Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-14-11, 09:33 PM   #1
Marc David
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Crankbait Reel

I'd really like to treat myself to a new reel dedicated for shallow/mid depth crankbait fishing. Would prefer to keep it under $250. What's your favorite reel for fishing cranks?
Marc David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 09:48 PM   #2
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Anything in the 5:2 to 5:4:1 area. With a $250 budget, you have a ton of great choices. I'd look at Shimano or BPS if it were me.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 09:58 PM   #3
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Revo Winch. But I've never used a Curado either.
Old 01-14-11, 10:05 PM   #4
walkeraviator

Revo winch
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 10:50 PM   #5
tomegun
BassFishin.Com Member

You can get two Curado's on eBay for $250
tomegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 11:16 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Daiwa Zillion CC can be had for about $250 if you look around eBay. That or a Revo Winch would be my choices.

For my shallow crankbait reel, I actually use a 6.4:1 Skeet Reese Revo. The long handle gives you more torque, making cranking still comfortable.

BB
Old 01-15-11, 02:25 AM   #7
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I am currently throwing my cranks on a Curado E5.I'm with Tom-E-Gun. You could just about get an E5 for the cranks and a E7 for other stuff off the net for 250.
Old 01-15-11, 02:40 AM   #8
carolina-rig-01

I have some Revo Winch's that I throw my medium to deep diving crankbaits on and I love them. However I usually throw my shallow running crankbaits on Revo SX'S.
Old 01-15-11, 07:48 AM   #9
keithdog

The Revos are great reels. You can't go wrong thee\re. And if you'd like to buy more than one crankin reel, check the BPS Pro Qualifier. Great little reel at half the price. I have two know and I swear I enjoy fishing with them as much as my 3 Revos. Plus you can get the PQ in many different gear ratios as well so you can 4.7:19 19" IPT for your large deep divers or a 5.2:1 21" for your other crankin needs.

Last edited by keithdog; 01-16-11 at 01:02 AM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-11, 10:41 AM   #10
Marc David

Looks like I may go with a Revo, thanks!
Marc David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-11, 10:51 AM   #11
Tavery5

There is allot of great information on many of the reels that have been discussed here in this side by side comparison.

http://www.tackletour.com/review2010lowspeedfinal.html
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-11, 10:57 AM   #12
Tavery5

I have used the Shimano Curado, and the Revo Winch for baitcasting duties. There are things that I like about both. I prefer the longer handle on the Revo, it also has a much stronger drag, not that it was ever a problem for me with the Curado. The Curado in my opinon is better at making long casts and felt smoother on the retrieve. I have been a guy that fished 90% Revo reels, but the Curado E5 is what made me open my eyes to the possibilities of the Shimano line.
Old 01-15-11, 09:32 PM   #13
champman

Cool crank'n reels

I have been using the Shimano curado e5 for all my cranking duties for two years now and would not trade them for anything. The new design of the reel feels great and it is smooth as butter casting as well as cranking back to the boat. I also agree that you can get two curado on e-bay for $250.00. I bought a new e5 and a used e7 for that amount. Good luck with whatever you decide on. Hey guys ,pull that throttle back a bit on rough waters. Lets leave the wake jumping to the jet ski boys and arrive safe.
champman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 01:51 AM   #14
tomegun
BassFishin.Com Member

Last years or two years series reels are more than plenty good. Especially, if they are brand new. I have an E7 and 101D curado's for crankin, plus I use a Chronarch 51 MG on my third crankin rod. I do love to crank. One lipless and 2 medium/medium deep crankin rods ready at all times.
tomegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 11:57 AM   #15
Apt79
BassFishin.Com Member

Id go with what Bassin said, if thats all your using it for then keep the reel speed a little higher. You can cover more water in shallows that way by getting it back to the boat quicker. Alot of times where I fish your only going to be shallow for a few yards so I want that lure back so I can target something else.
Apt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 01:46 PM   #16
DVT Mike

A lower ratio reel is most helpful with deep divers. A regular 6.1:1 should be fine for the others. I actually throw the really small shallow divers on spinning gear at times.
Old 01-20-11, 01:53 PM   #17
everettvet

I have read some good reviews about the Lew's speed spools. They retail for a little less than $100. They come in a 5.4:1, a 6.3:1 and I think a 7:1. Don't hold me to the exact numbers on the ratios but that is real close. www.wired2fish.com has an article about less expensive reels. I have never fished with one so if anyone has any experience, please chime in.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-11, 03:51 PM   #18
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Pretty nice article everettvet
Old 01-20-11, 04:46 PM   #19
pro reel

I'm a revo guy, but, i think the winch is overpriced for what it is. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice reel, but there is no good reason for it to be priced where it is. If my choice was a full priced winch or a Curado E 5. I would buy the Curado. Now, if I wasn't concerned about brand, I would get a BPS Pro Qualifier.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-11, 07:44 PM   #20
CiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
Now, if I wasn't concerned about brand, I would get a BPS Pro Qualifier.

Thats what I use. The BPS Qualifier 4.7:1 are my crank reels and at $79.99 a pop (on sale at times) I won't be buying anything else too soon.
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-11, 03:59 PM   #21
RonB
BassFishin.Com Member

I have been using Pflueger Presidents for crankin since early last year. I wouldn't change for anything else that I have seen.
RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 06:42 AM   #22
bassboogieman

I'm a Pflueger reel user also. Diving cranks I use the Asaro, which is very similiar to the President (- 2 bearings), except is has a slower rater of retrieve. Both are 6.3 ratio reels, the President is 28" per handle turn, the Asaro is 25", not a huge difference but I think the RoR is more important than ratio and it does slow the lure down a bit. Lipless cranks I use a Summit 7:1 and RoR is 28". The Asaro @ $129 (list) doesn't bust the budget either. The REVO Winch mentioned above is an exceptional cranking reel, but the 5:1 (or whatever it is), IMO would be better suited for deep cranks rather than the shallow to medium. Everyone has their preferences, that's mine.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 10:28 AM   #23
nofearengineer

Shop ebay, and get yourself a new Revo Winch for $120-140. End of story.
Old 01-26-11, 05:34 PM   #24
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I have used the Shimano Curado, and the Revo Winch for baitcasting duties. There are things that I like about both. I prefer the longer handle on the Revo, it also has a much stronger drag, not that it was ever a problem for me with the Curado. The Curado in my opinon is better at making long casts and felt smoother on the retrieve. I have been a guy that fished 90% Revo reels, but the Curado E5 is what made me open my eyes to the possibilities of the Shimano line.
Thanks! I really appreciate your assessment! If you had a chance to try this, which reel handled say, crankbaits in the 3/16 - 1/4 oz better?

Right now, by default my reel for working cranks has been my curado 101D or my 301A Cardiff, which has 5.x:1 gear ratio.
Old 01-26-11, 06:29 PM   #25
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Thanks! I really appreciate your assessment! If you had a chance to try this, which reel handled say, crankbaits in the 3/16 - 1/4 oz better?

Right now, by default my reel for working cranks has been my curado 101D or my 301A Cardiff, which has 5.x:1 gear ratio.

My opinion is the Curado is a better reel for the lighter baits, the spool seems to start up faster than the Revo. Not sure about spool weights but based on performance I would think that the Curado's spool would be lighter. I also feel that head to head the Curado, out performed the Winch in both distance of cast, and smoothness of retrieve. Like I stated before, I consider myself to be an ABU guy, but in this case I feel Shimano has the better product. Hope it helps.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.