white skirt, esp. effective on windy days for hydrilla...you'll be pleasantly surprised!!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 07:14 PM   #11
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
try one double willow hammered spinnerbait with white skirt, esp. effective on windy days for hydrilla...you'll be pleasantly surprised!!
Now that is a great looking blade. Looks perfect for some of the schooling areas I've seen. How about a brand and color #

Lizards
Old 12-30-06, 07:29 PM   #12
pig n jig

That looks like a Fleck brand body,P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 07:32 PM   #13
pig n jig

Looked like a Fleck, but the R bends are different.P N J
Old 12-31-06, 01:25 AM   #14
JB

its a jaw spinnerbait.. $2.75 all day long

www.jawspinnerbaits.com

tell em jack sent ya and they'll probably kick yer a$$ rofl
lizards..they are in Anderson Ind...remember indiana? lol
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-06, 09:32 PM   #15
pig n jig

I seen those blades listed in the new 2007 Janns Netcraft catalog.Thanks for the site JB, I loved the old Fleck spinnerbait, but hate the new owners. This is the same body design.P N J

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.